C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on getting ready for a car show

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:04 AM
acrebs21
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on getting ready for a car show

I am going to put my car in a local car show in 2 weeks, so I am looking for some advice. Here are some appearance mods I have done, let me know what other small things I can do to help the appearance:

Red interior trim
Red dash letters
Red rear bumper letters
z06 chrome wheels
billet grille
tinted windows (including windshield)
I am having the fuel rail covers, hoodliner, fuse cover, and air intake cover custom airbrushed
Chrome rear license plate frame with red corvette letters

I am thinking I need some chrome or red engine caps and lloyds floor mats should be 2 things I definitely need to do. So what other little things could I do?

Also, what are some things I need to do to prepare my car for the show? I know I need to detail and wax it. But what else? Any tips? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Aaron
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well Aaron looks like you have been busy playing with the MOD BUG ! The 1st thing you need to know is to go and enjoy the show and don't put alot of emphasis on winning and alot of emphasis on learning how the other guys prepare and present their cars.A good detailing takes time and is well worth the effort.With that said focus on cleaning the inside of your wheels ( the barrels ), the exhaust tips and engine bay and look for any hidden areas such as the area tucked away where the hatch weather stripping at the top and the hatch meets and door sill area.Clean your a/c vents with a small paint brush and don't use armour all on your dash. ( it causes it to turn hazy ) Use micro fiber towels for polishing after waxing it.Make sure your glass is clean and your door panels aren't scuffed.Go over your floor mats with a lint roller you will be surprised what they will pickup off your mats and carpet areas.Make sure the rocker covers under the doors are clean.After washing your car check for any water spotting where the hood meets the weather stripping.Check your wheel wells for any grime and clean them and then apply some tire wet to them to make them shine. Use an air compressor to blow out any debris in your engine bay.I know this is a long list but maybe this will help.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Car Shows...

The Important thing is not to expect to much. You are going to learn a lot in just how shows are judged. Sometimes its fair, sometimes its not fair. You will learn a lot in your first few shows. The entry above gave you some good advice. I have been to a show that we drove 200 miles to get to and in the rain. When I read the judging all they said bad was dirt on the frame rails. I have been to to other shows where some people got together to cast votes for a particular vehicle. How about the time where a vehicle had 6 visible rust areas and was voted Best of Show. As I said sometimes what goes on is wrong. But there is not much you can do about it. Just enjoy the good things going on at the get together and dont get bent out of shape when some of these less than good things happen.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

If the show is organized by a car club join that club and make friends that will vote for your car. All the shows I have been in so far have been mostly judged by the entrants so the hosting club will have the largest presence.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 PM
c5biscuit
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made sure you clean the area around the gas cap. Also use masking tape to clean the trunk area carpet and under the console lid. Use a Q Tip to clean around the lug nuts. Clean under the fender wells using only soap and water. You will also want to clean around the brake light lens, dust usually accumulates there. Pay close attention to the firewall area and remove all dust etc. The local shows I attend, blings (mods) add no extra points to the judging. It is just a show and shine thing and it is the areas missed that make the difference. Bottom line go to enjoy the show and meet other Corvette enthusiasts, if you win a trophy great ... if not you made some good memories. Also don't forget to clean under and behind the seats. You would be surprised at the number of folks that forget to clean behind the seats.

Last edited by c5biscuit; 10-06-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Adding more.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's an old thread with some car-show prep tips:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...-question.html

And find "Detailing" under the INDEX at Bugman's website:
http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html

Also, bring a comfy folding chair, snacks & sodas, and a hat with a popular sentiment.

Look around, talk with folks, enjoy the show!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

All of the above advice...

If it is a People's or Entrant's Choice detail it to that level.

If it is a judged show, detail it in ways you never thought of! You have to clean things that you never noticed before. The judges will! Also, if it is judged, get a rule book. Depending on the organization, things like leaving your floor mats in the car will cost you points.

In any event, go have fun!!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I've been invited to bring my C6 to a car show. This is a casual event, no judging, as part of a local arts event (wine, live music, etc.). Apparently they advertised the car show and then discovered they need cars.

My C6 is a beautiful car, but it's a daily driver, not a show car. I read the posts about wheel wells and Q-tips and wonder if I should pass on the invitation? I don't want to overhear anyone say "what's this pos doing in a car show?".

This is probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me, so I am tempted.

Advice? I can handle the chair, hat and snacks.

Last edited by the kid C6; 05-23-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:06 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I enter car shows for one reason: I get a good parking spot for the show. My cars are clean but I'm not **** about it.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Open the hood, or no?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by acrebs21
I am going to put my car in a local car show in 2 weeks, so I am looking for some advice. Here are some appearance mods I have done, let me know what other small things I can do to help the appearance:

Red interior trim
Red dash letters
Red rear bumper letters
z06 chrome wheels
billet grille
tinted windows (including windshield)
I am having the fuel rail covers, hoodliner, fuse cover, and air intake cover custom airbrushed
Chrome rear license plate frame with red corvette letters

I am thinking I need some chrome or red engine caps and lloyds floor mats should be 2 things I definitely need to do. So what other little things could I do?

Also, what are some things I need to do to prepare my car for the show? I know I need to detail and wax it. But what else? Any tips? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Aaron
I would love to see some pics of what you have done.

I started showing a few years ago and have been modding steadily since. Last year I placed in every show I entered which was really nice but not the ultimate goal.

The fun is in meeting other owners and seeing what they have done to their cars. It's fun to talk to people who attend. They usually have a lot of questions and positive feedback.

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I've been invited to bring my C6 to a car show. This is a casual event, no judging, as part of a local arts event (wine, live music, etc.). Apparently they advertised the car show and then discovered they need cars.

My C6 is a beautiful car, but it's a daily driver, not a show car. I read Grumpy's post about wheel wells and Q-tips and wonder if I should pass on the invitation? I don't want to overhear anyone say "what's this pos doing in a car show?".

Go! See my above response. There are many different types of vehicles in all types of conditions. It really doesn't matter if it's pristine and it's a corvette!
The following users liked this post:
the kid C6 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:14 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Open the hood, or no?
Some open, some don't. For me, it depends on the weather. If it's windy, I keep it closed.
the kid C6 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:26 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 174 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Last year I was in a carshow, the flyer said classic cars but all cars welcome. But when they gave out the awards nothing over a 1972 won anything not even a new c7. So they added the all cars welcome to get more money from the extra participants. it was a lesson well learned lol.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Just enjoy yourself and stop worrying about the judging. It does not matter how they like it . It matters how you like the car. I try to find the non judged shows. I just do it for fun
Old 05-23-2016, 01:57 PM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Getting ready for car show

My C6 is a beautiful car, but it's a daily driver, not a show car. I read the posts about wheel wells and Q-tips and wonder if I should pass on the invitation? I don't want to overhear anyone say "what's this pos doing in a car show?".

Just make sure that you kick all the M.T. beer cans out and clean up the dog hair and you will be good to go!
the kid C6 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

New Corvettes do not do well at local car shows unless its a all Corvette show.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 174 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

If it is a none judged event then most definitely go and enjoy. it is none judged which means u can leave whenever you get ready too.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice on getting ready for a car show

Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

It's only a few hours in the evening, so I think I'll do it. They said we can't leave until the end because the street will be closed.

However, dealing with brake dust is now more important. Gotta shine those chrome wheels!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:47 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

We enter our GS in one or two all-Corvette shows a year because I enjoy the camaraderie and I support the charitable causes these clubs support. My best advise to you is two words: Clean, Shiny.

Lots of good advice in previous posts about how & what to clean, so just clean everything! Make your paint look it's very best by detailing to the best of your ability with quality products.

And as others have said, don't EXPECT to win, then if you do it will be a pleasant surprise.

Meet people, talk cars and HAVE FUN.

the kid C6 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 03:36 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,371 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...I don't want to overhear anyone say "what's this pos doing in a car show?". ...
I doubt you would. Clean it like you always do, just a little more in depth. A ton of good suggestions here.

Open the hood, or no?
Open anything that is clean enough to show...hood, hatch, etc. Make sure you blow a little air in the nooks and crannies under the hood where the small pebbles catch.
Go and have fun. You will see worse cars and better cars. But it is what the judge (or judges) are looking for that determines the winner.
the kid C6 (05-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Need some advice on getting ready for a car show