C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear cover for headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by VET4LES
It's not a good idea. They can cause cracks. The best bet is to polish out the pits. Most auto supply stores have kits for this.
I think, Les, per the ones above, it depends. It may depend on whether the lenses are first cleaned with some type of alchohol (I've read it's not that compatible with the material). My clear bra has been on the car for over 2 years with no issues.

Edit: I didn't see calemaster's post. I do believe GM's recommendation/suggestion. However, I know how difficult it is sometimes to life-cycle materials in a lab, out on the lawn or on a computer.

What we have here is some "space age plastic" (to add a little humor to a serious conversation) that has to work under very high internal heat from the HIDs, ambient temps, minus 30 degree weather, and all the chemicals in the air----forever! Or, at least for as long as we own the cars. That's not easy to do.

So, the best way to determine what is at fault is not to alter the lens at all, except for cleaning. That's GM's take on it. Some coverings MAY work due to a lot of different conditions as RLsebring says above. And some may work for only a short time. Or very short time. Or it could be the plastic lens cover itself.

Whatever it is, I guess if you want to prevent some of the hazards of the road from clouding/pitting the lens cover, WE cover the lens at our cost if something happens beneath the covers we put on. And just so I'm clear on it, for my own sake, I know the cost of a replacement "lens" is very expensive, per unit.

Last edited by AORoads; 02-01-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

My 2005 has a clear film protectant and it has since one month after it rolled off the lot in October of 2004.

Make sure you get a thin film, too thick and it can cause overheating. Make sure whoever does the install knows what they are doing, the wrong surface preparation (too much alcohol, too many solvents) and the lens can develop crazing. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't likely put the film on a new Corvette but I have had great luck in my nearly 30,000 miles with the covers on.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:44 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I know...OLD THREAD, but same subject

Wanting current thoughts on having TINTED PPF (Xpel,3M, Suntek, ??)
applied to my Head Lamps & Fog Lamp Lenses ????
Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I believe if you do a lot of night driving , it may have an affect on the lens when covered with a film.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

I used to polish my lens with a light scratches remover compound and they look like new

Quick Reply: Clear cover for headlights