C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports World Challenge wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LG Motorsports World Challenge wheels

Any of you guys running the full polished LG Motorsports wheels? I know the 2 tone is more common.

The iconz and cray wheels i posted about aren't going to work for me. The chrome has to much bling. What i really want is polished.

I spoke with Anthony over at LG and he gave me a fair price on a set of full polished world challenge wheels. The catch is that the wheels are clear coated. He does offer a service to have the clear removed and the wheels polished to a mirror shine though. The cost is $850 more. That's over $200 more poor wheel.

I would like to know how many guys have the polished wheels with clear coat and if anyone spent the extra to get the non clear coated polished wheel that can be polished by hand.

How shiny are the clear coated wheels? If you look at the cleared wheels can you see your reflection in the wheels. Does it look like a mirror or is it cloudy and distorted like factory polished wheels. Has the clear held up over time well? Its my understanding even the 2 tone wheels are cleared so they would have clear coat on the polished lip as well. Also are the inside of the hoops cleared? Anthony didn't think they were. He though only the face of the wheel was cleared but he wasn't sure.

Close up pictures are very helpful but even if you can't provide pics I would really like to know.

I do not want to turn this into a post about whether which finish is better. Both are absolutely fine. I've owned wheels with both finishes and never had a problem with either. I have no problem hand polishing my own wheels. If anything my non-clear coated wheels look better because I can get a shinier finish. If the wheels are polished enough clear coated I think i am going to go with those to save a little extra cash. I can always polish them later but I could save the $850 or use that money else where for other mods.

It is my understanding even the 2 tone wheels are clear coated so even the people with 2 tones wheels should be able to tell by looking at the polished lip what the finish looks like.

Last edited by MCSSLT1; 01-10-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

No one has the full polish set?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
fade94
Racer

No longer on the car, but here are some pictures.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Fade are those clear coated or none clear coated wheels?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I use the 2 Tone LG Wheels at the track on my C6Z. One thing to think about is the clearance between the inside of the wheel barrel and the brake caliper. On my Z06 the brake calipers hit the stick on weights that are towards the outside of the wheel. The calipers do not hit the stick on weights that are in the same location on the OEM wheels. I suspect the barrel of the LG wheel is a little thicker than the barrel of the OEM wheel. Interesting enough I purchased these tires/wheels from another Z06 owner and the weights did not hit the calipers on his Z.

Other than that they seem to be an excellent wheel although after a couple of track sessions with a set of racing brake pads I did get them hot enough to cause the clear coat to peel off the outside wheel flange. The dark paint on the spokes did not peel.

Bill
Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I use the 2 Tone LG Wheels at the track on my C6Z. One thing to think about is the clearance between the inside of the wheel barrel and the brake caliper. On my Z06 the brake calipers hit the stick on weights that are towards the outside of the wheel. The calipers do not hit the stick on weights that are in the same location on the OEM wheels. I suspect the barrel of the LG wheel is a little thicker than the barrel of the OEM wheel. Interesting enough I purchased these tires/wheels from another Z06 owner and the weights did not hit the calipers on his Z.

Other than that they seem to be an excellent wheel although after a couple of track sessions with a set of racing brake pads I did get them hot enough to cause the clear coat to peel off the outside wheel flange. The dark paint on the spokes did not peel.

Bill

Good to hear. I have a regular C6 so clearance won't be an issue unless I decide to do the Z06 big brakes in the future. I just did all power coated calipers, stainless lines, and mirror stainless brake pad covers so I won't be doing the conversion anytime in the near future.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
fade94
Racer

I "think" they are the polished wheels. They were on and off the car before I bought it. Ask Anthony at LG, that is his car. Well, my car now, but it has Forgeline wheels on it now.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by MCSSLT1
Good to hear. I have a regular C6 so clearance won't be an issue unless I decide to do the Z06 big brakes in the future. I just did all power coated calipers, stainless lines, and mirror stainless brake pad covers so I won't be doing the conversion anytime in the near future.
Z06 brake clearance is not related to balancing weights, it is a function of wheel offset and I am about 99% sure the LG wheels for a Base C6 will not clear the Z06 BBK's. Of course, the LG wheels for Z06's do clear the brakes....
Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fade94
I "think" they are the polished wheels. They were on and off the car before I bought it. Ask Anthony at LG, that is his car. Well, my car now, but it has Forgeline wheels on it now.

Oh ok yeah i did speak with Anothony about those last week. Those are not clear coated. IIRC they were one of the first sets done before clear coating.

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Z06 brake clearance is not related to balancing weights, it is a function of wheel offset and I am about 99% sure the LG wheels for a Base C6 will not clear the Z06 BBK's. Of course, the LG wheels for Z06's do clear the brakes....
hmmm you might be right but you have to remember that both Z06's and Regular C6's have 18's up front but the Z06 runs a larger brake rotor. I know there is very very little room from the caliper to the rim on Z06's. It really tight. My regular C6 has quite a bit of room. Now the 17" rims i got on the front of my car how has very little room. There might be just enough for a wheel weight.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,438 Likes on 781 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here's mine in chrome. When I bought mine polished or chrome were the same price.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

I have two tone, black powder center and polished lip. The lip is not cleared...

I'm actually in the process of changing wheels. Going with comp. grey Z06 style wheels instead.

If interested in buying a set of used LG's CHEAP let me know. They do have a few scratches in one of the front wheels on the polished lip area, and there's a couple chips in the powder, but nothing major that couldn't be repaired...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM
sfsvettes
BubbaHut
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default sharp looking wheels

Either way they are sharp looking wheels !
Good Luck
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Think about the up keep required for fully polished uncleared wheels. Had them on the Big Rig and Trailer and are a real pain to keep looking 100%. If DD in good weather your'll be polishing monthly. If let go, blemishes and pitting occurs and sanding is needed.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
0ULTRA IMPORTS
Former Vendor

MCSSLT1,

ICONZ has a polished finish available.

Please PM me if you are interested in pricing.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Think about the up keep required for fully polished uncleared wheels. Had them on the Big Rig and Trailer and are a real pain to keep looking 100%. If DD in good weather your'll be polishing monthly. If let go, blemishes and pitting occurs and sanding is needed.
This depends upon the alloy used. I have bare metal Forgelines, they are 2 1/2 years old and are still just fine with the occasional wash and wipe. They could use a good polishing at the moment but not because of any issues with the metal - just my own laziness. Monthly? Not a chance. And I do not baby the car, either. Just another ad for Forgelines, I guess

Z//
Old 01-18-2011, 12:15 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Please don't confuse aftermarket clearcoated rims with the OEM polished.
The ones on the C5 & C6 are a joke compared to aftermarket. On my C6 Z06 it was so bad I stripped the clear & polished them out & they looked very,very good.

I purchased a set of HRE 547's back in the day & decided to go with the uncoated wheels because I didn't want to lose the shine. They were very labor intensive to keep a good shine to them & I found out later that if you go with a good quality mfg,you will lose very little shine with the clearcoated wheels.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redzone
Please don't confuse aftermarket clearcoated rims with the OEM polished.
The ones on the C5 & C6 are a joke compared to aftermarket. On my C6 Z06 it was so bad I stripped the clear & polished them out & they looked very,very good.

I purchased a set of HRE 547's back in the day & decided to go with the uncoated wheels because I didn't want to lose the shine. They were very labor intensive to keep a good shine to them & I found out later that if you go with a good quality mfg,you will lose very little shine with the clearcoated wheels.
I decided to strip the clear coat off my factory wheels too. They polished better they still weren't' as good as a set of aftermarket wheels.

I ended up ordering a set of custom wheels that didn't work out and tossed on a set of repro wheels to get me through last season. I might even keep them on this season as well. Haven't decided yet. If I get rid of them though I'll move to a CCW 505a or 500 wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports World Challenge wheels

Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
This depends upon the alloy used. I have bare metal Forgelines, they are 2 1/2 years old and are still just fine with the occasional wash and wipe. They could use a good polishing at the moment but not because of any issues with the metal - just my own laziness. Monthly? Not a chance. And I do not baby the car, either. Just another ad for Forgelines, I guess

Z//
Not familiar with Aluminum differences. The Big Rig ran Alcoa Aluminum rims. We also were in and out of Quarry's with different materials getting to the rims. My experience with Aluminum over the last 30 yrs. has always been upkeep for uncoated Aluminum wheels.

The real problem is when contaminates get to the bare metal. If one wants to keep that chrome look a like regular polishing is required. Otherwise the Aluminum tends to turn milkish in color.

Put a polish to the wheels and see how much they have dulled!

Brake dust will eat into the Aluminum also if left on for extended period say over the Winter.

Thinking back to my 65 GTO with Magnesium rims. The dish was polished. They would require polishing every other day at the minimum. One could almost watch them tarnish.

I do not believe aluminum is as varied in its make up as say Stainless Steel can be. All kinds of SS available with different properties for different applications. Could be wrong I am just guessing. I understand Steel better than Aluminum.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Not familiar with Aluminum differences. The Big Rig ran Alcoa Aluminum rims. We also were in and out of Quarry's with different materials getting to the rims. My experience with Aluminum over the last 30 yrs. has always been upkeep for uncoated Aluminum wheels.

The real problem is when contaminates get to the bare metal. If one wants to keep that chrome look a like regular polishing is required. Otherwise the Aluminum tends to turn milkish in color.

Put a polish to the wheels and see how much they have dulled!
Oh, I'm not saying that they are as "chrome like" as the day that I pulled them out of the box But, given how little maintenance I give them, they are still pretty darned smooth (no pitting anywhere) and shiny and they clean right up with a good soap and hot water blast at the coin car wash followed by a microfiber wipe down.

I do intend to pull them off and give them a good going over but that's more to sand/polish out the curb rashes that 2 years and 35k miles have inflicted (another plus of bare metal - I *can* polish them up and remove dings myself.)

And I also grant that as a California car the wheels don't get anywhere near the crap chemical abuse that other environments offer.

I guess my point was that I'm very happy that my own concerns about the very issue that you bring up (when I was deciding what wheels to get) were (in my case anyway) unfounded. And I just assume that the alloy that Forgeline uses plays a role in this since I, too, have seen numerous aluminum wheels over the years that really look like crap and are waaaaaaaay beyond redemption. I really don't do much to maintain mine except to wash and wipe them now and then.

I must admit that when I see those big-rig tankers that are 100% polished (chrome-like) aluminum *all I can see* is 55 gallon drums of metal polish and an army of workers required to maintain the thing

Z//

Note the dullness of the outer edge between about 9 o'clock and 1 o'clock. That's from sanding out curb rash and I haven't finished buffing it back up.

Last edited by Zoxxo; 01-19-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Oh, I'm not saying that they are as "chrome like" as the day that I pulled them out of the box But, given how little maintenance I give them, they are still pretty darned smooth (no pitting anywhere) and shiny and they clean right up with a good soap and hot water blast at the coin car wash followed by a microfiber wipe down.

I do intend to pull them off and give them a good going over but that's more to sand/polish out the curb rashes that 2 years and 35k miles have inflicted (another plus of bare metal - I *can* polish them up and remove dings myself.)

And I also grant that as a California car the wheels don't get anywhere near the crap chemical abuse that other environments offer.

I guess my point was that I'm very happy that my own concerns about the very issue that you bring up (when I was deciding what wheels to get) were (in my case anyway) unfounded. And I just assume that the alloy that Forgeline uses plays a role in this since I, too, have seen numerous aluminum wheels over the years that really look like crap and are waaaaaaaay beyond redemption. I really don't do much to maintain mine except to wash and wipe them now and then.

I must admit that when I see those big-rig tankers that are 100% polished (chrome-like) aluminum *all I can see* is 55 gallon drums of metal polish and an army of workers required to maintain the thing

Z//

Note the dullness of the outer edge between about 9 o'clock and 1 o'clock. That's from sanding out curb rash and I haven't finished buffing it back up.

Sweet looking wheels. Hard to see the dullness, looks good to me.

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports World Challenge wheels