C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:55 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension

I love the GTR Altima comparison. Spot on with that one. The car is destined to be just another Asian sports car with absolutely no lasting legacy at all.
False. Just because it doesn't have a legacy here doesn't mean that there isn't one. The Skyline has been around since the late fifties and the GTR has been terrorizing streets since 1969. While the car is new to our shores, the Gran Turismo series has ensured that the Skyline will have a place in history. May not be quite a huge notch in history as the Vette but its not a car that will disappear. Just trying to give credit where its due.

Also, the Altima/Skyline similarities: Can you blame a company for wanting to mimick some styling elements from its halo cars? You may never confuse a cobalt with a vette but ever where the cobalt coupe got it's taillights?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
False. Just because it doesn't have a legacy here doesn't mean that there isn't one. The Skyline has been around since the late fifties and the GTR has been terrorizing streets since 1969. While the car is new to our shores, the Gran Turismo series has ensured that the Skyline will have a place in history. May not be quite a huge notch in history as the Vette but its not a car that will disappear. Just trying to give credit where its due.

Also, the Altima/Skyline similarities: Can you blame a company for wanting to mimick some styling elements from its halo cars? You may never confuse a cobalt with a vette but ever where the cobalt coupe got it's taillights?
Personaly I only care about what happens in America. I have no need or want to go look at classic cars in Japan and what they made in the 60's.

There is a HUGE difference between a styling cue and a blantant copy of continuos bland styling. I have no problem with a styling cue taken from another car such as tailights. But, to continue to copy bland and somewhat ugly styles and present it as a super car is indeed sad.

However, it does look better in person then in pictures.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

The GTR styling isn't my cup of tea, either, but I think they set out to make it look "menacing" or "alien," whereas GM clearly intended the Corvette to look gorgeous.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiKLR
I always think they are those Altima coupe's. Just change out the tails.

Might just be me though...Cool cars but would take a Vette any day of the week over them.
Thank you, I think the same thing. I kept seeing Altima coupes around here and would think there was actually a GTR in Bloomington, then I'd get closer and be extremely disappointed to see it was in fact an Altima coupe. Always reminds me of my previous years in 04 and 06 GTO's where I had people asking me if it was the new Grand Prix and Grand Am. regardless of the fact I had a 397rwhp LS2 under the hood I still had the shame of driving what looked like an even more boring Grand Prix.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I have always just assumed that the GTR was based on the 370Z chassis,....is this not the case? Did they do a whole new chassis for this car?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by WhItEKnIgHt23
I love sweet cars...domestic, japanese, and european. As a kid loved corvettes and lamborghinis. In college the japanese tuner phase (turbo'd nissan altima). Was eagerly anticipating the GTR...absolutely unrivaled performance for the $$$$, but not sleek lookin at all. So I bought the Vette which has the performance, looks, and bang for the buck. Happy I made that decision too. I can honestly say that most "car guys" that I know appreciate all cars (altough every1 has biases that we joke round about). I go to import car shows and domestic. Watch drag racing and drifting. From what I've read in these posts I can tell that you guys are the same...REAL cars guys who respect all automotive genius.

Originally Posted by WhItEKnIgHt23
Wass. Oh BTW. How does the NPP mufflers with headers and Hi flow cats? Is it loud all the time or only at wide open throttle?
Turn up the volume with sub-woofers and you'll see they are loud at idle too.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:01 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
I have always just assumed that the GTR was based on the 370Z chassis,....is this not the case? Did they do a whole new chassis for this car?
All new chassis from what I was told. Very cool looking car BTW.

I bought a new 09 Nissan Frontier last week as my DD and they had a black GTR on the floor (been there for a while). Very menacing look to it. Way too much money however IMHO. They had a yellow 370 right next to it that I thought was a much better deal.....but then, I am partial to yellow

Last edited by turmat; 06-14-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:21 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

I agree with most everything that has been said. The GTR is a great car, but it is no Corvette. It seems to me like it is the flavor of the month in performance cars.
The Corvette has been an iconic performance car ever since Zora stuffed a V-8 in it for 1955, GTR's, Viper's and such are nice but just not a Corvette.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Naustica
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New 2010 GTR is selling for around $8k below sticker. CarMax had two new premium models for $76,800 each yesterday but it seems they sold the black one. They still have the silver one for the same price.

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/...e-38f5e2cbb44d

Is ZR1 still selling for over sticker?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Naustica
New 2010 GTR is selling for around $8k below sticker. CarMax had two new premium models for $76,800 each yesterday but it seems they sold the black one. They still have the silver one for the same price.

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/...e-38f5e2cbb44d

Is ZR1 still selling for over sticker?
Yes, check eBay. One sold just 2 days ago 15k over sticker and that was a 09 model.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I agree with most everything that has been said. The GTR is a great car, but it is no Corvette. It seems to me like it is the flavor of the month in performance cars.
The Corvette has been an iconic performance car ever since Zora stuffed a V-8 in it for 1955, GTR's, Viper's and such are nice but just not a Corvette.
Contrary to your minimal view of the world the Skyline/GT-R line has just as much history as the corvette. From 1957 (*1969) to 2010 the skyline has been Japan's world beater. What you also fail to realize is that this is the R35 GTR, the R32 &R34 were both world beaters as well that would have given a C5, or C4 a pretty good whoopin around the Nurbergring. The GTR is just as much a Japanese icon as the Corvette is an American one. Also, the GT-R is not just the flavor of the month, i believe the only reason that you are just now hearing about it is because the R32 and R34 never made it to US soil. That however does not take away from the fact that they were/are great cars.

Originally Posted by cclive
Totally different, in fact, the GT-R was being developed long before nissan decided to revamp the Z car. Nissan did however take some design cues from it's flaship monster and add them to the 370Z.

Originally Posted by HarleyB
Does using the GT-R's launch control still void the powertrain warranty? I don't believe the LC coming on the '10 MN6 GS does.
Nope!!! Does not void the warranty. That's what the transmission recall is all about. Nissan re-programs the RPM start point to something to the tune of 2500 rpm's instead of the 4500rpm's that it was originally set to.
Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
I love the GTR Altima comparison. Spot on with that one. The car is destined to be just another Asian sports car with absolutely no lasting legacy at all.
You have apparently never noticed how similar a Saturn SKY/Pontiac Solstice looks to a vette? It is common practice for car companies to take design cues from more expensive cars in the line-up. As far as the "no lasting legacy" comment... You apparently never do research on cars other than chevy's. The Skyline has been a legend/icon for quite some time now. When the corvette was "just another sports car" the Skyline was a world beater. As a matter of fact, pristine 1990's model skylines command a price tag similar to what the current one does new!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
Contrary to your minimal view of the world the Skyline/GT-R line has just as much history as the corvette. From 1957 (*1969) to 2010 the skyline has been Japan's world beater. What you also fail to realize is that this is the R35 GTR, the R32 &R34 were both world beaters as well that would have given a C5, or C4 a pretty good whoopin around the Nurbergring. The GTR is just as much a Japanese icon as the Corvette is an American one. Also, the GT-R is not just the flavor of the month, i believe the only reason that you are just now hearing about it is because the R32 and R34 never made it to US soil. That however does not take away from the fact that they were/are great cars.

Totally different, in fact, the GT-R was being developed long before nissan decided to revamp the Z car. Nissan did however take some design cues from it's flaship monster and add them to the 370Z.

Nope!!! Does not void the warranty. That's what the transmission recall is all about. Nissan re-programs the RPM start point to something to the tune of 2500 rpm's instead of the 4500rpm's that it was originally set to.

You have apparently never noticed how similar a Saturn SKY/Pontiac Solstice looks to a vette? It is common practice for car companies to take design cues from more expensive cars in the line-up. As far as the "no lasting legacy" comment... You apparently never do research on cars other than chevy's. The Skyline has been a legend/icon for quite some time now. When the corvette was "just another sports car" the Skyline was a world beater. As a matter of fact, pristine 1990's model skylines command a price tag similar to what the current one does new!!!

If you think the Saturn SKY or the Pontiac look similar to a Vette you best run and not walk to the nearest opthamologist.

Remember a styling cue is one thing. A blatant rip off of another cars styling and trying to pawn it off as a super car is a super joke. I'm not saying the GTR is not a great performance machine. But, I'm telling you it's dam* ugly. But, always remember it looks better in person then in pictures.:

The Skyline was produced by the Japanese automaker Prince Motor in 57 and then by Nissan in 1966. The car may be a classic in Japan. But, here in America I have yet to of heard of a Skyline car show. However, I have seen many Corvette shows one here in Chicago at a convention center with thousands paying $10-$15 a head. I have also attended many other shows. Let me know when that classic Japanese car show hits Vegas or Chicago so I can have a laugh.

Design cues....: Oh I have heard it all now.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-14-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerBullet
Granted, I haven't seen one of these on the freeways just yet, but with the mods and having a coefficient of drag of .286 (for a Coupe), the Vette is still in a higher class......Nissan's are no threat.
C6 is in a higher class in what? Cd? Look up the GT-R's Cd Ignorance is bliss.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nhpln
C6 is in a higher class in what? Cd? Look up the GT-R's Cd Ignorance is bliss.
Maybe, but looks are forever.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

I just realized one other battle that the Vette wins over the GTR.

The battle would be the percentage of owners that are so in love with their own cars that they can't admit the possibility of another car being as good or better than their car.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

I just realized one other battle that the Vette wins over the GTR.

The battle would be the percentage of owners that are so in love with their own cars that they can't admit the possibility of another car being as good or better than their car.
I try my best to resist the temptation to respond to threads like this typically, but I have to agree with what you're saying. This is my one pet peeve about the corvette forum.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tzzird
I try my best to resist the temptation to respond to threads like this typically, but I have to agree with what you're saying. This is my one pet peeve about the corvette forum.
Oh well. In some aspects it is very annoying. But in other ways, it is impressive that we own cars that are so mean that they make their owners delusional.

Although their are a lot of kids running around in riced out Civics that think their cars rule the road so maybe delusions are not a good thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM
lectricman
Instructor

Let me sum it up. A vette is a vette bar none , an american icon ........if my c6 auto isn't fast enough too beat em than my brothers w/the z06 will step in and mop the floor w them,,,,,,,,,,,,american pride and passion....
Old 06-14-2009, 08:43 PM
lectricman
Instructor

Then we have the *** spankin ZR 1 to shut all up.....
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh well. In some aspects it is very annoying. But in other ways, it is impressive that we own cars that are so mean that they make their owners delusional.

Although their are a lot of kids running around in riced out Civics that think their cars rule the road so maybe delusions are not a good thing.
I have to disagree with your comment about how the 'kids" running around in their "riced out" cars are delusional.

My son drives an '04 Subaru WRX that we have modified. I have become extremely impressed with a couple of their web site forums, and how much these "kids" have learned about their cars. These guys and girls have their passion for tweaking their cars down to a science.

They also impressed me with how open and ready they are to help anyone else who is in need of assistance, which fortunately, is similar to the Corvette Forum. But, most of them are also just into cars no matter what flavor. I have never had anyone on their forums say anything but positive things about my ZO6.

Quick Reply: Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.