C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spot Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
acejack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blind Spot Mirror

Has anyone ever thought about putting small blind spot mirrors on their side mirrors? I never would, just make sure I double check,when changing lanes. It seems like there is a big blind spot on my vert.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

I put this one on when I picked up my car. It's an angled one. Works great.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

You are going to get beat up on this. Sorry but blind spot mirrors, trailer hitches, bike racks, man are you going to get beat up on this. Run--eddie
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

This subject has been discussed before.
What good forum members mentioned is a way to adjust your rear-view mirrors so they do not over-lap. Please do a search.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I bought some to put on my first C6, but never put them on, just didn't like the look.

If you'll adjust your outside mirrors so you have to lean a little to barely see the edge of the car, you won't need the extra mirrors.

Use the inside mirror to see what's behind you. Use the correctly positioned outside mirrors so there's no blind spot.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

https://secure57.softcomca.com/multi...echnology.html
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
LeMansBlueVert
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them on everything I own and have my mirrors adjusted properly. No one can sneak up on me...LOL
Old 09-14-2009, 06:27 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my mirror on Sunday and I'm glad I did.
Picked one up at advanced auto (or was it autozone?) for a few bucks.

I've done the whole "angle your mirror" and there are still times when people are next to me and I don't know
especially if they drive fast enough and you can't catch them in either mirror (rear or side) in time before you change lanes.

Last edited by ls2kev; 09-14-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know its crazy, but I shoulder check before making a lane change...you know...the thing we were tought when learning how to drive. My opinion is save your money and your cars good looks and re-learn how to shoulder check. I drive a FJ Cruiser in the snow. My vette has no blind spots compaired to it.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Turn Your Head

If everyone turned there head to look in the blindspot you wouldn't need those silly lookin things. In fact, its such a habit if I had one I'd probably still be turning my head.

Thinking of doing a lane change, the head turns first then I make my move... enough said... done.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I must have great peripheral vision. I adjust my mirrors correctly and have no blind spot. I do it on all my cars and have recently got my wife to do it also. She is amazed and wonders why she didn't do it years ago. It was covered on this forum and I'm sure a search can find it. I first read about it in the paper years ago in a column that Click and Clack still run. Don't laugh it works.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 08 vet
I know its crazy, but I shoulder check before making a lane change...you know...the thing we were tought when learning how to drive. My opinion is save your money and your cars good looks and re-learn how to shoulder check. I drive a FJ Cruiser in the snow. My vette has no blind spots compaired to it.

I was wondering when someone was going to say "Just do a proper shoulder-check"...I do it every time as well.

Red Cell.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I do not like the look at all, especially on a Vette. I think if you adjust the mirrors correctly the blind spot is minimized and a quick head turn when changing lanes is not a bad idea.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I used to use the small angled mirror on my driver's side mirror and during the day they worked pretty well. But at night and especially at night in the rain they were useless. Then I took a high performance driving school at Pocono Raceway and one of first things they taught was how to adjust your mirrors. They said that over 90% of people have their mirrors adjusted incorrectly.

Point One: The inside mirror is to see behind you.

Point Two: The side mirrors are to see beside you.

Most people have the inside and the outside mirrors pointing to see behind them and defeat the purpose of the side mirrors.
The outside mirrors should be adjusted all the way out so they show what's beside you.

To properly use your mirrors to change lanes you should first check the inside mirror to get an overall picture of what's going on behind you and see if anyone is approaching from the lane you want to more into. Then you check your outside mirror to see if anyone is beside you. If both mirrors have shown no one, it's safe to move to that lane.

You never have to more you head more than enough to see your outside mirror and you can move your head and attention back to what's going on in front of you immediately. The less time you spend looking to the side the better because it's what is in front of you that's most important.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default See my post

I posted a concern a week ago under "visibility". If I knew how to repost it I would.
Basically I had my mirrows adjusted very carefully to not see the sides of the car and thought nothing could be in the blind spot. I HAD TESTED THIS POSITION SEVERAL TIMES IN TRAFFIC TO BE SURE.

But I had a motorcycle get in my blind spot, and if I had not heard the bike I would have changed lanes on him.
I checked several times and finally picked the bike up as he moved foreward a foot or so.
I went the next day and bought spot mirrows for all 3 of my vehicles.

I don't think they are detrimental to the appearance at all.
LJ
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM
knick
Pro

Originally Posted by 08 vet
my dd is a fj
Old 09-14-2009, 09:48 PM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never had any blind spots I could not 'fix' in my vette by moving 6 inches to look.

Get notified of new replies

To Blind Spot Mirror

Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
I bought some to put on my first C6, but never put them on, just didn't like the look.

If you'll adjust your outside mirrors so you have to lean a little to barely see the edge of the car, you won't need the extra mirrors.

Use the inside mirror to see what's behind you. Use the correctly positioned outside mirrors so there's no blind spot.

The blind spot went away with the installation of a side view mirror on the passenger side.

Adjust the side view mirrors until you just see a tiny fraction of the side of your car. Angle the mirror slightly down as well, you don't need your sideview mirrors for distance (your rear view mirror is for distance).

The blind spot exists no longer

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 PM
acejack
Racer

I guess I should have told you, that I have two big trucks that I drive and they both have spot mirrors. I guess Im just used to having them. When driving the wifes Lexus SUV, still find myself looking for the spot mirror. (habit) Yes I do have my mirrors adjusted the right way. Next time I'll do a search before posting. Sorry.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
acejack
Racer

Amazing thing, when the top is down the blind spot seems to go away.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Mirror