C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frequently Asked Questions about the GM Personal Audio Link (PAL)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Website Update

Updated the website today:

http://www.kawal.net/PALFAQs.htm

to add comments about the PAL installation working with a Sirius module instead of XM. See Question 19.

Ray
Old 12-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Santa brought me a 16 gb iPod Nano, one of the newer versions. I've got the PAL installed with Ray's harness but I'm not sure if it's safe to plug in the Nano. Presumably this iPod uses the 5v charging system and so putting 12v into it could be a problem. But the instruction manual for my PAL suggests that the only problem is that my iPod won't charge while in the car, otherwise it should be ok.

Of course I'll buy the charging adapter, but it's going to be a while before that shows up.

What do you know?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 PM
highside51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its OK. It just wont charge. On the nano screen it will say something like charging not supported. But it will show the C6 emblem and say corvette on the nano screen. Looks cool I have the same thing and got the adaptor and now it charges.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks.
Now I just need to get the Nav screen working again, it quit today.
Our 2006 did that for a day, once, and never again. Temp in my garage is about 30'F, chilly for us but shouldn't be an issue for the Nav.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Mr V 33
Instructor

Received my PAL Now what? I have an 05 C6 with NAV but no XM can I get this to work???
Old 12-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Thanks.
Now I just need to get the Nav screen working again, it quit today.
Our 2006 did that for a day, once, and never again. Temp in my garage is about 30'F, chilly for us but shouldn't be an issue for the Nav.

Nav screen is working today, and the ipod installation is great. I'm still trying to figure out what all the soft keys do, need to spend more time with the manual. But everything I tried, worked as advertised.

This will be a great improvement over XM; with its pompous DJ's, not-my-favorite song selections, and poor audio quality.

Speaking of audio quality, there seems to be some variation from one CD album to another when ripped. The worst ones are about like XM, the best ones seem equal to CDs. I'm using "high quality", 3xx bit. That may be better than my ears and sound system can understand, but it looks like my 16 gb Nano could hold nearly 2,000 songs and that's plenty for me.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
willcasp
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally got my PAL installed (THANKS RAY!). Works well. Here is the adapter that I am using to convert the PAL power to the USB based power of the newer ipods. It works well as an end of cable adapter, and only adds about an inch to the cable length.
http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1667
Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by willcasp
Finally got my PAL installed (THANKS RAY!). Works well. Here is the adapter that I am using to convert the PAL power to the USB based power of the newer ipods. It works well as an end of cable adapter, and only adds about an inch to the cable length.
http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1667
That sounds nice. My PAL is located behind the sidewall carpet near the left trunk cubbyhole, with the cable snaked under the cubby door frame. I've already got some extra cable in there, another 4 feet on an adapting cable like the iS710 from discountcarstereo.com would be inconvenient.

Any thoughts on quality and durability? iSimple makes the iS712 and Vais Tech makes a similar unit that looks like it locks in place, but discountcarstereo is out of both right now.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:30 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

A number of companies make the short version of the charging adapter and the Scosche adapter is fine. For most PAL owners, the PAL Ipod cable is too short, and the iS710 is the only one to provide an extension.

Since Jim has installed his Ipod in the rear storage compartment, his Ipod cable is plenty long. So these short adapters may work out better.

One complaint I've heard of the short adapters is that they make the Ipod connection rather bulky, since it is a rigid connection directly between the 30 pin Ipod connector and the Ipod (or Iphone) itself. But electrically, it will work fine.

Ray
Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM
captgeorge1
Advanced

Default Can the dealer do the installation ,turn key.

If I tried to do something like that, the car would go forward in reverse and backwards in drive. And thats if I could ever get it started. Can the dealer do this install.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

The official GM installation procedure involves taking much of the dash apart, cutting a wire, etc. I'd say it's a disaster waiting to happen, especially if the tech is unskilled or in a hurry. Probably rather expensive, too.

Using Ray's harness is much easier and there are fewer things to go wrong. If you don't like the PAL system, you can put the car back to stock condition in about 5 minutes.

Any good tech or stereo installer should be able to do a good job with Ray's system.

One of Ray's links has both the GM installation and his custom harness installation explained, you can read them both and make your own decision.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Since the GM Harness is an "Ethernet" plug into PAL couldn't you technically design a cable (on that end) that correctly crosses the voltage to the right charge pins, or is the voltage difference going to damage the iPod (I personally don't think it will, since I think this is a charge pin issue not a voltage one). Which is why only a new cable is needed for the PXAMG.

The reason I ask is I have the IS710 in my Jeep and it makes a horrid connection with the stock connector out of the Jeep (it drops the right speaker sometimes). The Corvette in the summer used the compact version of the IS710 (I think IS715) but that got fried on my trip to Florida when I hooked my iPhone up to the PXAMG I now have in my Dad's Saturn VUE. So I'd like to avoid these bulky connectors on the iPod end.

Heck you might be able to take the existing iPod/PAL cable, cut off the end and reattach an Ethernet end with the correct pins wired...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
routesixtysix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my PAL with Ray's cable on my '06 vert. Really an easy install, and it's working fine. I installed it horizintally in the area just infront of the partition into the trunk under the carpet. I found it easier in routing the wires rather than attaching it to the XM unit. In looking at the PAL/iPod cable it has 10 connectors, while an ethernet connector has 8 so I don't think they would be compatible. I plan to run the PAL/iPod cable into my center console after drilling a hole in the back as shown in Ray's documentation from another forum member. I'm wondering about a possible heat problem. It can get quite hot in there.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Since the GM Harness is an "Ethernet" plug into PAL couldn't you technically design a cable (on that end) that correctly crosses the voltage to the right charge pins, or is the voltage difference going to damage the iPod (I personally don't think it will, since I think this is a charge pin issue not a voltage one). Which is why only a new cable is needed for the PXAMG.

The reason I ask is I have the IS710 in my Jeep and it makes a horrid connection with the stock connector out of the Jeep (it drops the right speaker sometimes). The Corvette in the summer used the compact version of the IS710 (I think IS715) but that got fried on my trip to Florida when I hooked my iPhone up to the PXAMG I now have in my Dad's Saturn VUE. So I'd like to avoid these bulky connectors on the iPod end.

Heck you might be able to take the existing iPod/PAL cable, cut off the end and reattach an Ethernet end with the correct pins wired...
The PAL Ipod cable does not use a standard ethernet connector and, as noted above, there are ten terminals, not eight. The PAL supplier is now working on a new Ipod cable with the 5 volt charging built in, and I'm working on them to build a longer 10' cable as well. These will be available in the next few months.

But in the meantime, your iS710 cable should not have a poor connection. I would suggest calling whoever you purchased it from and request a replacement.

Ray
Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
The PAL Ipod cable does not use a standard ethernet connector and, as noted above, there are ten terminals, not eight. The PAL supplier is now working on a new Ipod cable with the 5 volt charging built in, and I'm working on them to build a longer 10' cable as well. These will be available in the next few months.

But in the meantime, your iS710 cable should not have a poor connection. I would suggest calling whoever you purchased it from and request a replacement.

Ray
Really, they are working on the 5-volt built in...

Hmm, that's defiantly interesting for me, and I never noticed that it was a 10 pin instead of an 8 pin connector, odd they used that type of connector anyway (as opposed to a standard wire harness connector).

I think in regards to my IS710 it's the Jeep's cable, not the IS710 (since it used to happen with the short one last winter as well). I think Chrysler made the 16-pin iPod connector too "long" which doesn't matter too much when it's plugged directly into the iPod but when it's plugged into the IS710 if it "wiggles" the wrong way it drops the speakers (I've tested this by wiggling the Chrysler connector where it plugs into the IS710 while the iPod plays).

My concern was that maybe the GM one was also too "long," but in reality I just think that those 16-pin connectors aren't something they designed to daisy chain.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

My Scosche adapter arrived today, less than a week after being ordered.

Works fine.

EDITED TO ADD:
As Ray has said, the preset stations on XM2 are still available through the 1-6 button on the steering wheel (2009 Coupe 3LT). In fact, if the screen is on "Source" and I go into the XM2 stations, the appropriate soft key will change to the XM2 station that i have selected. When I go back to the iPod, the soft key returns to its normal ipod function. Neat.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 01-03-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Frequently Asked Questions about the GM Personal Audio Link (PAL)

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

I've recently noticed that my iPod turns on every time I open a door on the car. Here's a typical situation:

This morning I had the iPod out of the car for a while, plugged into my computer to charge the battery and update my music list. When I was finished, I connected it to the PAL but didn't hide it away; it was just laying in the trunk area. I made sure it was turned off.

Later, I turned on the car and listened to the PAL/iPod for a few minutes. I turned off the radio and then turned off the car. Got out and closed the door, the car auto-locked like it should.

Several hours later, I returned to the garage and used the trunk button (by the license plate) to open the trunk. Immediately, the iPod came on with the little Corvette logo. It shut off after about a minute, then came back on again for another minute, repeated the process again and finally APPEARED to go dead.

Is this normal? I know that it can go on and off a few times when the car is first shut down, but is it normal to do this when the only thing I did was open the trunk?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:12 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default My PAL Install

I detailed my install here;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572712683-post61.html

I noticed that it does not charge my iPhone 3GS. I will try my iPod to see if it charges.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I've recently noticed that my iPod turns on every time I open a door on the car. Here's a typical situation:

This morning I had the iPod out of the car for a while, plugged into my computer to charge the battery and update my music list. When I was finished, I connected it to the PAL but didn't hide it away; it was just laying in the trunk area. I made sure it was turned off.

Later, I turned on the car and listened to the PAL/iPod for a few minutes. I turned off the radio and then turned off the car. Got out and closed the door, the car auto-locked like it should.

Several hours later, I returned to the garage and used the trunk button (by the license plate) to open the trunk. Immediately, the iPod came on with the little Corvette logo. It shut off after about a minute, then came back on again for another minute, repeated the process again and finally APPEARED to go dead.

Is this normal? I know that it can go on and off a few times when the car is first shut down, but is it normal to do this when the only thing I did was open the trunk?
Yes, Jim, that is normal. The second you open a door or other function, the PAL immediately powers on and starts trying to communicate with the XM receiver. It will power off in a couple of minutes after your car shuts down. During this time, you may hear the relay inside the PAL module clicking.

Ray

Quick Reply: Frequently Asked Questions about the GM Personal Audio Link (PAL)