C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport motor getting replaced - <3K miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry for the bad luck, they'll make it right.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
the "hand assembled" thing is sooooo funny. Its like guys are proud of them being hand assembled, funny really. Like its more valuable or cool maybe?
Anything can fail.

As far as the hand assembly question, consider the advantage of having the engine factory blueprinted. Instead of grabbing a block and shoving 8 pistons into it, care is done to make sure each piston has the proper clearance, for example.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HANNY
the "hand assembled" thing is sooooo funny. Its like guys are proud of them being hand assembled, funny really. Like its more valuable or cool maybe?
How about a little better quality. a little attention to detail and pride in workmanship. something you cant get from a robot or 30 different people on an engine building assy line.

The hand built thing is one guy, from start to finish.
hey, I saw the video, ...and GM even said so

Oh, and what Airbus said.
Hey air bus, finally got my bilstein sports and z51 sways, man u weren't lying bout the ride. I'm in love all over again.
Sorry hope I'm not hi jackin. edit: the thread that is. no pun intended.

Last edited by vetsvett; 12-18-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i lost an engine at 3.3k miles, chevy repaired it.. that's what a warranty is for!
I didnt want another car because I love my car, not too many with comp grey rims..
Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Anything can fail.

As far as the hand assembly question, consider the advantage of having the engine factory blueprinted. Instead of grabbing a block and shoving 8 pistons into it, care is done to make sure each piston has the proper clearance, for example.
Oh, so I guess the proper manufacturing tolerances are not there within the junk engines the rest of us have.

Production line assembled engines have been used by the automotive industry for how many years now?

Assembled by just one tech, cool. But I really do not believe it really is adding anything to the quality - thus the point of this thread!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
This, my friends, is exactly why they put a warranty on these cars.It's being handled,no fuss no muss.
Everything will be just fine, no worries.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

The "hand assembled" engines are not blueprinted. ALL the parts are normal run parts made to the same specs. There is no hand fitting of a particular piston to a particular cylinder, etc. There is no special machining done to the parts except for the torque plate honing done on the supercharged engines.

Because of the special long snout crank and the special oil pump assembly and pan required on the dry sump engines, it is better to "hand assemble" the engines off line vs running then down the normal production line. This is normal procedure in manufacturing; build odd ball units off line to keep from disrupting high speed machining/assembly lines.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd thing that a person who only puts pistons in an LS3, and does it 10x a day, would be better at putting pistons in that a guy who does it 1x a week.

Jack of all trades is a master of none. Engines are the same, don't matter who (or how many people) builds them.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,962 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sorry to hear that this happened to your practically brand new car. But very glad to hear that it was handled so quickly and well by both the dealership and GM. You may not have intended it as such, but to me this is a compliment to both!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Sorry for the bad luck, they'll make it right.

I am sorry to hear that this happened, but as someone already mentioned, anything made by human hands can fail.

That's what the warranty is for. A popped motor is rare, but if it should happen, then at least the warranty makes it a lot easier to take.

To the original poster, best of luck getting it back on the road.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 813 Posts

Bad luck for sure, glad it has happened in the winter time and let us know how it does unfold
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Corvette_Outlaw
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Everything will be just fine, no worries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgf4zq0bi_w

Last edited by Corvette_Outlaw; 12-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 PM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys - I will update this posting as I receive info from the dealer/GM
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

It will be really interesting to see what happens...I'm wondering what is wrong with the engine that would require replacement when it was driven back to the dealership under its own power with the check engine light being the only symptom....
Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 PM
6spdgs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
You know this "hand assembled" thing has had me wanting to ask a question for awhile now (or make a statement) - ALL engines are "hand assembled"!! Do you guys think there is a robot out there putting these non-Wixom engines together cause that sure as heck is not happening. The Wixom engines are fully assembled by "one person" vs going down a production line where several people may be involved, but they are all "hand assembled".

More likely just a failed/bad part rather than someone making a mistake during assembly.
Finally the statement was made. Thank you. Did anyone really think the hand assembled was better than the factory assembled ?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, sorry to hear that, I would like to swing by and see what they've done,could learn something...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Oh, so I guess the proper manufacturing tolerances are not there within the junk engines the rest of us have.

Production line assembled engines have been used by the automotive industry for how many years now?

Assembled by just one tech, cool. But I really do not believe it really is adding anything to the quality - thus the point of this thread!
Sorry you feel your engine is "junk" because it doesn't get the care the hand built units do.

The hand built engines are assembled by GM's best technicians. There is value in this process and GM isn't doing it just to impress you.

Here's some info that explains the build:

http://www.corvetteclubofamerica.org...ection%203.pdf

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ter/index.html

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/65756...ter/index.html

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport motor getting replaced - <3K miles

Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Wow, how do you guys turn this guys engine replacement into all this hate....lets just forget all that and see what happened to his engine and give him some encouragement while his new car is in the shop...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:41 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I'd like to know what the code was and why did they yank my motor without my say so. They are very few 'mechanical' failures that will set a CEL.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Sorry you feel your engine is "junk" because it doesn't get the care the hand built units do.

The hand built engines are assembled by GM's best technicians. There is value in this process and GM isn't doing it just to impress you.

Here's some info that explains the build:

http://www.corvetteclubofamerica.org...ection%203.pdf

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ter/index.html

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/65756...ter/index.html

Am I the only one that sees hand built as a bad thing? Human hands are inherently flawed and when your dealing with something as precise as a high hp motor I would rather have a machine do it. Maybe thats my natural trust in computers over the mind when it comes to precision

On his best day maybe a human hand can produce a superior engine but on his worst day there is far too much room for error imo.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport motor getting replaced - <3K miles