C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I had a 95 coupe and the turbulence with the top off was horrible when I first tried it. The only way to drive it with top off was to get one of the attachments to hold the rear hatch open a couple of inches to allow the air to flow thru. It did fine then. I have not driven a C6 coupe but don't think it is any longer a problem.

I have mostly had convertibles except for the 95 coupe and a couple Z06's.

All Corvettes are a great experience. Test drive several and buy what your pocketbook can afford that you like.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfalkowitz
I am a 24 year old med student waiting for the day when I can afford my dream car...QUESTION: Which is better? == VERT vs. COUPE...Also, in the coupe, do you actually get a real open air experience when you take the top off?? Thanks for your replies...Hope to be saluting all of you from the road someday soon
You are young and have the advantage of time. Both cars have their advantages......... Just promise yourself, if not now, once in your life have a convertible. It is a completely different experience. Coupe's are more practical, are better suited for track use, and perhaps more suited for a daily driver. Having said that, nothing else delivers the experience of a convertible....... Enjoy each and every car you own, someday, retrospectively, you'll look back on your favorite.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 2006 coupe and found removing the top an inconvenience. Along with that there is no cargo space with the top stored. Plus, the road noise is terrible. I found being in the coupe like being on the inside of a drum. I sold it and now have a 2007 convertible. Top up, the internal road noise is much less than the coupe. I live in Florida where we can practically drive 365 days a year with the top down and dropping the top now is a breeze - I don't have to leave the driver's seat.

Drive both - especially at highway speeds.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

OK, here is the best research in my opinion!
Women prefer verts!
older men prefer verts!
younger men prefer coupes!
coupes are cheaper so many buyers stick w/coupes!

Given my choice, I would have a vert, but the coupe was more affordable so I got all the bells and whistles on a coupe for the price of a stipped down vert!

Vert is funner!
Coupe looks meaner!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Devereaux
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

"OK, here is the best research in my opinion!
Women prefer verts!
older men prefer verts!
younger men prefer coupes!
coupes are cheaper so many buyers stick w/coupes!"

Probably good research. I am just over 60. I've owned a bunch of coupes, always because they handled better than similar verts. Even had a 914-6, and you could FEEL the difference in handling (frame twist in a hard corner) with the targa top off. Never had a vert until I bought an 04 350Z. Now I have an 07 vert, and love the fact that I can put the top down. Love the look of the car with the tannneau down. Love the feel of the wind blowing. It's loud, but who cares. There's enough space for me and the wife for a short trip, and that's fine, too. And I don't track anymore, so the vert isn't an issue; were it, I'd have a coupe. And yes, your WIFE will hate to have her hair blown, but - I tell her to get a beret.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I would bet that if you were to take the top off of a coupe and store it in its holders in the back, you might have less cargo space than a convertible with the top down. I can put two golf bags in my trunk with the top down....is there room for those two golf bags in a coupe with the roof panel in there?
Coupe top stored in back, still room for two sets of clubs plus plenty more.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sfalkowitz
QUESTION: Which is better? == VERT vs. COUPE
Seriously, only you can anser that question.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Ragtops all the Way. Short Story: Sometime ago while on a cruise with other club members, I parked next to an '03 Anniversary coupe (with special anniversary paint and emblems) with my torch red '03 vert with tan roof and seats. The other car had numerous mods, i.e. HRE wheels, exhaust, etc. etc. while my car was mostly stock. Some kids were admiring both cars and I asked them which car they liked best. They said "that one" pointing to my car. I asked why, and they said "because its a convertible." Nice!

Save the Wave
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Get one of each. That will solve the problem.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Cal Vert Man
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question and the related discussion has been tossed around longer than the Z51 vs F55 vs stock suspension issue.

The opinions are strong, and emotional.

The only way you can make an intelligent decision is to experience both for yourself.

Generlly speaking: The convertible is about $7,000 more, based on MSRP, and as you have already read there is limited visability in the convertible when the top is up.

Personally speaking: I've owned both, and appreaciated the advantages of both; however, being an old school type of guy there is nothing to compare with driving topless. (all Corvettes were convertibles until 1963) If your lady is the 'no turbulance' type, and you have to have a vert, buy the GM wind screen, and tell her to put her window up.

Good luck with your decision, and post pics of your new ride when you get it.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coryvte
Coupe top stored in back, still room for two sets of clubs plus plenty more.
Curious, that was not the case with my 2006 coupe.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
GaryW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few of the responses have talked about verts only being suitable for "nice weather" and requiring a lot of cleaning/maintenance of the roof...

My vert is a daily driver, as was my C5 vert (and a Z4 vert, but let's not go there!). I live in a "temperate" climate - it rains a lot, gets cold but not arctic in winter, and can get pretty hot in summer. Never had a problem with a vert. if it rains, just put the roof up! At all other times, roof down.

As for cleaning and maintenance, I never do anything apart from give it quick once-over with a wet sponge. Mind you, I always specify black roofs. If you go for a light-coloured roof you're entering a while world of pain if you're the sort of person that likes your car to look showroom fresh all the time...

There is nothing cooler than cruising in a convertible Vette
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

My goal is to have my Vert first, as that is my DD, then eventually have a Z06 also. But only having one now, its got to be the Vert. My observations are:

1. Vert top goes up and down easy and fast.
2. Airflow and 'top off' experience better in Vert than Coupe.
3. Vert quieter than coupe with top up or down.
4. With top up or down, I like the roofline better than Coupe.
5. Car designed as Vert, so nothing given up as far as chassis stiffness or weight.
6. I like having separate lockable trunk, useable even when top is down. I almost never put top up in the summer. I can leave golf clubs in the trunk when car is locked with top off.
7. Car is a DD, never tracked.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
tseibert
Instructor

Loved my coupe and would have no problem buying another, but there's nothing like a vert with the top down on a nice day.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:58 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If you are married or plan on taking the plunge then I suggest you ask teh Mrs. what she likes. That factor right there had a lot of influence in my deciscion

Old 05-30-2009, 04:48 PM
sfalkowitz
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all of your responses!!!! I will not be purchasing a Corvette for quite a long time, but I will continue to dream until that day. Until then, I will be an obsessed forum member. And from all of your responses, it is quite clear that the nicest drivers on the roads are the ones burning up the pavement in their Chevy's!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:49 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
My goal is to have my Vert first, as that is my DD, then eventually have a Z06 also. But only having one now, its got to be the Vert. My observations are:

1. Vert top goes up and down easy and fast.
2. Airflow and 'top off' experience better in Vert than Coupe.
3. Vert quieter than coupe with top up or down.
4. With top up or down, I like the roofline better than Coupe.
5. Car designed as Vert, so nothing given up as far as chassis stiffness or weight.
6. I like having separate lockable trunk, useable even when top is down. I almost never put top up in the summer. I can leave golf clubs in the trunk when car is locked with top off.
7. Car is a DD, never tracked.
I couldn't have said it better! But I still want one of each.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Coupe is the only way to go. If you need a convertible you can take the top off. I live at the beach and most convertibles I see have the top up. Once and awhile they are down. What about parking? Do you raise it?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default most unique

the vert is a stand alone with top down.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Here we go again. Vert will provide you a more open air feel, no doubt about it. The drawbacks for the Vert is that you can't go on a lot of tracks, the outside temperature has a smaller range in the Vette (I feel comfortable with the roof off in my couple from 50-100 degrees) and the vert will have more body flex although it is very good on a Vette. Vert is also more expensive of course.

It is also a lot easier to screw up a vert if someone is pissed at you or your car. One quick swipe of a sharp object and it is good bye top.

The vert does require more maintenance and can be expensive after 3/36. The coupe did have a problem with its latches but mine has been silent since the new latches were installed months ago.

Roof line is a personal opinion. Personally I like the coupe either top down/removed or up/on. The coupe is also more aerodynamic.

Both are fantastic though. It is just a matter of what suits your style the most.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?