C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which iPod for 2009 w/Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jksvet
Hate to ask this, but I thought I read somewhere where the sound quality wasn't as good when hooked through the satellite. Any truth to that?
Thanks
I find it better

Originally Posted by beav626
Actually the opposite.

my opinion was the sound was better than XM... Very low level interference but Once you turn up the tunes its crisp and clear.

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Thanks for all the help, guys.

Reading the Owner Manual had me thinking the Nav radio also has the input for an iPod, but I can't actually find it in the car.

Guess I'll have to spend the money for a PAL. How complicated is the installation, and can you position the input jack anywhere?
I used the PAL and harness from Kawal (read below). I have a Convertible and it took me about 10 minutes to get the PAL connected with the KAWAL harness.

The most time was spent putting the waterfall back into the car.

Originally Posted by kawal
It is my understanding that only the 2010 Vettes offered a PAL as a dealer installed option. If that is true, then your 2009 will not have the PAL installed, but you can definitely install one easily.

There is one issue with the PAL that might influence your decision regarding which Ipod to buy. The PAL will not charge the latest Ipods and Iphones with the Ipod connection cable that comes in the kit. Therefore a good option is to pick up an older Ipod like a Generation 3 Nano with 8 Gb of storage - that's what I have and it works great.

You didn't say whether your '09 is a coupe or vert. If you have a coupe (or Z06) and install the PAL at the XM receiver (the easy way), you will either store the Ipod in the left rear storage compartment or you must then purchase a 4' extension cable to enable storage in the center console - the extension cable is also a charging adapter that WILL charge the latest Ipods and Iphones.

A lot of these questions are answered in the Frequently Asked Questions page:

http://www.kawal.net/PALFAQs.htm

But in my opinion, the PAL is the best Ipod interface for the Corvette out there. If you've got Nav and want an Ipod for storing and handling music, you'll like the PAL.

To use the Ipod, you will need to download the free computer program called Itunes. This is where you store and organize all of your music on your home computer. Once your music is organized in Itunes, you simply sync your Ipod and whatever music is in Itunes is quickly sent to your Ipod.

Ray
Ray,
Finally purchased an IPOD and the PAL. With your Harness it took me less than 5 minutes to have the IPOD playing in the car. I did adjust your install a bit. I put the PAL behind the waterfall in the little area behind the seat in the vert. I left the cable in there also. Now I get into the car, connect the IPOD, leave it in the little area behind the seat and control it from the head unit. I did not want to put the IPOD in the console since it gets so hot inside.

SOUNDS GREAT!!! THANKS!!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mvcrash
I find it better

I used the PAL and harness from Kawal (read below). I have a Convertible and it took me about 10 minutes to get the PAL connected with the KAWAL harness.

The most time was spent putting the waterfall back into the car.

Ray,
Finally purchased an IPOD and the PAL. With your Harness it took me less than 5 minutes to have the IPOD playing in the car. I did adjust your install a bit. I put the PAL behind the waterfall in the little area behind the seat in the vert. I left the cable in there also. Now I get into the car, connect the IPOD, leave it in the little area behind the seat and control it from the head unit. I did not want to put the IPOD in the console since it gets so hot inside.

SOUNDS GREAT!!! THANKS!!
Do you have any photos you could share? I could post them on the website to show others an alternative installation. Since I don't personally have a convertible, I'm not exactly sure where you are describing.

Ray
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM
mauiboy808
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sync an iphone 4s to a 2009 corvette

Aloha!
I'm looking for instructions to sync an iphone 4s to a 2009 corvette.
thanks!
MB
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mauiboy808
Aloha!
I'm looking for instructions to sync an iphone 4s to a 2009 corvette.
thanks!
MB
The Version 2 PAL is by far the best iPod (or iPhone) interface for the C6 Corvette. Although I don't have the Version 2 PALs in stock right now, please check out my main website for an explanation and details:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

If you look at the Version 2 PAL page, also look at the link for how to Upgrade an original PAL to Version 2 - the Upgrade page will give you a list of some dealers who still have a few of the original PALs left.

You'll also see a link for a review of iPod adapters for a comparison.

Ray
Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

i have Kawals, little head phone jack that plugs in at the Sat.

In 2 C6s, and he made a custom one to fit my GMC truck (plugs where the same, pin out different) sound is great. and can still used iPhone, or iPod to control music. also if phone rings, the iPhone handles the audio.... and will push phone convo to car speakers...

also if lessening to music and nav wants to tell you something it lower the volume of the music. works great.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mittens
i have Kawals, little head phone jack that plugs in at the Sat.

In 2 C6s, and he made a custom one to fit my GMC truck (plugs where the same, pin out different) sound is great. and can still used iPhone, or iPod to control music. also if phone rings, the iPhone handles the audio.... and will push phone convo to car speakers...

also if lessening to music and nav wants to tell you something it lower the volume of the music. works great.
These are the auxiliary input harnesses described here:

http://www.kawal.net/auxinput.htm

Ray

Quick Reply: Which iPod for 2009 w/Nav?