C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Supercar Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:46 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Goodyear Supercar Tire Questions

Bought my '07 vert 1 month ago with 12k miles. The car has Z51. It appears the front tires are wearing faster than the rears. Is that common? Do they come new with less tread and under normal driving conditions do they wear faster because they are on they are wheels that do the steering?

I have read that on the Z51 it makes no sense to go with tires that are not designed for this suspension, but I have to assume there are other tires for better wear if there will be no racing or autocross. If this is the case what are you using. On my C5 I used the Michelin all season zero pressure tire and I liked them. I probably could have gotten 40k miles out of them if I had kept the car.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

btw, I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but what topic hasn't?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default well..

You are right on all counts... The Supercar tires are soft, and do not last very long... the fronts wear normally on the inside...15,000 to 18,000 miles is what most get. When these are done... you have a lot of choices... Firestone run flats, and others... I am sure someone will chime in as to the best milage for the best price tire, and best performace.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

It's not at all uncommon for the fronts to wear quicker than the rears. As you said, it's largely due to the fact that the fronts do the steering. I replaced my fronts at around 20,000 miles (roughly 1400 miles ago) and my rears probably have another 4 or 5000 miles left.

Many here have reported outstanding results from Firestone runflats. I'll definitely be checking them out when the time comes.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information. I assume some will say I am defeating the purpose of the Z51 if I don't replace with Goodyears, but I plan no high speed driving. There is currently another thread running about not being able to fix the Firestone runflats. Picking up a nail and having to replace the tire seems like a pretty high price to pay.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Thanks for the information. I assume some will say I am defeating the purpose of the Z51 if I don't replace with Goodyears, but I plan no high speed driving. There is currently another thread running about not being able to fix the Firestone runflats. Picking up a nail and having to replace the tire seems like a pretty high price to pay.

I've got an '08 Z51 and my back GY Super Cars are wearing faster then the fronts and I don't run them that hard.

I bet the previous owner of yours has put new ones on the back. As far as Firestones go, I'd use them for the better price plus ride and noise improvement. There's no reason they can't be plugged, it's just that Firestone won't guarantee them if they're run flat, which I'm suspect is purely for legal reasons to avoid lawsuits.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,156 Likes on 6,206 Posts

If you get the Firestones, buy Road Hazard. The cost is minimal.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

47,000 miles on my set of Firestone's and they are still looking good. I have been very happy with them.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodyear Supercar Tire Questions

Quick Reply: Goodyear Supercar Tire Questions