C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM's being cheap and Jury Duty cost me $150

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default GM's being cheap and Jury Duty cost me $150

Just a reminder for everyone - don't lock your keys in the rear hatch area! Or at very least, stick a key in your wallet.

I always read the "locked my keys in the trunk" threads, and thought "why not just leave your keys in your pants pocket? That will never happen to me". My keys are always in my jeans pocket.

So the other day I'm on my second day of Jury Duty (sitting in the stupid jury room, waiting for them to get their act together, and actually call jurors in for selection). As I head into the courthouse, with my computer backpack, phone, coat, wrist brace, watch, and car keys, knowing I have to take everything off, and put them through the xray machine, I decide to put the Corvette keys in the side pocket of my backpack. I didn't want them to fall out of my jacket, or scratch up the phone that's in the one zippable jacket pocket. And I know I'll have to go through the security checkpoint at least twice that day. Just seemed to be the eassiest place to put them.

After sitting in the jury room for 6 hours, with no jury groups being put together, they decide to let everyone go home early. Excited at having a few hours free, I get to the car, throw the backpack in the trunk, and reach for the door handle. I push the button, and then... nothing! Immediately I realize.... Oh ****... Keys are in the backpack.

To make a long story short(ish) - wife had to drop everything, and catch the bus out to Seattle (a 50 minute ride), to bring me the second key. I know she had a lot on her plate, and I felt bad (and stupid), so while I was waiting, I bought her some earrings ($150).

If the courts didn't require you to take everything out of your pockets, or if GM had simply put a sensor into the trunk... Oh well. Now if I can just figure out where to put the spare key. I don't keep a wallet on me, so I'll have to figure something else out.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 01-26-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

$150 could of gotten you a year of OnStar...

Sorry to hear about the keys... It has not happened to me YET...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 AM
WaFp
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

It's almost happened to me twice, but I'm paranoid about locking the keys in the car. The sensors have saved me many times when I have dropped the keys in the cup holder and got out to pump gas. Glad things worked out in the end, and I'm sure that the wife forgave you

Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry for your problem. I have one key in my wallet and one hidden under the Corvette.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm not following this. How was GM "cheap"? What could they have done differently to solve your "problem"? If they had put in another sensor, some "creative" owner would have found Yet Another place to "lose" their keys outside of sensor range. They gave you an emergency key backup, and OnStar backup backup. There's a limit to owner-proofing.

Last edited by Gannet; 01-26-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OnStar!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 AM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Not to be a smarta#@, but how did you get in the trunk to put the pack in if you didn't use the FOB or a key? Just wondering as mine requires one or the other to access the hatch.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
Not to be a smarta#@, but how did you get in the trunk to put the pack in if you didn't use the FOB or a key? Just wondering as mine requires one or the other to access the hatch.
If you walk up behind the car with the FOB on you, it will open because it knows you have the FOB with you.

Actually, I agree that they should have sensors able to pick it up in the trunk. I accidently locked mine in the trunk of my CTS once and it did open with them in there. If you think about it, it actually is surprising that it doesn't open with them in the hatch area because they do know you have them just behind the car.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
I am sure he just pressed the rear hatch button above the license plate. With his FOB in his backpack, that button would still have worked.

Do you yourself not press this button to open the hatch?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job on the earrings.. That will go a long when you screw up next time... ask me how I know..
Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,944 Likes on 4,819 Posts

I don't know, I may be missing something but to me if people just treat their FOB like a set of car keys there would be no problems. I keep the FOB in my pocket and that is it, I know without it I am not getting in the car. Too simple??
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I don't know, I may be missing something but to me if people just treat their FOB like a set of car keys there would be no problems. I keep the FOB in my pocket and that is it, I know without it I am not getting in the car. Too simple??
If I have to go thru an airline or building security scanner, I just lay the FOB in the little tray and it goes right back in my front pocket on the other side. Always in my pocket - period.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 902 Likes on 408 Posts

One key hidden under the car and one spare FOB wrapped in tinfoil (it works) hidden in the car. If I get locked out or lose/damage a FOB I can always get in my car and drive away.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Sounds easy, but there is a big difference. With regular keys you have to get them out to open the car. Lots of folks have put keys in their gym bag or brief case - but when they get to the car they have to get them out. With the Corvette system you don't.

Simple advice is easy to give, but it assumes everyone else is like you. I always take my keys out of my pocket on an airplane and put them in my briefcase because it's easy for keys to fall out of your pocket sitting in an airplane seat (I've done it - once!). Guys going to the gym report this problem more than others because they don't want keys in their pocket when working out. Think about it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If the autolock function is too high tech for you why not disable it?

Use the fob to lock and unlock the doors/hatch.

Still too high tech? Have your wife/mother sew a string with a key attached to your mittens.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,944 Likes on 4,819 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Sounds easy, but there is a big difference. With regular keys you have to get them out to open the car. Lots of folks have put keys in their gym bag or brief case - but when they get to the car they have to get them out. With the Corvette system you don't.

Simple advice is easy to give, but it assumes everyone else is like you. I always take my keys out of my pocket on an airplane and put them in my briefcase because it's easy for keys to fall out of your pocket sitting in an airplane seat (I've done it - once!). Guys going to the gym report this problem more than others because they don't want keys in their pocket when working out. Think about it.
I did think about it and I still say if you treat the FOB like a set of car keys you would have no problem.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Dream C-5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannet
I'm not following this. How was GM "cheap"? What could they have done differently to solve your "problem"? If they had put in another sensor, some "creative" owner would have found Yet Another place to "lose" their keys outside of sensor range. They gave you an emergency key backup, and OnStar backup backup. There's a limit to owner-proofing.
Agree 1000 %

Get notified of new replies

To GM's being cheap and Jury Duty cost me $150

Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 134 Likes on 70 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

locked my keys in the trunk 5 times... in the golf bag... one call to ONSTAR and car is open..
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM
lgm118icbm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Have your wife/mother sew a string with a key attached to your mittens.
I hate to laugh from someone's misfortune but thats funny! Just my luck, now I'm going to get locked out today somehow.... karma's a bi*tch.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
G00SEiv
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, I did not know there was a button above the license plate to open the trunk... I always just used the fob or the hatch button in the front...

Quick Reply: GM's being cheap and Jury Duty cost me $150