C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Mode Exhaust?? What the purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
RKN2DR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking into the M2W options and found this one with the control button on the shifter...I already purchased the toggle switch but haven't installed it yet

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...1-39-9890.html
Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM
c6chaz
Burning Brakes

npp is the greatest/ fun fun fun ????????
Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM
TigerVette
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

The dual mode exhaust is so , it will make your sticker peck out!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cool thing is that you cruise along sounding like the civilized touring car it is, but when you downshift and put your foot in it to pass someone it instantly acts and sounds like the 436 HP fire breathing american V-8 sports car it is. Orgasmic!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Better sound, more horsepower.....whats not to like?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
jrnorman
Racer

Default No drone with bypass closed - NONE!

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I am interested to hear it in person while driving down the road. Considering my car is doing ~95mph at 2000rpm I would need to make sure that there is zero drone from 1500 to 2000 rpm while the flaps are closed.
While you could keep it open with a switch (one of the many Mild to Wild kits you can add on) when the processor is controlling it does not open until a mid range rpm (I think it is around 2500 but others are saying 3000 and 3500) but that is not the full story because it also requires a nearly wide open throttle so unless you have it opened manually it will not be open while cruising until around 140 or so! And if you cruise that fast it really doesn't matter because you won’t be doing it for long anyway.

FYI to all you guys with NPP who hate the low rpm drone, I recently installed the insulation kit from Madvette Motorsports and there is no more drone inside with the windows up. It is louder with the M2W open but just louder - no resonance, no drone. I am guessing that the drone is from a resonance with the back of the car, cargo floor or the cubbies. This kit puts a lot of insulation on the back compartment and especially the waterfall. I added some dynamat type material to the cubbies. I cruised up and down HWY 6 in Sugar Land, TX all morning and it was a blast. For those not familiar with the area, that is a lot of lights, lots of stop and go and lots of idling! It was a major effort to put it in but it makes a remarkably significant difference.
Happy Motoring with NPP!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Houston Z51
Instructor

Here is the Factory Description.

Exhaust Tail Pipe Flow Control System Description and Operation

The Exhaust Flow Control (EFC) System enhances engine performance. The system has 2 modes of operation:

• Normal
• Competition

Normal Mode
When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running the exhaust flow control module (EFCM) commands the vacuum solenoid On, which supplies engine vacuum to both exhaust flow control valves. This causes the valves to close, diverting exhaust flow through a baffled path inside the mufflers. As vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3500 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open, diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers, thus enhancing engine performance.

Competition Mode
When traction control is driver disabled, vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3000 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open; diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers more frequently and at lower engine speeds.

The system also delays exhaust valve activity during wide-open throttle acceleration to inhibit exhaust valve actuation when the accelerator pedal is released and reapplied while shifting gears.

The EFCM has the ability to detect electrical malfunctions within the system. Any electrical malfunction detected will cause the system to be disabled and increased exhaust audibility.

The system uses the engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), EFCM, exhaust flow control valve vacuum solenoid, vacuum reservoir, vacuum lines, 2 exhaust flow control valves and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.

Mine is a daily driver, and when you cruise on the hwy daily with a tie, you dont need wild sound ..................but you can take any challenge from any car at any time and that sudden ROAR really makes a difference (to hell with the Tie )
Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

The sound of the NPP opening up at 3500 RPM is phenomenal!

I have a Y intersection coming off of a freeway with a yield sign.
I always wait for a clear shot, and then let er rip, the roar of the American V8 with NPP opening up, gives me a thrill each time I do it!

Quick Reply: Dual Mode Exhaust?? What the purpose?