C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GS with F55

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Impossible. F55 does not fail, and if you think Bilsteins are fine, you're a mindless idiot.
I modified your post a little - hope you don't mind
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

F55 is a fantastic suspension. Every Corvette owner should drive the Beartooth Pass in WY/MT. I felt more comfortable driving my C6 in tour mode on the Wyoming side because the road was so bumpy and you are on the side/top of a mountain. They may fail someday unlike regular shocks that WILL fail. After 50-60k with regular shocks on most cars the car starts to feel loose.

Many people think the F55 in tour mode will get rid of bumps and say it is not working or try to make it work on a smooth road. It takes out the sharpness of a bump or expansion joints. Just drive down I84 in southwest Idaho. In sport mode I thought my teeth were going to be jarred loose, in tour it was at least tolerable.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
sranger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The F55 package is one of my favorite features on my C6. I would love to see GM open the options up a little. I would love to have a 3Lt GS coup with an LS7, F55, NPP, and dual Roofs...

It would be the perfect Corvette for me....
Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I would consider the GS if F55 was offered. I am a believer in this suspension.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
opua
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that we know F55 is available as on option on all models (std on ZR1). Is this optional F55 the same as the F55 in ZR1?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Put some Bilsteins on the Z06 and it will ride better and handle better as a bonus..

(thats sort of like 'cake and eat it too')
Do the above when the F-55 shocks fail and start to leak when they need to be replaced. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ww1999
I bought a 2007 that had the F55 suspension as an option. The car had about 28K miles and upon inspection, the driver side, rear shock did indeed have a major leak as the metallic fluid was encrusted on the shock, coming from the top seal. I drove the car for months, and could not feel any defect and the switching back and forth seemed to work OK - no messages on the DIC either. I did some research and apparently failed F55 shocks are more common that I had believed, and as you may know, they are quite expensive units. I was worried about that leak and concerned that a failure could occur causing other unintended consequences. So, I did the conversion and put Bilstiens on for now, as the whole process was cheaper than one replacement F55 shock. I kept all of them and can easily convert back if desired, after buying a replacement. BTW, the Bilstiens are great and for a daily driver, just fine for me.
It will cost over $2,400 to have these shocks replaced if they do go out. The car will limit the speed to 85 mph.
The good thing about F-55 is that is it's a safety feature in that it keeps all 4 wheels planted to the ground whereas in the other non F-55 Corvettes they loose contact with road.
Also F-55 option provides a comfortable ride on beat up roads.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6

BTW ZR1 (and thus Z06) F55 Shocks are a different part number (I just looked them up in the electronic part catalog), the rest seem to be the same (this is under 2011 as well).
Lots of GM parts that are the same, but installed in different vehicles sometimes carry different part numbers.

But since we're on the topic, anybody know any definitive differences between "base" and ZR1 F55?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Please do.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

F55 shock prices should go down as more of them are made for more models of Corvette.

Since R&D can be spread out to more units price will decrease.

BTW ZR1 (and thus Z06) F55 Shocks are a different part number (I just looked them up in the electronic part catalog), the rest seem to be the same (this is under 2011 as well).

The even funnier thing is the ZR1\Z06 shocks are $500 a unit as opposed to the Coupe\GS ones which are $1000 a unit.
One would think so that prices would come down as this option becomes more available on other cars like CAD CTS-V as it is logical but when I got an estimate about two months ago that was the price $2,400
Just like when ABS started from Mercedez and now it's standard on all cars that cost less.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the July issue of Car and Driver when the 2011 GS goes on sale late summer it will come with option code F55. In addition models equipped with manual gearboxes will have Goodyear's new F1 Supercar G:2 tires. They drove one at Buttonwillow and report skidpad grip increased by o.o3g and the grip gave way in a more progressive fashion. And the magnetorheological dampers keep body motions more buttoned down.
Of course anyone knowlegeable about modern automotive suspensions knows Magnetic Selective Ride Control is far superior to the current conventional G/S suspension and will be delighted that the 2011 will G/S will finally have a contemporary suspension system.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by laconiajack
According to the July issue of Car and Driver when the 2011 GS goes on sale late summer it will come with option code F55. In addition models equipped with manual gearboxes will have Goodyear's new F1 Supercar G:2 tires. They drove one at Buttonwillow and report skidpad grip increased by o.o3g and the grip gave way in a more progressive fashion. And the magnetorheological dampers keep body motions more buttoned down.
Of course anyone knowlegeable about modern automotive suspensions knows Magnetic Selective Ride Control is far superior to the current conventional G/S suspension and will be delighted that the 2011 will G/S will finally have a contemporary suspension system.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:48 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

F55 is being offered on GS for 2011.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LS WON
It will cost over $2,400 to have these shocks replaced if they do go out. The car will limit the speed to 85 mph.
If one fails, it's not necessary to replace all 4. Just the one, because they work at full capacity until the end, unlike regular shocks that gradually die.

I've driven with a disabled shock over 120 mph at the drags (see below). The DIC indicated a 158 mph limit, but my car's not fast enough to test that limit at the track. It's an '08, so maybe earlier years have different limits.

The even funnier thing is the ZR1\Z06 shocks are $500 a unit as opposed to the Coupe\GS ones which are $1000 a unit.
I had to replace a broken electrical connector for one of my shocks (long story) and the stealership wanted to sell me a whole new shock for $700. A sharp parts guy at another dealer found the connector only for $25. That was 6 months ago, so I suspect I was quoted less than list.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
If one fails, it's not necessary to replace all 4. Just the one, because they work at full capacity until the end, unlike regular shocks that gradually die.

I've driven with a disabled shock over 120 mph at the drags (see below). The DIC indicated a 158 mph limit, but my car's not fast enough to test that limit at the track. It's an '08, so maybe earlier years have different limits.

I had to replace a broken electrical connector for one of my shocks (long story) and the stealership wanted to sell me a whole new shock for $700. A sharp parts guy at another dealer found the connector only for $25. That was 6 months ago, so I suspect I was quoted less than list.
I would go with the dealership with the parts guy that didn't rip you off. Give them your business. I wouldn't give any business to that stealership with $700 shocks They must think this is an American Lamboghini.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LS WON
I would go with the dealership with the parts guy that didn't rip you off. Give them your business. I wouldn't give any business to that stealership with $700 shocks They must think this is an American Lamboghini.
There are professional/knowledgeable parts people and there are order takers. I prefer the former. It's just too bad the service department isn't that good.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

If I lived in a location where the roads were other than third world (those of you that have been here understand what I am talking about) I would love to have a tighter suspension.

But the F55 is well suited to some locations. Still needs the upgraded sway bars but that's an easy mod.

If your roads suck, get the F55.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 GS with F55

Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
F55 is a fantastic suspension. Every Corvette owner should drive the Beartooth Pass in WY/MT. I felt more comfortable driving my C6 in tour mode on the Wyoming side because the road was so bumpy and you are on the side/top of a mountain. They may fail someday unlike regular shocks that WILL fail. After 50-60k with regular shocks on most cars the car starts to feel loose.

Many people think the F55 in tour mode will get rid of bumps and say it is not working or try to make it work on a smooth road. It takes out the sharpness of a bump or expansion joints. Just drive down I84 in southwest Idaho. In sport mode I thought my teeth were going to be jarred loose, in tour it was at least tolerable.
That's a great description. The F55 is not magic, you will still feel the road, but the bad parts are nicely muted. I'll bet another big difference maker would be better tires.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
If I lived in a location where the roads were other than third world (those of you that have been here understand what I am talking about) I would love to have a tighter suspension.

But the F55 is well suited to some locations. Still needs the upgraded sway bars but that's an easy mod.

If your roads suck, get the F55.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JLinNY
That's a great description. The F55 is not magic, you will still feel the road, but the bad parts are nicely muted. I'll bet another big difference maker would be better tires.
Like non runflat tires?

Quick Reply: 2011 GS with F55