C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting find about our O.E. run flat tires.......to say the least...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
Well, I replaced my OEM tires (non-super car) at 19K miles due to a rather large bolt in one of the rears. Figured get all 4 done at same time (1 of the fronts already had a patch for a screw). Anyway, while safe to drive, even in rain and cold weather, I noticed how easily they spun and that there definitely was a loss of traction compared to new tires. Biggest thing I noticed is how hard and noisy they had become. I have never had tires get this hard and noisy before.

It surprised me how bad they had gotten. And since I replaced them with the same GY runflats, I had the ability to do a good before and after comparison. Same tires but new, and felt like a totally different car. Before that, running on some of my crappy PA roads was actually becoming bothersome. Noisy, but mainly just too hard. Every little pot hole or imperfection was really becoming noticeable. With the new tires, much better.

So, yes, safe to drive with lots of miles on them. But I think you have to be more careful, especially in any cold weather, and you'll definitely feel the difference in ride comfort and noise as you put more and more miles on them.
It's nice when the subjective data that is provided is as solid as yours. An A-B test of the exact same tire old vs. new is a great data point! Thanks!

Last edited by inthehunt2; 07-10-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
At the price of replacements, I can live with a higher milage compound.
I expect mine to last 30k minimum based on our driving and the amount of rubber on the road for a 3200 pound vehicle.

Maybe you parked in Wolf urine or someone was marking her territory and caused the harness to increase, or the Zaino fumes affected the rubber.

LJ
and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your interior........
Old 07-09-2009, 07:24 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
LOL.. thanks for the great info on the tires.. Do you know what the weight difference is between the stock and same size non-RF's are?
I know the RF's on the C5's were heavier than the newer gen RF's.. Just wondering what the weight advantage is.. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

What was the line Johnny Carson once used as "Carnack the Great"?...."May a diseased Yak permanently stain your sleep sofa"

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Big difference between new and old GY RF

...Biggest thing I noticed is how hard and noisy they had become....
It surprised me how bad they had gotten. And since I replaced them with the same GY runflats, I had the ability to do a good before and after comparison. Same tires but new, and felt like a totally different car. ...With the new tires, much better.

So, yes, safe to drive with lots of miles on them. But I think you have to be more careful, especially in any cold weather, and you'll definitely feel the difference in ride comfort and noise as you put more and more miles on them.
I also noticed the difference when I put new GY runflats on, became much quieter and smoother riding. I began enjoying the car again but that didn't last to long! Noisey again!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
LOL.. thanks for the great info on the tires.. Do you know what the weight difference is between the stock and same size non-RF's are?
I know the RF's on the C5's were heavier than the newer gen RF's.. Just wondering what the weight advantage is.. Thanks!
no. I have not had the opportunity to get that data yet, but it is a good thing to know, unsprung weight plays a key role......er.......roll......
Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

no. I have not had the opportunity to get that data yet, but it is a good thing to know, unsprung weight plays a key role......er.......roll......
As well as rotating mass/inertia/momentum.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 PM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
Sorry, I’ll get off my high horse. You were trying to provide useful information and I understand and appreciate that.

I still feel that comments like: “at 15k..these tires will most likely be around 75-78... and for performance driving, thats like driving on owl ****” are unnecessary and unfounded based on the data you provided.

I have been lucky and traveled all over the world during my career and lived in several countries. Our county means a lot to me and many of us may not recognize that we are loosing our industry and the companies that provide jobs. As a consequence, the middle class is being destroyed at an increasing rate and our children and their children will not have the same opportunities most of us enjoyed.

Goodyear is one of the companies under stress. Goodyear Runflats are constructed to GM’s specifications and allow safe driving after a flat for a reasonable distance. Foreign owned competitors build their runflats with less safety margin and consequently they may be slightly quieter and have more sidewall flex. However, Goodyear runflats are better tires and better handling tires than thought by many. It bothered me to see several of the comments made in your first post that were biased against Goodyear tires without also considering the tradeoffs with other tires.

It has been said that people get the future they deserve. At least it was a good run while it lasted. Peace.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Wolfdogs, thanks for the info. I like running runflats for the security but also like the performance they don't provide. If you get opportunity could you do a check on Firestones and Michelins for a comparison.

Thanks
To be fair - I think a comparison should be forthcoming. I personally like my F1 supercars and consider GoodYear Tires to be some of the best made out there.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 PM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all get used to what we have and use UNTIL we try something different. At that time then we have a comparison. I have no complaints with my stock RF GYs. I only have 5000 mls on a 3 year old car. This is not to say I wouldn't like a different tire but I wouldn't change just for the sake of changing. With all the threads about tires we seem to be bashing GM and GY about the tires on our cars when most likely the stock runflats GY's are probably just fine for 95% of us. Sure, there are other tires, quieter, stickier, cheaper, more expensive, uglier, prettier and what ever else you want to add, but, more than likely what comes on the car is just fine. imo
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Well, I replaced my OEM tires (non-super car) at 19K miles due to a rather large bolt in one of the rears. Figured get all 4 done at same time (1 of the fronts already had a patch for a screw). Anyway, while safe to drive, even in rain and cold weather, I noticed how easily they spun and that there definitely was a loss of traction compared to new tires. Biggest thing I noticed is how hard and noisy they had become. I have never had tires get this hard and noisy before.
That is the most annoying thing I've noticed on my GY tires at 12k miles. Now they break loose on dry pavement in 2nd gear when I stomp on it! Couldn't do that at all when they were new.... So I might be able to get 30k out of them but not with good traction. Not knocking the tire just saying there is a big time traction loss as the miles rack up. OP's should be not get caught unaware how much the traction will change with miles and age.....
Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

The more you stomp on it or put your foot into it, any kind of tire is going to have a short lived life.
Driving behavior and habits will vary among users.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely.. a couple pounds of unsprung weight at the corners makes a nice difference in handling.. The new gen Rf's are not much heavier I believe.. but that might depend on the brand.. ??
I plan on going with non-RF's when the time comes..
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Just wondering, if the Goodyear RF's were designed with GM, then how does Firestone come up with a replacement that doesn't have the same characteristics like the noise and hardness of the GY's?

I still have some tread left on my GY's @ about 17.5k and am considering going with the Firestones when the time comes for replacements.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN
Just wondering, if the Goodyear RF's were designed with GM, then how does Firestone come up with a replacement that doesn't have the same characteristics like the noise and hardness of the GY's?

I still have some tread left on my GY's @ about 17.5k and am considering going with the Firestones when the time comes for replacements.

TooDamnManyPeopleville Ca.
We need to depopulate this state if not the world. = Less crime, less competition, less traffic, more employment and more peace.
At 30,000 + miles here and still like new.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 AM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw...1-cooper.shtml
Old 07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
General Lee
Pro

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN

I just switched over to Firestone RFT's on my C5 with C6 sizes;
245/40/18 F
285/35/19 R
as i write this havn't got a mile on them just finished installing today, my stock Goodtears have 31,080 miles on them and very noisy at this point. With 5/32 tread left.
i also installed new rims (C6 Zo6 repros 18 &19) and weighed the mounted tires/rims on a dig bathroom scale
F 54.6lbs
R 63.4lbs.
the C5 thinspokes i took off weighed
F 46.2
R 54.5
I'll post a review as soon as i get somwe miles on them

Quick Reply: Interesting find about our O.E. run flat tires.......to say the least...