C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GS with F55

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
How does the life of an F55 shock compare to a regular one?
I've never heard of anyone having an actual failure of a F55 shock or the system. I'm sure it has happened but these systems are pretty bullet-proof. They use systems like this on some military vehicles from the same manufacturer.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
GS was designed as a max performance model that had Z06 looks and performance besides the engine. It also gives you the choice of ordering a removable roof and auto. It wasn't intended to have sedan-like comfort.

Personally not having the F55 would not keep me from getting a GS. I don't think GM is saying the F55 provides less performance but I think they are looking at the GS as a performance model, so if you want bigger brakes, tires, widebody kit and dry sump oil then you are probably not looking for a car that is comfortable in most conditions.
You are a perfect example of how the perception has been created that the F55 is an inferior suspension. And I don't mean that as an insult, but just as an observation based on your comments that assume the F55 is incapable of high performance.
To see the difference, one must make a scientific comparison with no other factors than the shocks. A base model with the F55 vs. a base model with the std. shocks. Same tires, springs, sways, gears, weight, etc. I have yet to read or hear of any comparison that gives the standard shocks any advantage in any catagory of performance. The only known downside to the F55 is the initial cost.

How does the life of an F55 shock compare to a regular one?
That question has been asked often and I have only heard of one failure. The so-called official answer is they are truly lifetime. Considering how they function, they would tend to work at peak performance right to the end.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The F55 suspension appeals to those with the knowlege and intellect to appreciate its virtues. It doesn't appeal much to those that believe good handling means the car has to ride like a buckboard and skitter out of contol around bumpy curves. This may explain why the magnetic suspension is standard on the ZR1 but isn't even offered on the GS.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
This is yet another example of GM marketing getting it wrong. They need to open up the options book. Making some form of F55 available is just another way to get more of their customer's money into GM's bottom line and that is what marketing decision-making is all about.
Ah, don't underestimate GM's marketing folks. They are the masters at incremental carrot dangling. They'll probably offer the F55 in 2011. Then maybe 450 HP in 2012.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
To see the difference, one must make a scientific comparison with no other factors than the shocks. A base model with the F55 vs. a base model with the std. shocks. Same tires, springs, sways, gears, weight, etc. I have yet to read or hear of any comparison that gives the standard shocks any advantage in any catagory of performance. The only known downside to the F55 is the initial cost.
You bring up a great point. I bought the Z51 because of the total package: gear ratios in the MZ6, oil, tranny, and ps coolers, bigger sway bars, stiffer springs and larger brake rotors.

If they were to offer a package with all of that plus the F55 shocks - IMHO - that would be superior to the Z51 as it is now, and I would certainly buy one.

I would not be surprised to see GM add the F55 shocks to the GS before the end of the C6 run.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Ah, don't underestimate GM's marketing folks. They are the masters at incremental carrot dangling. They'll probably offer the F55 in 2011. Then maybe 450 HP in 2012.

Expect HP increase final year of C6.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

That question has been asked often and I have only heard of one failure. The so-called official answer is they are truly lifetime. Considering how they function, they would tend to work at peak performance right to the end.
They would have piston seals just like any other shock, would they not?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by laconiajack
The F55 suspension appeals to those with the knowlege and intellect to appreciate its virtues. It doesn't appeal much to those that believe good handling means the car has to ride like a buckboard and skitter out of contol around bumpy curves. This may explain why the magnetic suspension is standard on the ZR1 but isn't even offered on the GS.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They would have piston seals just like any other shock, would they not?
You bet, and like any other shock they will need to be replaced at some point.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by laconiajack

Dude, get some help. Seriously.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
You bet, and like any other shock they will need to be replaced at some point.
And now that the F55 shock has been out for a while, it appears as if it is robust enough to survive for many miles.

I would definitely buy a Z51 set up / package with the F55 shocks

I suspect it will be more prevalent, if not stock on all C7 versions.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
This is so true...they even sold a bunch of new Corvettes by adding a $12 Bluetooth module...
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You are a perfect example of how the perception has been created that the F55 is an inferior suspension. And I don't mean that as an insult, but just as an observation based on your comments that assume the F55 is incapable of high performance.
Lets remember which suspension went around the Nurburgring the fastest.....
Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the shock itself may last a long time, but the sensors will not, like any electronic gizmo, subject to failure, they are expensive, and your car will limp home
Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Where have I said they are incapable of high performance? On a bumpy road they are superior to non F55 suspensions, on the track a GS or Z51/Z06 suspension would have a slight edge besides the obvious advantage of having a dry sump motor.

I think a lot of people will think the ride in a GS would be a lot better with the F55, which I don't think it would be that much better due to the increased spring rates, sway bar thickness and bigger tires.

I've heard that the ZR1s suspension is great but it is still track oriented to a point. An F55 type suspension is the most modern technology though.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Where have I said they are incapable of high performance? On a bumpy road they are superior to non F55 suspensions, on the track a GS or Z51/Z06 suspension would have a slight edge besides the obvious advantage of having a dry sump motor.

I think a lot of people will think the ride in a GS would be a lot better with the F55, which I don't think it would be that much better due to the increased spring rates, sway bar thickness and bigger tires.

I've heard that the ZR1s suspension is great but it is still track oriented to a point. An F55 type suspension is the most modern technology though.
In order to take advantage of the shocks they actually do use softer springs. The ZR1 has softer springs than the Z06.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
In order to take advantage of the shocks they actually do use softer springs. The ZR1 has softer springs than the Z06.
Higher spring rates are a way of increasing cornering performance on a car with old fashioned conventional shock absorbers; they are not needed with magnetic selective ride control in order to have good handling and yet still have a compliant suspension that provides a decent ride and good control on bumpy curves.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 GS with F55

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the Delphi parts are already "on the shelf" and it's a matter of recalibration for bigger wheels, tires, sways and some other suspension components, then it's foolish for GM not to offer it.

The F55 suspension gives any car dual or even multiple personalities. Personally, I happen to really like it. To take it a step further, why couldn't it have a 3, 4 or 5 way switch with connections to other systems a la Ferrari who puts the dial right on the steering wheel. Imagine putting the system in the firmest setting (5) and it automatically opens the M2W and turns off traction/stability control or some other programmed system. When you return it to (1 or 2) it becomes a quiet, softer cruiser again.
GM seems to have so many good basic ideas but just seems content to wallow in mediocrity with brilliance right at their fingertips. Hopefully a new GM will change this.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
ww1999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2007 that had the F55 suspension as an option. The car had about 28K miles and upon inspection, the driver side, rear shock did indeed have a major leak as the metallic fluid was encrusted on the shock, coming from the top seal. I drove the car for months, and could not feel any defect and the switching back and forth seemed to work OK - no messages on the DIC either. I did some research and apparently failed F55 shocks are more common that I had believed, and as you may know, they are quite expensive units. I was worried about that leak and concerned that a failure could occur causing other unintended consequences. So, I did the conversion and put Bilstiens on for now, as the whole process was cheaper than one replacement F55 shock. I kept all of them and can easily convert back if desired, after buying a replacement. BTW, the Bilstiens are great and for a daily driver, just fine for me.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Impossible. F55 does not fail, and if you think Bilsteins are fine, you're a mindless idiot.

Quick Reply: 2011 GS with F55