C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoodYear EMT Dry Cracking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:35 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT

Typically, you see UV and Ozone damage like this on cars that sit for long periods of time (rubber protectants are replaced (bloom) as the tire flexes when driven) and it can happen with any brand. Drive you car more often and it will not be a problem.
I didn't know about the rubber protectants in combination with flexing, but it makes sense. It would apply to this car. Before I bought it earlier this year it had been sitting on various GM lots for over a year without putting any miles on. That would explain why all 4 tires on this particular car suffer from the same issue.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by inthehunt2

Serge - I assume that you store your Vette for the winter since you live in Minnesota? If so, how do you store it? In a garage? With any kind of cover? Windows nearby? The reason I ask is I wonder how much daylight your tires see when in storage.

I'm not doubting the tire issue at all, just asking to see what external factors may heve aggrivated a bad manufacturing-lot of tires.
Yep, Minnesota Vettes need to be stored for sure. Since I just bought it, I haven't had to store it yet but I've found a climate controlled storage facility in Minneapolis. The car will be covered and it's relatively dark in there. Still, from what I understand the fact that the tires are not being driven causes them to deteriorate. Better than driving a Vette in the snow on salted roads, though.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:43 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

unsafe looking tires hope you get them replaced soon.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
jimmy p
Instructor

When I was putting a new exhaust on the other day I noticed the same thing!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I had a 1990 with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires that cracked like that. They were fifteen years old when this happened.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by No-Swet
A lot of gripes have been posted on this forum about the OEM GY runflats. I have one more to add, see the pictures below.
You're looking at some seriously cracked GY Eagle F1 GS-2 EMT's with 7700 miles on it. Production date is January 2007 - they came with the car when it was made. Most of the tread is still there, so it's not a wear issue.
Interestingly enough all 4 tires have exactly the same issue. If it's a material defect, you'd think more people would have reported this problem, but I haven't found any posts on the forum with similar issues. If it's the car (or what it's been through), then I'm at a loss what would have caused it.
The Chevy dealership was very courteous so far and is trying to get a warranty replacement arranged. Needless to say, I don't need a replacement set of GY runflats (not just because they crack).
The dealership advised me not verify the 190 mph top speed this weekend. Guess I'll save that for some other time....

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Holly Crap .....

DH
Old 08-07-2009, 06:31 PM
drragjr
2nd Gear

I'm following your thread as I developed a slow leak in the front driver side GY EMT. I noted the cracking as severe as yours. The tires are original on a 2005 with 17k miles bought used with 11k on the odometer. I don't think my local dealership is on the hook for this but I've never seen this on any tire I've owned. This seems to be a product failure.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:56 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drragjr
I'm following your thread as I developed a slow leak in the front driver side GY EMT. I noted the cracking as severe as yours. The tires are original on a 2005 with 17k miles bought used with 11k on the odometer. I don't think my local dealership is on the hook for this but I've never seen this on any tire I've owned. This seems to be a product failure.
FYI, my GM Dealer fortunately resolved this issue. See my new post on that:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...new-tires.html

Interesting that you bring up the slow leak. On top of the visual cracks, my left rear tire did also develop a slow leak. Lost about 4 PSI per week. You might have the same problem. Hope you get it resolved.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From your photo it looks like your tire is waring evenly. I can not tell if it is a front or rear tire that you displayed. For 7700 miles over 32 months there doesn't seem to be much tread left. Have these tires been overheated??
Old 08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Their really is no such thing as "dry rot" in rubber. What you are seeing is likely ozone attack of the rubber. Ozone build-up is more of a problem in areas with a lot of snow cover such as where you live. Ozone can also be generated by sparking electrical motors; I have seen electric motors in air make-up (over-pressurization units) act as ozone generators, so avoid electrical motors in areas where you store your car. Light hydrocarbon fumes such as from distillates used in paints also accelerate the problem, so avoid storing your car in a paint shop. Driving the car, especially at higher speed for prolonged periods will help accelerate tire bloom, which unfortunately gives the tires a grayish tint, but helps carry the anti-ozonants and anti-oxidants compounded into the rubber to the surface of the tires and helps protect them. Higher ambient temperatures also help, but you would have to move south to experience this advantage. I strongly suspect "whitewall" cleaning products many of us use on our tires remove these protective chemicals from the surface of the tires. The ozone cracking of the rubber in the roots of your tire tread, which is accelerated where the highest stresses exist in the tire when turning and cornering, will definately lead to loss of air pressure from the interior of the tires.

Quick Reply: GoodYear EMT Dry Cracking Issue