C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the C6 so expensive ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if GM is subsidizing the cost of the Camaro? If they are banking on selling Mustang-like volumes of the things, they can get away with less of a profit margin on each car.
I get your drift with the original post--in a way, it seems like the brand-new Camaro is being given at a huge discount all the hard work the Corvette has done over the last few decades.
Each year Corvette is thrown into a pit of competition that gets faster and more refined, and thanks to the engineers at GM the vette manages to keep up with the pack. Every year the car seems to get faster and more complicated. How much money has been spent on research for that small block alone?
Time will tell if the Camaro is really that much of a bargain. The Corvette has proven itself; if the new Camaro holds up as well--reliability, performance, endurance, heritage--then we can call the vette overpriced. I really doubt it. I am driving an icon; the new Camaro, for now, is just a good looking car.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BrooklynC6

I just want to know WHY it costs what it does .
1. They have an exclusive assembly plant. So cost per unit rolling out is higher

2. Because of the Camaro w/LS3 being near 40K, The base price C6 would be close, so they bumped the price..

3. Inflation....

4. GM is trying to change the Corvette's image so they bumped the price out of rednecks budget........

5. Short version of #4. Too many Vettes in Trailer Parks.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 469 Likes on 240 Posts

Even though the Camero is a more recent design than the vette, the Vette has a lot more technology in it than the Camero.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

I know , but it does play a big part .
The gross margins on the two cars are no doubt completely different. Attempting to add up the price of parts is pointless.

The cost does impose a lower-limit on the retail price, but that's about it.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

Style both interior and exterior, balance, better Hp vs weight ratio, better handling, etc. Performance = $$$$$.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Even though the Camero is a more recent design than the vette, the Vette has a lot more technology in it than the Camero.
Uh, what technology might that be? A really bad stereo with mixed mono (1955 tech) and cheap Mexican paper cone speakers? Dozens of electromechanical relays instead of solid state switches? (Relay technology is over 100 years old, and failure prone.) Nasty Sachs OEM shocks that cause the rear of the car to skitter?

The Corvette is plastic, but it has been since 1953, so that isn't exactly new or high tech. The Corvette uses an engine developed for Chevy trucks (L92) with trivial modifications to make it a LS3. It is a very nice engine, but its basic technology was developed in 1955. The auto tranny has button shift, but Chrysler had push button on the dash shifting in the 1961 Valiant. Nothing new there either. And BTW for whoever touted the tranny in the rear, the 1963 Pontiac Tempest used a torque tube and had its transmission located in the rear with the differential. Corvette's laminated balsa wood floors are about the most advanced high tech thing about the car. That does save a small amount of weight, but the Corvette weighs more than 1.5 tons, almost the same to the pound as a 1967 Impala. That's not light. A real sports car, the Austin Healey Sprite, weighed in a 1435 pounds. That's a light car. Where's the beef?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shopdog
Uh, what technology might that be?
It's a car. At a fundamental level, most systems in cars have been around for a while.

Aside from the engine-management, active handling, and navigation gadgets, most of the really game-changing tech is in R&D, materials science and manufacturing. That's how they're able to mass-produce super-reliable cars with ultra-low emissions that do mid-12s in the quarter mile, lap the 'ring in the high 7-minutes and hold up in crash tests.

Nobody was able to pull that off even ten years ago.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 AM
rockitt66
Intermediate

Default Top End Feel

This is a very valid question and as much response that's came from it means that we've all rationalized it at some point. For me it only came when I broke 170mph, after that there was a true sense of value of the C6.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The two main factors that determine why the Corvette is so expensive are marketing research, and supply vs. demand. Not the build cost or the development cost.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

But the base C6 , fully loaded at over 60k , has the same engine and tranny . Nothing on the C6 coupe is particularly hi-tech .

)
You don't know what you are talking about or how cars are constructed. Read some Corvette engineering books. Also, the lower the volume the higher the price.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by 08crm
BECAUSE PEOPLE PAY IT is the bottom line!
What the mkt will bear! Doesnt matter what engineering, matls, etc involved. The price and cost is set based on the market and minimum desired units sold.

Last edited by CPG1962; 05-05-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
You're looking at retail pricing as though it's based on a cost-plus formula. It isn't.

Best answer here!

Retail is based on what the market will bear,always has,always will.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Uh, what technology might that be? A really bad stereo with mixed mono (1955 tech) and cheap Mexican paper cone speakers? Dozens of electromechanical relays instead of solid state switches? (Relay technology is over 100 years old, and failure prone.) Nasty Sachs OEM shocks that cause the rear of the car to skitter?

The Corvette is plastic, but it has been since 1953, so that isn't exactly new or high tech. The Corvette uses an engine developed for Chevy trucks (L92) with trivial modifications to make it a LS3. It is a very nice engine, but its basic technology was developed in 1955. The auto tranny has button shift, but Chrysler had push button on the dash shifting in the 1961 Valiant. Nothing new there either. And BTW for whoever touted the tranny in the rear, the 1963 Pontiac Tempest used a torque tube and had its transmission located in the rear with the differential. Corvette's laminated balsa wood floors are about the most advanced high tech thing about the car. That does save a small amount of weight, but the Corvette weighs more than 1.5 tons, almost the same to the pound as a 1967 Impala. That's not light. A real sports car, the Austin Healey Sprite, weighed in a 1435 pounds. That's a light car. Where's the beef?
How about all the saftey features... You talk about relays.. but forget how many computers are onboard that communicate via a lan which saves wiring/weight and relays. The "truck" engine as you call it with fuel injection so precise that allows the mileage we get, drive by wire, low emissions without performance degradation. ABS, stability control.
Indexed windows, HUD, sat radio, bluetooth.. etc..
Most of these high tech add-ons come without a weight penalty.

As for the Austin Healey sprite... you got wood floors that rot, no power, lousy electonics, fussy carbs, crap brakes, no room or comfort,
but you're right about one thing.. it weighed less.. hardly a car never mind a sports car
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
SpdWhite
Racer

Default Interesting Thread

Someone here mentioned the seperate factory.

I am surprised no one has mentioned tooling costs. The costs for tooling of a hydroformed frame and tooling for the "glass" body panels is more than a stamped or bent metal chassis/body.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by torquetube
It's a car. At a fundamental level, most systems in cars have been around for a while.

Aside from the engine-management, active handling, and navigation gadgets, most of the really game-changing tech is in R&D, materials science and manufacturing. That's how they're able to mass-produce super-reliable cars with ultra-low emissions that do mid-12s in the quarter mile, lap the 'ring in the high 7-minutes and hold up in crash tests.

Nobody was able to pull that off even ten years ago.
What crash tests? Do you have any written crash test data?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with all of what you said .... BUT ....

I didnt answer my question .

Its not a matter of "is it worth it" - IT IS .

Its a matter of WHY is it so expensive .

If GM can make , and profit off of a 30k Camaro , why not price the Vette at 35k and sell them like hot cakes ....
What you are really saying, you wish you had a Vette so your trying to convince your self, you made the right choice... Bottomline you really wanted a Vette! You take this to the bank
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
What crash tests? Do you have any written crash test data?
I do, actually - a full report on the side-impact performance of the C6. They don't just design these things and never test them.

I have no idea why the NHTSA web site doesn't include this data, or data for so many other cars which are also crash-tested.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the C6 so expensive ?????

Old 05-05-2009, 11:12 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be really interesting to do a bare bones cost comparison and business model test of the two models. Take away the excess GM costs and advertising too.
Would be an interesting case! I see where your questions are coming from.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Intersting post - Thank you .Thats kind of what I was thinking , so I guess the answer is more along a marketing line .

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
You don't know what you are talking about or how cars are constructed. Read some Corvette engineering books. Also, the lower the volume the higher the price.
Read the above post , seems like that guy knows what hes talking about .

Originally Posted by JC6
What you are really saying, you wish you had a Vette so your trying to convince your self, you made the right choice... Bottomline you really wanted a Vette! You take this to the bank
I have a Vette , my fourth in fact . I was just wondering ....

Originally Posted by BSE1956
It would be really interesting to do a bare bones cost comparison and business model test of the two models. Take away the excess GM costs and advertising too.
Would be an interesting case! I see where your questions are coming from.
Thats all my intention in starting this thread was
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

You could also got to the far end of the extreme as say why not get the cheepest Hyundai you can buy instead of a Corvette. Both will get you from point A to point B. Both will go the posted legal speed limit. What's the difference????

Mark

Quick Reply: Why is the C6 so expensive ?????