C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Front tire wear... Feather Edging

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Default 2008 Front tire wear... Feather Edging

Has anybody had problems with wear on the outside out the tire. It's feather edging. I had 3800 miles on it, took it back to the dealer, and they replaced the front tires and realigned it. Now I have another 3200 miles on it since the new tires and alignment, and it's doing it again. Does GM have a problem aligning our cars? My brother bought a 2006 C6 new, and his tires prematurely wore the tires out on the insides. You would think for what we pay for these, we wouldn't have these issues. Looks like I will be on my 3rd set of front tires and third alignment with 7000 miles on the car.

Last edited by tpi 421 vette; 05-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually wearing out outside edge of your tires means that you are leaning on them hard in the corners. Do you autocross or do HPDEs with your car? That would definitely wear the outside edges. Or maybe you drive hard on tight twistly roads?

Everybody drives their cars differently, so GM can't possibly align them to one spec that is perfect for everybody. You should taylor your alignment to how you plan to use the car.

- Mark
Old 05-12-2009, 10:03 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

I really don't drive it that hard. I have my C4 to go out and hammer on. Every now and then, I will corner it a little. But overall, it really gets driven pretty easy.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said you had it aligned with your last set of tires. Do you have the sheet that shows what alignment specs they set it at?

- Mark
Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like an alignment issue.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
You said you had it aligned with your last set of tires. Do you have the sheet that shows what alignment specs they set it at?

- Mark
The dealer didn't give the alignment spec's. Maybe I need to have them put new tires on my car every 3000 miles
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

there are specs for the Corvette for easy driving (but not maximizing the handling for a road course) on this site; the search tab above will locate it. what you need to find is a very good alignment shop that has the right equipment and doesn't just align it to "within spec" but actually brings it down to what is recommended/needed. I doubt seriously that at this mileage you have an issue in your suspension components which could also cause this to happen. Suggestion: talk to racers, Corvette clubs, etc. in your area for a good alignment shop.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
there are specs for the Corvette for easy driving (but not maximizing the handling for a road course) on this site; the search tab above will locate it. what you need to find is a very good alignment shop that has the right equipment and doesn't just align it to "within spec" but actually brings it down to what is recommended/needed. I doubt seriously that at this mileage you have an issue in your suspension components which could also cause this to happen. Suggestion: talk to racers, Corvette clubs, etc. in your area for a good alignment shop.
I had inside wear at 12K. The Chev Tech said "nothing can be done about it, all Vets wear tires out fast"... So, I took it to a shop that does race cars.... these guys are the real pros on alignments....
good luck
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

I am half tempted to take it a local shop that specilizes in alignments, and just pay for it. But I also think GM needs to know there are some alignment issues going on here.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

The more I think about it, I will take your suggestion, and have an alignment specialty shop do a alignment on it. There is a good one here in SLC I have used before.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree with you. But please don't think this is a "set it and forget" thing. It's got to be done every once in awhile, and sometimes more often than you'd like.

It depends on your roads (potholes), what you hit (like curbs), and how you drive. Generally, it doesn't have to be done every year, or at any set mileage. The best thing is to watch your tires; they will tell you how it's going. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

I agree with you. But please don't think this is a "set it and forget" thing. It's got to be done every once in awhile, and sometimes more often than you'd like.

It depends on your roads (potholes), what you hit (like curbs), and how you drive. Generally, it doesn't have to be done every year, or at any set mileage. The best thing is to watch your tires; they will tell you how it's going. Good luck.

I can totally relate to what you are saying. I was a ASE Certified Master Auto technician. I watch tire wear real close. Most people would glace at my front tires, and think everything is ok. I run my hand over them to check for feather edging. Alot of people don't know what that even means.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 AM
C746490
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 08 in to the dealer and the mechanic said that the outside wears due to the width of the tire. He went on to explain that when you are in a parking lot or some place where you make tight turns the tire slides sideways rather then rolls - I thought about it and went to a parking lot and listened when making sharp turns and I could hear and feel the tire sliding. This is on the outside edges only, I don't know about the inside wear issues.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Front tire wear... Feather Edging

Quick Reply: 2008 Front tire wear... Feather Edging