C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the C6 so expensive ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

:craz y:
Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrooklynC6
As compared to the new Camaro SS , fully loaded at about 35K ??
Your not serious are you? have you ever looked underneath the car? Torque tube, sandwiched balsa panels wrapped in steel, full frame, cast aluminum suspension pieces, composite materials for light weight.. etc..
All engineered to handle the torque and speed. This is a low numbers production car....
I'm glad it's kind of pricey.. keeps the punks out
Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lander
I don't believe you've postulated your question properly. What specifically would you like someone to provide you in order to satisfy your curiosity about whatever it is you're seeking an answer to?

Do you want a cost work up of all the individual parts? A market research portfolio on what the target market says can sustain a price level? A labor cost analysis to determine the labor costs involved in simply producing not only the parts, but the whole as well?

Perhaps if you were more specific, you could find an answer that will satisfy you. Until then this thread is simply a means for you to ridicule those that really don't care.
No ridicule here chief ... but if you would like to post up a full analysis and breakdown , that would be GREAT

Originally Posted by k0bun
Because there is no Camaro Race team to financially support.

. Can I make a funny pic?
Please do ....

Originally Posted by jaki30
If you look back at the prices of the Camaro and the Corvette back through the last 40 years, you will notice that the Vette was always about 40-50% more than the Camaro.
Interesting ...... and there were years where the Camaro was faster ( straightline ) than the Vette !
Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

It's not expensive. As a matter of fact, it is one of the best values for what you get....a world class high performance sportscar for 40-50% less that other cars in its category. You get what you pay for...in the case of the Corvette, you get so much more. Enjoy the Camaro...I hope you will get what you pay for...and I don't say that to demean the Camaro, I'm sure it will be a great pony car.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Your not serious are you? have you ever looked underneath the car? Torque tube, sandwiched balsa panels wrapped in steel, full frame, cast aluminum suspension pieces, composite materials for light weight.. etc..
All engineered to handle the torque and speed. This is a low numbers production car....
I'm glad it's kind of pricey.. keeps the punks out
No , I havent .... but thanks for pointing that stuff out - I assume the Camaro doesnt have these things ?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 PM
jerrymcb
Safety Car

No , I havent .... but thanks for pointing that stuff out - I assume the Camaro doesnt have these things ?
You have been given a lot of good information here but you are not
processing it. It also appears that you are not knowledgeable about
Corvette design. No the Camaro does not have this. Please tell us
what all these shared parts in the Corvette are.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrymcb
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,264 Likes on 922 Posts

The cost of production and the C-6 tax.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to take some time and STUDY your C6 and the Corvette History. The Vette shares an Engine with the Camaro and not much else. I'd bet MUCH MORE R&D was placed into the Vette than the Camaro. If you study the Camaro, then your C6 and compare you will find the answer. For me its this simple, the Corvette is something that the Camaro isn't. A sports car, that can compete on the track and street with high end sports cars. The Camaro is a car that is in competition with the Mustang! At the time the F55 package was introduced how many production cars had a suspension like that? Does the Camaro have it now? Dude learn your car!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jerrymcb
Originally Posted by Beach
You need to take some time and STUDY your C6 and the Corvette History. The Vette shares an Engine with the Camaro and not much else. I'd bet MUCH MORE R&D was placed into the Vette than the Camaro. If you study the Camaro, then your C6 and compare you will find the answer. For me its this simple, the Corvette is something that the Camaro isn't. A sports car, that can compete on the track and street with high end sports cars. The Camaro is a car that is in competition with the Mustang! At the time the F55 package was introduced how many production cars had a suspension like that? Does the Camaro have it now? Dude learn your car!
Dont have the need to learn my car - Thats why I have professionals work on it for me - I just like to drive it very fast .

If I knew , I wouldnt ask the question , and wouldnt learn the answers .
Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

As compared to the new Camaro SS , fully loaded at about 35K ??

I understand the Z06 being so much , with the 427 , carbon fiber body parts , aluminum frame ect .

But the base C6 , fully loaded at over 60k , has the same engine and tranny . Nothing on the C6 coupe is particularly hi-tech .

So whats up ??!!??!!

( Note , Im not complaining about the C6 price , its still one of the best bangs for the buck on the planet .. Im just sayin' ......)
It has to do with all the years of research, design and development.
All other vehicles in the GM line benefit from the Technology of the Corvette.
Even the engine in the Escalade is born from the Vette motor.
And as someone else pointed out, although not in these exact words,...
the Camaro is a car and the Vette is a car, but ... they are TOTALY DIFFERENT.
Structurally, materially, designwise... you name it.
The Vette is so far more advanced it is no comparison.
I've been looking at Vettes for the past 2 years and when the new Camaro was announced I thought cool.
Get a great car, for less money and I'll be Happy.
I know what they'll drive and perform like and they are going to Blow away the Competition.
The Challenger, Mustang and any other car in the same Category is nothing compared to the New Camaro.

But then I drove a New C6 Vette and money was no longer an issue in the decision.

End Of Story !

Do some hard research into what the C6 is and you'll have the answer to your question
Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

There are some good answers here that help show why the pricing of a vette is considered to be reasonable.

The bottom line is: A car, a vette or anything has a value of what someone is willing to pay. Most vette owners will agree that the price they pay for the rewards they receive from ownership is money is well spent.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 222 Posts

Engineering and volume....
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Dont have the need to learn my car - Thats why I have professionals work on it for me - I just like to drive it very fast .

If I knew , I wouldnt ask the question , and wouldnt learn the answers .
Well, that explains a lot. And I don't mean that in a bad or condesending way.
I mean it in a good way trying to understand your question.
If you don't know but also don't do it yourself it can't be answered in words.
It's like trying to explain what an Orange, or a piece of Chocolate taste like.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
McDoo
2nd Gear

While I would STONGLY disagree with the underlined sentence , the rest of the post is exactly what I was looking for - Thanks

That all makes sense !

Also , good answer .

Agreed , nor was I trying to compare the two

You need to look at things in prospective. I too have owned early and late Porsche's and have also owned C2's, C4's and now a new C6. Porsche has gone from 25K to way over 135K for a nice Turbo whereas the Corvette tops the scale at just under $60k and all you really get with a Turbo Porsche is a nice interior since the C6 will run with any of them. So yeah the Vette has a world class interior and as far as the exterior fit the C6 is just the same as the new turbo Porsche that sits next to it that the wife drives. The c6 is the best bang for the buck out there....

Now that said, the Camero at the mid 30K range is a total bargain when compared to a Mustang GT500 that the dealers still rip you for over MSRP....

Don't ask me about Cobra's cause I have owned those
POS things and they don't even figure in the equation...

McDoo
Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

No ridicule here chief ... but if you would like to post up a full analysis and breakdown , that would be GREAT

Tell you what, Pocahontas, since you're not really a car guy, I'll save my analytical work for someone that is.

It's really expensive because it's really fast.

There...that should do it for ya!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Interesting...went to Edmunds to compare a base C6 with a fully optioned SS...TMV on the Camaro is $39,495...on the C6? $44,547.

I'd take the base C6 any day.

So the question, to me, is why is that POS Camaro so damn expensive when compared to a C6?

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the C6 so expensive ?????

Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lander
Tell you what, Pocahontas, since you're not really a car guy, I'll save my analytical work for someone that is.

It's really expensive because it's really fast.

There...that should do it for ya!
If thats it for you and this thread , that answer will work nicely . Thanks for attitude , D-Bag .
Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Why does a 911 cost a lot more than a Cayman? Same reasoning with the Vette vs Camaro. I'm glad the Corvette is a little too expensive for some people and is only a two seater. That keeps some people out of it that should probably get some experienced driving first before they try to control a car that carries less then 8 lbs per HP. With the Camaro you are looking at around 10 lbs per HP. The Camaro and Vette should never be compared IMO. Both are really different cars. Camaro and Mustang is a better match then the stock C6 arrives to kick the butt of any Mustang that stickers above $50k that the Camaro can't beat.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

If thats it for you and this thread , that answer will work nicely . Thanks for attitude , D-Bag .
No...but this post is. Interesting you ignore the price comparison post I made which totally blows what little argument you had completely out of the water...but that aside, I'm not really interested in members that belittle other members.

Have a good one!

Quick Reply: Why is the C6 so expensive ?????