C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does everyone clean their vararam filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Capt.vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does everyone clean their vararam filter?

Trying to get my vararam filter cleaned but im not quite sure which method to use. I read use dish soap and then let it dry and then use wd 40. But then on the same thread it said dont use wd 40 and vararam has a special cleaning kit but i cant find it on their site. On the same post vararam industires wrote to call them to order the kit but when I called the number it said it was disconected. Does anyone have any advice on how they clean theirs?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:46 PM
FUNTRUN
Racer

Default Vararam cleaning

I usually vacuum out the larger pieces of debris with my shop vac and then put the filter in a bucket filled with dish soap & water. Let it soak for a while and then swish it around ,technical term, the bucket till it's clean. Rinse off, let it sit in sun until dry. I apply a light coat of K&Ns product at that point. She should be ready to go.
I actually tape the filter into the housing so it gets a complete seal. In this way ALL air/debris goes into the filter.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:55 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I have the green filter and there is a special kit for it. You're not supposed to use WD 40 on it. I just cleaned mine a couple weeks ago and it was pretty easy with the included cleaning and oiling solutions. Before oiling you need to let it dry completely. They reccomend natural drying to avoid shrinkage from too much heat and that can take a little while.

You can go to GreenFilterUSA.com and get what you need.

Last edited by FunDriver; 06-07-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Capt.vette
Advanced

Thanks I just ordere some and should get it in a few days
Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FUNTRUN
I usually vacuum out the larger pieces of debris with my shop vac and then put the filter in a bucket filled with dish soap & water. Let it soak for a while and then swish it around ,technical term, the bucket till it's clean. Rinse off, let it sit in sun until dry. I apply a light coat of K&Ns product at that point. She should be ready to go.
I actually tape the filter into the housing so it gets a complete seal. In this way ALL air/debris goes into the filter.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got this from the VR website install sheet:

Cleaning the filter
Any after market filter cleaning kit will work. If you choose not to use an aftermarket cleaning kit, wash using warm water from the back side of the filter. Use a liquid detergent, lather filter very well and the rinse again from backside of filter. You may dry filter with hair dryer, or let dry naturally. Once dry re-oil filter with any aftermarket filter oil or we prefer WD-
Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mongooseC6
I got this from the VR website install sheet:

Cleaning the filter
Any after market filter cleaning kit will work. If you choose not to use an aftermarket cleaning kit, wash using warm water from the back side of the filter. Use a liquid detergent, lather filter very well and the rinse again from backside of filter. You may dry filter with hair dryer, or let dry naturally. Once dry re-oil filter with any aftermarket filter oil or we prefer WD-
That's what Steve (VR) told me, as well. Seems like they'd know about using WD-40 or not.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Capt.vette
Advanced

Im just playing it safe and ordered the cleaning kit for the green filters. I appreciate the help.

Get notified of new replies

To How does everyone clean their vararam filter?

Quick Reply: How does everyone clean their vararam filter?