C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-garage... Questions inside regarding checkered floors

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-doing garage... Questions inside regarding checkered floors

So im redoing one of my garages. I just spent about 2 grand on kobalt tool sheds/boxes/shelves and what not. Last thing to do is redo the floor. I was curious as to where you guys purchased your checkered floor tiles or whatever they are and how much you spent on them. I'd like to have this ready for when I order my grand sport in march.

Last edited by TysonJones; 11-08-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed RaceDeck three years ago. I am completely satisfied with it. There are some other floor tiles that are less expensive, but I've heard that they also have some issues with durability. At time of purchase for me it was approx. $4/sq. ft.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:16 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

a few guys have had issues with mildew and the tiles coming back up. I chose the painted way with chips in it and a clear coat. Takes some effort and time consuming but if done right it should last years. I got the stuff from originalcolorchips.com they had great customer service and its way more durable then the stuff you get at lowes etc...the photos dont do it justice. be safe, paul

Old 11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I bought RaceDeck about a year ago. Cost was $3 a sq with free shipping. This sale took place the Friday after Thanksgiving. I bet they will do the same this year.

Very happy with the floor and it only took about 2 hours to complete the job including cutting the edge pieces.

The link below shows the colors I went with. Good luck with your project!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/grea...t-is-done.html
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
TysonJones
Racer

I appreciate the help guys. I went to racedeck.com and looked around there but couldnt find any legit prices. I just got back from lowes and they had garage tiling, can't remember if it was called racedeck or not though, but it wasa 6.97 per square feet, a little rediculous if you ask me. Where did you guys purchase yours?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:37 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with BIGLFOORS.com. They sell RaceDeck tiles and they also sell their own house brands (made by SnapLock --the company who also makes RaceDeck).

I got my diamond plate pattern from them and only paid a couple of bucks a square foot, and they ship free. A great company to deal with, whichever brand you choose.

I am very happy with mine and they make the garage a pleasant place to hang out in. Simplest things in the world to install.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Originally Posted by mongooseC6
Check with BIGLFOORS.com. They sell RaceDeck tiles and they also sell their own house brands (made by SnapLock --the company who also makes RaceDeck).

I got my diamond plate pattern from them and only paid a couple of bucks a square foot, and they ship free. A great company to deal with, whichever brand you choose.

I am very happy with mine and they make the garage a pleasant place to hang out in. Simplest things in the world to install.
Wow, great prices at bigfloors. Thanks bud.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Steve Zaino
Racer

I've looked at the flooring at Lowe's and I don't recall it costing anywhere near the price you mentioned.

Are you sure that you have your math correct?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 AM
TysonJones
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve Zaino
I've looked at the flooring at Lowe's and I don't recall it costing anywhere near the price you mentioned.

When the price says 6.97 per square feet, no math is needed. Lowe's prices vary in different places Im sure.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I bought Costco's MotoFloor 2 years ago, on sale for $2 square foot. It is made by Racedeck but it is a "lesser" pattern, fewer bumps on the surface than their regular tiles. To me it makes it easier to clean. Anyway the regular price is about $2.50 square foot. They put it on sale a couple times a year.

FYI, a former vendor here who used to sell the Racedeck said you can call Racedeck and tell them you found an internet deal for $2.85 square foot and they will meet that price and sell to you direct. Don't know if that still works.....just sayin'.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I can recommend the plastic tiles for garage floors. I did a previous garage in epoxy, and vowed I would never do that job again. Scrubbing, cleaning, acid etch, rinse, clean etc etc etc, and when done, it still lifted under the hot tires.

The floor tiles are easily installed, ( I did a 950 sq ft garage witht the help of my two grandsons in one day) they have tapered edging for the entrance, they easily snap together, come in many colors and you can take them with you if you move.

I used MOTOMAT tiles about 6 years ago, I believe they are no longer on the internet, and I paid about $2.50 per square foot. Look at the links in this thread or google garage floor tiles for vendors. My tiles are perforated, so when I mop the floor the water runs thru, and under, and out the door.

The lift sits right on the tiles, but when lifting my 7000 pound Tahoe, I put a sheet of 1/4 plywood under the jack stands and jack wheels to keep from denting the floor. The plywood is not needed with my vette or my Lotus Seven clone.

Get the tiles, you will never be disappointed.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
TSAGG
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

EPOXY, EPOXY!!!! [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-10-2009, 06:41 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryC5
I can recommend the plastic tiles for garage floors. I did a previous garage in epoxy, and vowed I would never do that job again. Scrubbing, cleaning, acid etch, rinse, clean etc etc etc, and when done, it still lifted under the hot tires.

The floor tiles are easily installed, ( I did a 950 sq ft garage witht the help of my two grandsons in one day) they have tapered edging for the entrance, they easily snap together, come in many colors and you can take them with you if you move.

I used MOTOMAT tiles about 6 years ago, I believe they are no longer on the internet, and I paid about $2.50 per square foot. Look at the links in this thread or google garage floor tiles for vendors. My tiles are perforated, so when I mop the floor the water runs thru, and under, and out the door.

The lift sits right on the tiles, but when lifting my 7000 pound Tahoe, I put a sheet of 1/4 plywood under the jack stands and jack wheels to keep from denting the floor. The plywood is not needed with my vette or my Lotus Seven clone.

Get the tiles, you will never be disappointed.
Thanks man. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
BC427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed Race Deck about two years ago in my three car garage. It took two days by myself to finish. I love it. If you go to Race Deck's web page you can contact your local dealer. Race Deck uses independent distributors. Race Deck is based in Utah. My local distributor uses his garage as the show room. He went over my design and then ordered everything. He even gave me extra tiles and edges. He also discounted $100 off his quote when I told him I was considering another competitor.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

You are probably thinking of the Armstrong tiles that are like what you see in supermarkets. That is what I used on my floor. They look great when new, but the white ones stain from tires and the stains are impossible to get out. Below is a picture of my floor when I put it down.

This picture is about a three years later....

Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the RaceDeck floor tiles installed right after we built our house.
There were several reasons I opted for the RD tiles:

1. I can take them with me when I sell the house
2. They are easy to clean. Tire/fluid stains disappear with a damp mop and some household detergent
3. I can change the pattern anytime with little effort
4. I can easily replace damaged tiles with little effort (but I haven't damaged any RD tiles nor have my friends that have RD)

Tom

PRICE: I paid $2300 for 600 sq ft (installed). A local distributor had a booth set up at the St Louis auto show and had a "special" package deal. He also installed some of some of his wall organizer panels with the drop in slide hangers.

Last edited by AFVETTE; 11-11-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added price
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Steve Zaino
Racer

I just went up on the Lowes website. The Gladiator garage floor tiles work out to 4.23/ sq ft.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...tt=garage+tile

Sometimes either Lowes and/or Home Depot display an "installed" price per sq ft for flooring. Maybe that was the 6.97/sq ft you saw?

Regardless of location there should be no price difference. You can order on line at that price and either ship direct or have store pickup.

Get notified of new replies

To Re-garage... Questions inside regarding checkered floors

Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM
TysonJones
Racer

I just went up on the Lowes website. The Gladiator garage floor tiles work out to 4.23/ sq ft.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...tt=garage+tile

Sometimes either Lowes and/or Home Depot display an "installed" price per sq ft for flooring. Maybe that was the 6.97/sq ft you saw?

Regardless of location there should be no price difference. You can order on line at that price and either ship direct or have store pickup.
I wont be buying from lowes. Even at 4 dollars they are twice the price as some racedeck tiles.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
pacebria
Racer

What about water getting under them and being nasty. My wife pulls in the garage when her car is soaking wet and makes a mess.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TysonJones
I wont be buying from lowes. Even at 4 dollars they are twice the price as some racedeck tiles.
I'm sure I"m not the only one that would appreciate a link to racedeck tiles for $2.00 a square foot

Quick Reply: Re-garage... Questions inside regarding checkered floors