C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM
mlehere
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 Fob Programming

Originally Posted by EVRose
Yes unless there are already 4 programmed to the car. Then you would need to do the long procedure. If there is only 1 and 2 then the new one will be #3 however you not have access to any options.
Thanks for the quick response.
The following users liked this post:
EVRose (06-20-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 10:05 PM
maktonc6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanted to update on the replacement of RCDLR for the my Devil. SixAddict came over to the house today with his TECH2. After a ton of trial and error, the car is working again, with a single FOB, being labeled FOB1. Still need to add the second, but I have a TECH2 coming on monday and will fix that and the TPS sensors at that time.

Here is a little "after" video of the ..... fun.... we went through to get this car back up. The Trunk Key method did not work for me.

Also, If anyone need some TECH2 help in Phoenix area let me know.

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
gnemack (08-22-2023)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:21 AM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

With my recently purchased 05, I received 2 remotes. The first identifies as #2 and works all functions as well as auto locking. The second also identifies as #2 and all buttons work but auto locking does not. Do I need to re-program via the long method?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:25 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by ToomRaider
With my recently purchased 05, I received 2 remotes. The first identifies as #2 and works all functions as well as auto locking. The second also identifies as #2 and all buttons work but auto locking does not. Do I need to re-program via the long method?
What do you mean by "identify" as #2? If you mean the numbers printed on the fob, then my guess is that the PO lost one and added one(short procedure), so you really have a #2 and a #3. If this is the case, no options are available for #3.

Or the PO lost one and did the long procedure, so you have a #1 and a #2. If this is the case, you can go into options for driver 1 and turn auto locking on.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 PM
condor123
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for everyone's help

It took awhile today but I programmed my remotes on my 2008 c6 Corvette. I had to ground the tan wire on the back hatch plug (5 times)after removing the two thumb screws and back felt cover . Because rear key method didnt work. Also I had put fob in backwards in glove box pocket. Non key side goes in first.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:19 AM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Thanks owc6, yes the fobs are embossed as 2. You gave me the direction I was looking for with the options settings. I was afraid that I would have to start over with the programming.
thank You.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 AM
dperlich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cclive
I have redone the instructions to include a test of the glovebox slot before doing the long procedure so that people don't get into a situation where they erase all the old fobs and then find that the slot doesn't work and they can't add new fobs back to the system. I also would recommend that you attach a battery tender or charger to the car if you have one as a low battery can cause all kinds of crazy behavior from the car. This is especially important when doing the long procedure as it takes 30 minutes. Also, it is a good idea to disable the autolock feature if you have enabled it because it is a pain to have the car lock itself on you while doing this procedure and then have the horn honk when you open the door. Please keep in mind that cars made for export to Canada can only do the short procedure, the long must be done by a dealer. Cars made for export to Europe cannot do either long or short procedure, they must be programmed by a dealer. I believe this is the case for cars destined for the GCC countries also, but would like to hear from an owner there to confirm it.
Since the glovebox slot is something that most C6 owners never have used, they would normally be unaware that it is not working and may have never worked since the car was made. This is unique in the car because almost all the other systems in the car have been used at least once by the owner so as to know if they work. The metal key in the trunk lock would be another area that should be tested by the owner.
The glovebox slot has no electrical plug in it. There is no direct, wired connection to the fob...it is simply a place that holds the fob right next to what is basically an antenna. The end of the fob that holds the keyring must face outwards and the fob buttons must face to the passenger side.
Here are the instructions including the long, short and the test procedure for the slot.

C6 Fob Programming Instructions

Before starting, it is important to make sure that the glovebox slot is working properly. If it is not, and the long procedure is started, then the car will be stripped of its fob programming, but will then not be able to accept new fob programming through the slot. This will leave the car unable to be started. Since most C6 owners have never tested the slot, or had to use it to start the car with a dead fob, they would be unaware if it had never been working properly since the car was new. To make sure that the glovebox slot is working, follow steps 1-6 below. Then in step 7, you may either insert the new, unprogrammed fob into the slot and continue to step 8, or you may insert one of the fobs that is currently programmed to the car into the slot. If the slot is presented with a fob that is ALREADY programmed to the car, the DIC will say “Known Fob”. This shows us that the slot is working correctly by recognizing this fob. Push the bottom half of the start button to end the session if you were just testing the slot for proper operation.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side and keyring facing outwards.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

Testing the glovebox slot above. Step 6 gets the system into the program mode so that if you then put an unknown fob into the slot in step 7, it will be added to the car. If you put the already working fob into the slot in step 7, the DIC will say "KNOWN FOB" and nothing additional will be programmed. When it says KNOWN FOB, it shows you that the slot is working as it has read the fob and told you that it already has that fob programmed to the car. At this point, just push the OFF part of the start button and all is good, no changes made. If , at step 7, you put a known fob in the slot and the DIC does not say KNOWN FOB, then the slot is not working and you should not do the long procedure.

C6 Fob Long Procedure….use these instructions 11-22 to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Be sure to confirm proper operation of the glovebox slot with the short procedure before using this one. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

11. Drivers window down, car off
12. Trunk open
13. Glove box open
14. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
15. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
16. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. With step 17, all previous fobs will be erased. To continue with programming:
17. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
18. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
19. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
20. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side and the keyring end facing outwards.
21. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
22. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.

Please read through the rest of the thread as many people have added their tips and tricks...lots of good info

Added 9/13/2015: If the car CAN be put into the programming mode but the slot FAILS to recognize a fob, it could be that the system antenna that is attached directly behind the slot is either: 1. defective or 2. (More likely)Unplugged from its' wiring harness or 3. (Also more likely) not properly positioned in its' own slot directly behind the glovebox slot. Pulling the glovebox out will allow this to be easily observed. This antenna must be very very close to the fob in the slot in order to program the fob. See this thread for a diagram and pics of a situation where the antenna was not replaced into its' slot after work was done. It caused serious problems and yet was a very simple fix:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-only-me.html

Thanks to GhostC6 and Dano523 for some good pictures, diagrams and analysis on the problem.
So my one and only keyfob stopped registering with the car recently l, but was able to start the car if I placed the FOB in the slot in the glove box. I figured it was a battery issue with the FOB, so I replaced the battery. Still wouldn't allow me to start the car without being placed in the slot. So I do the procedure above doing the long method. Everything was working smoothly until I tried starting the car with the FOB outside of the slot. Still no results and still getting the NO FOB DETECTED on the DIC. So I placed the FOB back in the slot. Car won't start. Panicking, I tried to re-attempt the long method. DIC doesn't show me anything. So now my car is bricked and won't go through the process in resetting a FOB. Is the a solution other than going to a dealership's service department?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by dperlich
So my one and only keyfob stopped registering with the car recently l, but was able to start the car if I placed the FOB in the slot in the glove box. I figured it was a battery issue with the FOB, so I replaced the battery. Still wouldn't allow me to start the car without being placed in the slot. So I do the procedure above doing the long method. Everything was working smoothly until I tried starting the car with the FOB outside of the slot. Still no results and still getting the NO FOB DETECTED on the DIC. So I placed the FOB back in the slot. Car won't start. Panicking, I tried to re-attempt the long method. DIC doesn't show me anything. So now my car is bricked and won't go through the process in resetting a FOB. Is the a solution other than going to a dealership's service department?
Not that this helps you now, but it was not necessary to reprogram the fob. The car doesn't just doesn't de-register it on it's own. If I had to guess at the problem, your car battery is marginal, and might have been the root cause of the NO FOB DETECTED problem. Going through the long procedure wouldn't have helped the state of the battery, which might have insufficient voltage at this point to run the electronics properly and start the car. I'd say at this point, you need to have the battery checked. Can you get hold of a voltmeter, and if so, what voltage do you see across the terminals?

Also, just because you changed the fob battery doesn't mean that the replacement is OK - 'new' batteries have been know to be DOA. Also, check that you put it in the right way around.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 01-14-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM
condor123
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob

My fob went dead after failing to program. When I pushed bottom half of start switch, it reset car so I could start it also I could return to programming .
Old 01-15-2019, 12:34 AM
dperlich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I found out that the was a piece of instruction missing when I found an official PDF file that instructs how to do this. Apparently you're supposed to hit the unlock button right after the keyfob has been paired and if you fail to do this, the fob becomes unusable. However, what I don't get is why the DIC won't give the option to go into learn mode all the interior lights and other DIC messages (NO FOB DETECTED) seem to work fine. So I'm not thinking it's a car battery issue. I'm wondering if the reset cable broke off?

Last edited by dperlich; 01-15-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:54 AM
dreskiluv
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking to buy a additional fob, thanks for the write up.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

So I've read the entire thread and I think I know the answer to my question, but maybe someone can confirm if I understand correctly... first off, it's a Canadian car, so I know that only the short method will work... when I look in the owner's manual, it actually says that "For vehicles sold in Canada, two recognized transmitters are required to program a new transmitter"... it doesn't say however if I need to have both recognized transmitters in the car as well as the "new" transmitter during programming or not, but I guess I can try with only one recognized transmitter and see if it works...
So my question is that both my fobs are worse for wear when I bought the car last Nov. (2012 Grand Sport)... meaning that the little button to "release" the key are not present, so the keys are not very secure in the slot... so I ended up ordering a new #1 fob...

So I know that I can likely add this new fob as #3 using the short method, but I assume this means that this fob will not work with any of the car's personalization features, as it seems that the car's personalisation correspond to the actual #1 and #2 fobs...

So for a Canadian car, if I want a "new" #1 fob programmed so that it also works with the car's personalization features I have no choice but to bring it to a dealer... is this correct?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2019, 06:39 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by my1970conv
So I've read the entire thread and I think I know the answer to my question, but maybe someone can confirm if I understand correctly... first off, it's a Canadian car, so I know that only the short method will work... when I look in the owner's manual, it actually says that "For vehicles sold in Canada, two recognized transmitters are required to program a new transmitter"... it doesn't say however if I need to have both recognized transmitters in the car as well as the "new" transmitter during programming or not, but I guess I can try with only one recognized transmitter and see if it works...
So my question is that both my fobs are worse for wear when I bought the car last Nov. (2012 Grand Sport)... meaning that the little button to "release" the key are not present, so the keys are not very secure in the slot... so I ended up ordering a new #1 fob...

So I know that I can likely add this new fob as #3 using the short method, but I assume this means that this fob will not work with any of the car's personalization features, as it seems that the car's personalisation correspond to the actual #1 and #2 fobs...

So for a Canadian car, if I want a "new" #1 fob programmed so that it also works with the car's personalization features I have no choice but to bring it to a dealer... is this correct?

Thanks
True unless you have access to a Tech 2 programmer. However, if you are not the original owner, where was the car delivered? I was fortunate to purchase a used vette that was originally a US car, and nothing is done when it is imported to turn it into a Canadian car. I can do the long procedure.

Easiest thing to do is to swap the guts from the old fob into the new case for now.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 03-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 PM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
True unless you have access to a Tech 2 programmer. However, if you are not the original owner, where was the car delivered? I was fortunate to purchase a used vette that was originally a US car, and nothing is done when it is imported to turn it into a Canadian car. I can do the long procedure.

Easiest thing to do is to swap the guts from the old fob into the new case for now.
Thanks for the info FatsWaller... i’ll look into the tech 2 programmer... and it was delivered to Quebec and has a 320kph speedometer so likely a “true” Canadian car...
Swapping the guts may be my best solution though... thanks again.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:12 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Looks like I have more work to do.
I have an original fob 2 and an eBay fob stamped 2 also. Original 2 works flawlessly. eBay fob was programmed By the previous owner via the short method and all of the buttons work.
With the eBay fob if I select Options, the display says that there are none.
I assume that I need to use the long method? Any wise advice to give?
Old 04-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Looks like I have more work to do.
I have an original fob 2 and an eBay fob stamped 2 also. Original 2 works flawlessly. eBay fob was programmed By the previous owner via the short method and all of the buttons work.
With the eBay fob if I select Options, the display says that there are none.
I assume that I need to use the long method? Any wise advice to give?
Yes, you need to use the long method and program both fobs if the original fob you have was programmed to the car as fob #2. The short method would program the new fob as #3, which doesn't have access to OPTONS.

Use the long menthod and reprogram the 2 fobs as #1 and #2.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:05 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

In my heart I knew that was what I had to do but I was hoping for an easy way out.
Thanks for responding to me.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 04-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

In my heart I knew that was what I had to do but I was hoping for an easy way out.
Thanks for responding to me.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

I’m getting frustrated��.
I performed steps 11-15. Fobs in a tin box 40 ft away and cel phone same distance away. I get no response from the DIC or horn no matter how fast or slow (within 5 sec) I turn the key 5 times.
Car is shut down,windows open, glove box open and trunk open.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 AM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

05 C6. Trying to follow long method of the first post, starting at step 11. I have fob 2 and one programmed as fob 3. I am trying to erase them and reset as fob 1 and 2.

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions