C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 emergency entry access system

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by furniss5
Thanks for the explanation. The 1st owner died. This car was on his bucket list. He died 3 months after getting the car.

His wife knew nothing about the car.

Thanks for the courtesy of explaining the fob with photos.
Some of the posts made me think the fob was called a key.

Had no idea it pulled apart.

I understand how it works now.

Many Thanks
Charlie in Arizona

you can download a .pdf of the owners manual for your car at "gmpartshouse.com" or from the FAQ section at the beginning of the forum. you need to take some time to read it as your new car has several little "querks" that will surprise you. enjoy the ride
Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
After more than 50 cars and more than 3,000,000 miles driving over the past 52 years I'll take the FOB. Screw keys, other than for "emergency" access to the C6, which I have never needed but know it works. 38K miles in the C6 and climbing..... I don't miss the ignition key or door key at all. How could I? Walk up to the car, get in. Push a button, start - drive away. Arrive at destination, get out - walk away. Doors lock. How cool is that?
The point being it's ok when it works, but when it doesn't it creates more problems. "Cool" does not translate into practical. I've been driving as long as you and never once thought it a trouble or difficult to use the key - people today are getting way to lazy even to do even simple tasks.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
The whole keyless thing with the newer C-6's is total crap and something that was never needed. More and more I'm preferring my '00 C-5 over my '09 C-6. Take key, insert in ign switch and turn - there is nothing to improve on ! Mess-up yes, but the Fob keyless system is a step backwards.
All C6's are "keyless" start... However, the FOB's changed beginning with the 2008 model year. According to a recent poll taken on another Corvette forum you are in the minority about not liking the keyless ignition. I think there was one guy that responded that he did not like it and everyone else loved it.

It's certainly not a step backward in my opinion. I love not having to insert a key. You just walk up to your car open the door, sit down, push the button and go. You don't even need to reach in your pocket to push a button to open your door. What's not to love? The system is not without problems as some have experienced with a dead battery, but if you know how your car works it's simple to gain entry.

My C5 left me stranded in a parking lot with the dreaded column lock and had to be flat bedded to the dealer. So no system is without potential problems, but I love the keyless ignition.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

After more than 50 cars and more than 3,000,000 miles driving over the past 52 years I'll take the FOB. Screw keys, other than for "emergency" access to the C6, which I have never needed but know it works. 38K miles in the C6 and climbing..... I don't miss the ignition key or door key at all. How could I? Walk up to the car, get in. Push a button, start - drive away. Arrive at destination, get out - walk away. Doors lock. How cool is that?
I completely agree. Many years ago, I had two different cars where the (keyed) ignition switch failed. Locked up an couldn't turn the key. I really like the FOB. Only problem is that now I always forget to get the key out of my pocket when I get into my other vehicles.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Bill Cook
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked Out

I got locked out with a dead battery and the rear lock was inop. I jacked up the Vette and ran a jumper to to starter - worked like a champ. Still trying to repair the Rear lock. In the mean time - I ran a 10 Guage wire from the battery positive along a path I found near bottom of the radiator. It is not easy to get to or even find it - but I know that it exist and can be accessed without jacking up the car. 10 Guage will not jump the car but it is plenty to activate the door locks.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by GCD1962
The whole keyless thing with the newer C-6's is total crap and something that was never needed. More and more I'm preferring my '00 C-5 over my '09 C-6. Take key, insert in ign switch and turn - there is nothing to improve on ! Mess-up yes, but the Fob keyless system is a step backwards.
We've put 140k miles on two C6's and had no problems with the keyless system beyond replacing fob batteries. But our C5 had an ignition switch problem that the dealer could never diagnose, had to eventually figure out myself.

EDIT-
Ooops. replied to a zombie thread. Shouldn't do that.
Sorry.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 02-21-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:13 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

key hole right above your license plate, very difficult to see, got to get in there...

In case of dead battery, use actual key to open trunk hatch manualy, pull cable in trunk to open driver door manually.

Then pull hood lever to jump.

The only time you will ever use the corvette key is if your battery dies, your key fob dies, or key fob electrical system fails. Soo... pretty much never... But it's not rare enough to say don't have the key on you.

I made a spare key, shaved it down, to the size of a house key and threw it on my keychain, no transponder in it which means the alarm will go off every time I use it, but If im using it, that means the battery is dead... so this option works.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Periodically check your trunk key. Location of trunk key latch picks up a lot of dust and might seize due to the dirt. Explain to friends that ride with you how to get out of the car if the door switch fails and location of pull handles.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Be sure to read the owners manual pertaining to how to get out of the car if the battery goes dead. Not knowing to has lead to needless deaths.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

OP, your idea is not bad.
"Go for it"

IMO there are so many situations where one doesn't have a physical key or spare fob or lock smith etc. and a dead battery. OP's idea will easily open the car and perhaps lessen the stress of the day.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:23 AM
Steve Lorne
2nd Gear

For the half of you members that try to help... I have a 2006 Roadster with a new stereo/Nav etc. that ran my very new top of the line battery dead. My trunk key turns but seems to be slipping and will not open my trunk to open my door and then my hood to charge my battery and ultimately repair the stereo wiring. Can anyone help me? How can I get in without doing damage? Thank you!!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,477 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I swear I am the only guy in the world that reads his owner's manual. One of the first things I do, on my first washroom break after I get a car is read the manual. I ponder, why someone would go through the time to post here first, before checking the owners manual. That is me, I am just wacky that way! lol
Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 AM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
I swear I am the only guy in the world that reads his owner's manual. One of the first things I do, on my first washroom break after I get a car is read the manual. I ponder, why someone would go through the time to post here first, before checking the owners manual. That is me, I am just wacky that way! lol
Bought my 2012 at a dealer. 3000 miles and no manual came with it. They ended up giving me one, it was for the radio. Anyway, I downloaded one. Plus the guy says his key turns but doesn't open the trunk.
So, he may not have one, plus he just asked a question.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:53 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

OK; I'll give you that. Remember the older guy who died in his Vette after being trapped for 3 hrs in the heat? My first thought was "did he ever crack the owner's manual?"
Old 01-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Steve Lorne
2nd Gear

Default Mr. Whacky

Mr. Whacky,
You have been so helpful. You might have seen my intro that I asked for the half of members that might want to help. This forum should be about the passion for Corvettes. Shame on you. The manual is locked in the car. I have read it. It does not address this scenario. I have two spare keys. The shop that installed the radio messed up my trunk system when they installed the backup camera. If you have nothing positive to add kindly fight the urge to be a smug jerk.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:16 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

lol....OK. I said above, I will give a pass being the dealer didn't give you a manual, but beyond that, I was pointing out to others, that we should be reading manuals BEFORE needs arise and my manual on my 2006 does indeed address the scenario you had. I typically go a step further, in that when I read something like emergency entry, I go try it, all aspects, so when you do need it, you know how to do it. The same applied for earlier Vettes I had where the hood release cable can break. You try the emergency procedures before the hood cable breaks. I was not trying to put anyone down, just pointing out that many times you are in a spot where there is no forum to reference, only a manual! Make sure to also find the manual release levers for each door before your battery dies while you are in the car! I had this happen on an outing once; got in the car fine, battery died upon starting attempt; doors would not unlock. Luckily I read my manual and still had it in the glovebox!

Signed,
Mr. Whacky
Old 01-19-2018, 12:23 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Very until one day you can't get in.....this happened to some of our club members more times than I can count. Sometimes the FOBs just kind of don't work. With the key, you can open the hatch, pull the little yellow handles that manually release the door, then place the FOB into the holder in the glovebox and re-establish the connection. If you don't have the key, you are f'ed. One of our members has his wife carry the extra FOB, then keeps a 3rd one wrapped in foil in the car, just in case. Why? Because he indeed was caught once where both FOBs wouldn't work for some odd reason and the 3rd would establish itself. You keep the 3rd wrapped in foil because the "shake and wake" may cause confusion with the car itself. If you don't have the key with you and are far from home......call a flatbed to your nearest Chevy dealer!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 emergency entry access system

Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Lorne
For the half of you members that try to help... I have a 2006 Roadster with a new stereo/Nav etc. that ran my very new top of the line battery dead. My trunk key turns but seems to be slipping and will not open my trunk to open my door and then my hood to charge my battery and ultimately repair the stereo wiring. Can anyone help me? How can I get in without doing damage? Thank you!!
Steve, keep trying the key in the trunk. I'll bet you can get it to open.Turn it back and forth several times. You will be surprised how hard you have to turn it to get the hatch to pop. That key hole get a lot of road grime thrown in there and makes it kind of sticky. After I finally got mine open, I shot some graphite spray in the key hole to clean it out. Then I put a little strip of tape over the key hole to keep it clean in the future. Even after all that, it is still surprising how hard it is to turn that key enough to pop the hatch. Give it another shot.
And ignore the internet tough guys.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Periodically check your trunk key. Location of trunk key latch picks up a lot of dust and might seize due to the dirt. Explain to friends that ride with you how to get out of the car if the door switch fails and location of pull handles.
Right on Cooter! This was all I was trying to point out as well, not put anyone down or the like. Read the manual before the crisis, try your key, and procedure to get in your car BEFORE you ever need to do it. I too love the keyless start, but there is a sound reason Chevy gave you a key with alternative entry and exit methods, because batteries die, systems fail. I will note to those who say their key "doesn't work" try again. The lock is uncomfortably tight and feels like you are on the fringe of breaking the key; remember you are unlatching a very heavy hatch. I have found that pushing down on the hatch helps some. If it is indeed not working, then what should you do? (hint: fix it) Just this last summer I was faced with being locked in my 2006. I was able to get in, but went to start the car; dead; went to get out to investigate, I couldn't. I knew about the door release because I found it prior and tested it. I got out and then was able to get under my hood and simply found the neg cable on the battery was slightly loosened. Tighten it and on my way; the whole issue resolved in under 5 min. Now, if you were outside and could not get in..........flatbed it! $300-400 to tighten a battery cable.

Maybe driving a C3 for many years made me be a bit more prepared.......in those days, many of our club members had problems on trips with older vintages and you learned to be prepared!

Again, call me Whacky!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Very until one day you can't get in.....this happened to some of our club members more times than I can count. Sometimes the FOBs just kind of don't work. With the key, you can open the hatch, pull the little yellow handles that manually release the door, then place the FOB into the holder in the glovebox and re-establish the connection. If you don't have the key, you are f'ed. One of our members has his wife carry the extra FOB, then keeps a 3rd one wrapped in foil in the car, just in case. Why? Because he indeed was caught once where both FOBs wouldn't work for some odd reason and the 3rd would establish itself. You keep the 3rd wrapped in foil because the "shake and wake" may cause confusion with the car itself. If you don't have the key with you and are far from home......call a flatbed to your nearest Chevy dealer!
Please elaborate. My OM doesn't explain this.

Quick Reply: C6 emergency entry access system