C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cold air intake for 08??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of you Vararam supporters need to check yourselves, it doesn't take a foot of water for the vararam to gulp water, try a 3-4 inch deep puddle. Surprised the crap outta me when my former 07 C6 nearly hydrolocked as I'd driven it in rain many times. But this was a VERY heavy severe pop-up thunderstorm I unfortunatly ran into. If I had a filter in the stock location it wouldn't have been a problem but the Vararam scoop drops down another 5-6 inches closer to the road.

I'm sick of people saying hydrolock can't happen. The fact is your chances of hydrolock go up significantly when running a scoop intake such as the Vararam. Last summer on the way to Carlisle a group of vettes lost their motors getting caught in a severe storm.....the intake brands were never revealed, something tells me the cars weren't stock as most of them went back to tuner shops for repair.

Personally after dealing with Vararam BS, seals needing to be reglued, the water ingestion, I'll never run another one again.

If I were to buy something today, it would be the Blue Attack filter which drops into the same location as stock, adds some hp, and is rewashable. Cheap and effective while not increasing the risk of hydrolock.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 AM
GrandSportGirly
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Your dealer won't ask you about a tune, unless you have some sort of drivetrain failure where they'll scan your ecm and upload that info to GM, which will reveal you have a tune. GM requires this on all warranty work now and they'll be the ones denying your warranty at that point. I just bought a new Z06 and signed a doc with my dealer from GM verifying my understanding of this.
Dealer knows the car has a tune, if there WAS a problem with the car it takes a matter of minutes to re-flash the ECM back to factory settings.

Your also wrong with drivetrain failure related to a tune, anything can cause that, not just a tune. People who choose not have a tune on their car are the ones who post mis-information and hate on anyone else that has a tune. Also hate to inform you I was a GM Service Advisor for years and know alot more then what you think about this car.

Why do people get their panties in bunch over mods on a car that is not even theirs? Your not paying for it, so I can only assume some must have a very low self esteem and enjoy taking their hate out on others for what they choose NOT to do to their cars.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrandSportGirly
Dealer knows the car has a tune, if there WAS a problem with the car it takes a matter of minutes to re-flash the ECM back to factory settings.

Your also wrong with drivetrain failure related to a tune, anything can cause that, not just a tune. People who choose not have a tune on their car are the ones who post mis-information and hate on anyone else that has a tune. Also hate to inform you I was a GM Service Advisor for years and know alot more then what you think about this car.

Why do people get their panties in bunch over mods on a car that is not even theirs? Your not paying for it, so I can only assume some must have a very low self esteem and enjoy taking their hate out on others for what they choose NOT to do to their cars.
The reason people take issue is, for instance, comments that you just posted. You now are telling people a tune won't void a warranty, dealers don't care, you were a former service advisor and know a tune won't void warranty.

Well unfortunatly you're totally wrong, as many people have found out, if something major breaks, dealers have voided people's warranty's for tunes quite often. Perhaps when you were an adviser things were different then they are now but GM takes further steps these days to get out of replacing a drivetrain part.

Please don't be naive and toss out misinformation to people. Modding always involves some risks that the owner should be aware of. The modders always will tell you everything is 100% great and fail-proof (till something bad happens)......as a modder myself I like giving out both sides of the story so someone can make a better decision if a mod is worth it to them.

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 02-16-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.
This is a very subjective question. I am very please with my Vararam, although you will see many here trash it.

IMO, plugs and wires will not give you any added performance. Just a waste of money.

A CAI and exhaust system with headers is were you should start. Again, best exhaust is very subjective. I love my Borla Stingers, but are too loud for some.

A custom tune is a good investment if you want bang for the buck.
Good Advice - Did these three mods (Vararam - SLP Cat Back & Diablo/Predator Tune) to my '08 C6-M6 & was very pleased.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportGirly

Are you in junior high? Nobody be hatin' on nobody.

What I posted are the facts that now exist at GM relating to warranty work. The dealers have been instructed by GM to upload the ecm info immediately to verify stock settings in order for warranty work to be approved (drivetrain failure). Whether you can cheat GM by reflashing your stock tune back into the ecm while broke down somewhere is irrelevant (though good luck with that). And once GM is aware of your aftermarket ecm change, your entire 5yr/100k warranty is null and void.

"noenvybu" posted a question on an open forum and I answered it. You apparently don't like my answer, but don't be a child about it.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 02-16-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default The ONLY cold air we sell is the VARARAM!

The ONLY cold air we sell is the VARARAM!

The VARARAM shown here with the CoW prototype MAF ADAPTOR than eventually came to be the part all of you LS3/LS7 owners use...

I wouldn't even think of installing anything else on your car!

Chuck CoW
Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
pomppe
Instructor

I´m very happy with my Lingenfelter high flow air intake system!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM
bpproducts
Melting Slicks

The Vortex V2 system.

http://www.breathlessperformance.com...exV2Rammer.asp

High quality unit Zero seal issues, USA made, Carbon Composite Bridge not plastic. Seals around the shroud so no chance of getting any dust or debris in the engine compartment. Been around for years with no issues. High enough to reduce the chance of water ingestion. No scoop to drop in the water.

Ernie Francis
www.BreathlessPerformance.com
http://www.breathlessperformance.com...exV2Rammer.asp
Attached Images     
Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you install it "incorrectly"? Is there more than one way to install it in a vararam? The parts should only fit "one way" and one way only. The posting's I've seen here where dirt made it's way past the filter had nothing to do with install error, but with failure of the cheap gasket or poor fit around the filter. The vararam might be good for track use, but it's a pos for street duty. Not all will fail, but even a smaller percentage is unacceptable.
Based on this comment you've never had a Vararam. Yet you're criticizing a product that you have no first hand experience with. Absolutely amazing and typical of Vararam critics here on the forum. If you'd had one then you would have kown what he meant about proper installation.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Some of you Vararam supporters need to check yourselves, it doesn't take a foot of water for the vararam to gulp water, try a 3-4 inch deep puddle. Surprised the crap outta me when my former 07 C6 nearly hydrolocked as I'd driven it in rain many times. But this was a VERY heavy severe pop-up thunderstorm I unfortunatly ran into. If I had a filter in the stock location it wouldn't have been a problem but the Vararam scoop drops down another 5-6 inches closer to the road.

I'm sick of people saying hydrolock can't happen. The fact is your chances of hydrolock go up significantly when running a scoop intake such as the Vararam. Last summer on the way to Carlisle a group of vettes lost their motors getting caught in a severe storm.....the intake brands were never revealed, something tells me the cars weren't stock as most of them went back to tuner shops for repair.

Personally after dealing with Vararam BS, seals needing to be reglued, the water ingestion, I'll never run another one again.

If I were to buy something today, it would be the Blue Attack filter which drops into the same location as stock, adds some hp, and is rewashable. Cheap and effective while not increasing the risk of hydrolock.
So what's your beef? Your car "nearly hydrolocked". What does that mean? The puddle was 3-4 in deep. Did you stop and measure the depth? What Vararam BS are you referring to, gluing the seals? Obviously with this CAI you have to be careful driving thru water but you already knew that before you bought it, didn't you? So why bitch about it now?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
Based on this comment you've never had a Vararam. Yet you're criticizing a product that you have no first hand experience with. Absolutely amazing and typical of Vararam critics here on the forum. If you'd had one then you would have kown what he meant about proper installation.
I don't have to own crap to know what crap is. How many threads are there on vararam failure? How about other cai kits? I haven't seen any, just the occasional vararam failure thread. Then the fan boi's come in and blame the owner for "not installing it right". Funny, you never hear that with callaway or lingenfelter, breathless, etc..
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

LS3 OEM Z51 08 INTAKE - 436 HP.
Z06 OEM INTAKE - 505HP
ZR-1 OEM INTAKE- 638 HP.
What more does one need?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by goatts
So what's your beef? Your car "nearly hydrolocked". What does that mean? The puddle was 3-4 in deep. Did you stop and measure the depth? What Vararam BS are you referring to, gluing the seals? Obviously with this CAI you have to be careful driving thru water but you already knew that before you bought it, didn't you? So why bitch about it now?
Means I had water in the intake manifold, soaked on the MAF honeycomb of the LS2, air filter of the vararam soaked with water. Water depth was ankle deep (3-4 inches), I know this cause I shut the car off right away and pushed it out of the puddle and took note of how deep it was.

I'm not bitching, I'm telling a legit expirience. Isn't it awesome to walk on egg shells everytime you take a Vararam equipped car out for a drive in possibly rainy weather?

You even admit people have to be more careful running this intake, so you obviously agree with me the chances of hydrolock are increased substantially. That's all I'm saying buddy, I'm not disputing the track gains, or the colder air it pulls in, just making the point the vararam has drawbacks.

The BS, is dealing with being worried about weather, and regluing seals......again how awesome is it to spend $500 on an intake and they have to "fix" it. Quality has been questionable on the Vararams and evidenced by the number of posts by pissed off vararam users.

If someone never drives in rain, has the patience to check the vararam every so often, it's a good choice i guess. But there are other intakes that are of better quality, give solid hp gains, and sit in the same location as stock filter.....they won't get you the coldest air but you can have some more piece of mind when driving in bad weather.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
GrandSportGirly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
The reason people take issue is, for instance, comments that you just posted. You now are telling people a tune won't void a warranty, dealers don't care, you were a former service advisor and know a tune won't void warranty.

Well unfortunatly you're totally wrong, as many people have found out, if something major breaks, dealers have voided people's warranty's for tunes quite often. Perhaps when you were an adviser things were different then they are now but GM takes further steps these days to get out of replacing a drivetrain part.

Please don't be naive and toss out misinformation to people. Modding always involves some risks that the owner should be aware of. The modders always will tell you everything is 100% great and fail-proof (till something bad happens)......as a modder myself I like giving out both sides of the story so someone can make a better decision if a mod is worth it to them.
Sorry I was an advisor recently and nothing has changed things are still the same. Some dealers are more leanant then others...

I am far from naive and not tossing around any misinformation like most do on here... Trust me I know modding involves risks your preaching to the wrong person about that.

Are you in junior high? Nobody be hatin' on nobody.
Yep I am in junior high and must be the highest paid student there LOL!!! Didn't know Finance Mangers were in junior high, damn when I make it high school I will be a 12376547634846 zillionaire! w00t!

Last edited by GrandSportGirly; 02-16-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
BD2BD
4th Gear

White 08 Vert like your's.......... Callaway Honker & Borla Stingers....GREAT

Quick Reply: Best Cold air intake for 08??