C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Corvette Show Burnout Videos

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 AM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I wish I could have been there but couldn't make it that day. Second, no I wouldn't have done that with my car but if someone wants to with theirs, why does anyone else give a crap? Considering a large number of members of this forum thinks it risky to drive thier cars in the rain, its no wonder they get faint seeing those videos. Lighten up - and if the vette is half the car most of you think it is, it can handle a few burnouts.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Do you think that was a water or hydrogen peroxide puddle under the rear tires ?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Good show, thanks for sharing the videos.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

No one was forced to do it and it seemed to be legal so no harm done. I just hope the competitors tell their dealer what they did if they need to go into the dealer for a drivetrain repair in the near future.

The last video had me worried about the crowd. One mistake there would have been fatal for someone.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 PM
FastEddie09C6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty cool videos and a thanks to the OP for posting them.....personally i wouldn't do that with my car only because i am not that experienced at holding a burnout and dont want to break my vette but hell if i learned i would love it! as for the rest of you complainers.....live a little its fun
Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
i didnt do it either but is sure as heck was fun to watch. And lets not forget is was for a good cause. People have to remember, we are Americans, this is the premier American sports car for the last 50+ years. We are the same people who ended WWII and put a man on the moon. Lets not be scared to burn a little rubber once in a while. If they are scared stay home and go buy a Prius.

Could not of said it any better
Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

A fitting end to some worn out tires, perhaps.

Looks like fun to watch but I'd rather see it on a drag strip, not in such an uncontrolled public area.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:20 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
i didnt do it either but is sure as heck was fun to watch. And lets not forget is was for a good cause. People have to remember, we are Americans, this is the premier American sports car for the last 50+ years. We are the same people who ended WWII and put a man on the moon. Lets not be scared to burn a little rubber once in a while. If they are scared stay home and go buy a Prius.

"A good cause"? And just what was that good cause?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
I used to think the same way...when I was 16 years old. I think I went through enough tires and broke enough parts by the time I was 17 to realize it wasn't such a wise thing to do though.
Ive driven my car very very hard. I use it as it was built for. Racing. On the drag strip on the road courses and Ive done more burnouts than I can count when racing.
I have never broken my car. PERIOD. I drive harder than most of you could probably imagine or ever dream too. If your scared you dont have to do but take it from me these cars can handle it with out even as much as a little shudder.

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
...and to think one of those vettes will likely end up on a used car lot after trade-in.
Unlike the rest of the masses here I dont just trade my cars in for the newest and best thing out. I have a lot of memories and money in my car and its going no where so maybe speak about facts you have actual knowledge on instead of just talking out of your @ss.

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Do you think that was a water or hydrogen peroxide puddle under the rear tires ?
It was water the fire truck in the background put it there.

Originally Posted by mpuzach
"A good cause"? And just what was that good cause?
The good cause was TOYS FOR TOTS. Everything our group does benefits them. The show registration, sledge a stang, raffles everything single penny raised yesterday went to the kids.

Easy to do when your a NON club and have no overhead.

But if you wanna sit on your high horse and call people stupid for having a good time while raising money for underprivliged children go for. Not everyone can drive a vette and look down there nose at everbody.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

I think its a great cause and I'm glad to see you have a relatively safe place to do that.

I will always remember this Wil Cooksey video as being very cool...and as safe as you can get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v0P2LHSBvo

Last edited by VettedCandidate; 08-16-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VettedCandidate
I think its a great cause and I'm glad to see you have a relatively safe place to do that.

I will always remember this Wil Cooksey video as being very cool...and as safe as you can get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v0P2LHSBvo
...especially the end of the video where he blows the tire and it trashes the rear quarter, fender liner and probably the rear fascia and I'd be surprised if the wheel wasn't part of the carnage....yep, yet another great example of beating the crap out of a great car.

But I guess that is what they were built for?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Itallian33
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leprkon
guys, here's the bottom line.

1. it was legal
2. those who participated could afford to do so

post whatever you want, but all of your preaching and judging are not very damn likely to keep it from happening again next year.
I agree with Leo. Hopefully all you guys bashing on it keeping this thread going just drum up more interest in the show next year. The more people come and have fun the more money and toys go to the kids.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

This show was Great! 150+ Corvettes at a new and state of the art Chevrolet Dealer facility. The burnout contest was the hit of the day. especially the "Burn Off" to determine the winner. The video is cool but there was nothing like being there! Congratulations to all the award winners.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Thejoker502
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had a tire sponsor I would let them rip like that. I love a good burnout!
Old 08-16-2009, 04:30 PM
jaygood
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a great show and the burnout contest was awesome to see.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:37 PM
dave2007
Burning Brakes

I was there

I was not scared

It was cool to watch

We raised a lot of money for Toys For Tots

As with many things Fun, there are risks, I do like fun

There were many vantage points to view the burnouts, some close some far and there was a huge crowd at all vantage points. The individuals at the show made a choice as to where to watch and there was mention to the crowd before the contest to stay back and some of us crept up close as the event progressed. It was our choice

For anyone concerned for my safety, Thank You I appreciate it, but I made the choice to watch and I loved it.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui
Fun to watch but I wouldn't do that to my car.
I agree!

Hope Heitz Chevy had a BIG Liability policy, I didn't see any "Jersey Barriers" protecting anything.

Get notified of new replies

To OK Corvette Show Burnout Videos

Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Thanks for posting...... no one got hurt and no rules were broken. Yes some tires got a bit worn ...... but we all enjoy different ways to have a good time with our cars They were made to be driven and they are very durable too!.......(ask me how I know )

Last edited by Tommy D; 08-16-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM
divitasbluepitbulls
Pro

I want to see more but, just not in my car!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sixsixvette
Whats wrong with a burn out comp.?? It is a big crowd pleaser and a thrill for many.

The entire crowd loved this little show we put on.

Originally Posted by Leprkon
then you probably should have bought a Hyundai.

Quick Reply: OK Corvette Show Burnout Videos