C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Shift Knob - Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Remove Shift **** - Automatic

I need to remove the shift **** on my C6 Coupe auto paddle shift. I pushed the shift boot off the **** and pulled up hard but cannot get it off, Suggestions please. thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check out Talon90's website. A good write up there along with other great info.

http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20A6%20S...20by%20WHT.pdf
The following users liked this post:
TonyFaub (12-29-2018)
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

And here's a little extra tip:

Originally posted by cmonkey713:

After reading and studying the text and pics again in the referenced post I finally figured out what was not working. What the problem was the shift boot is rotating on the retaining ring without the ring actually moving. So I marked the ring with a paint pin, then took a pair of water pump pliers and gently turned the retain ring to the 1:00 position and pulled up with "moderate" force and it popped off. Finally!

Not the end of the story, I found that a "collar" was still attached to the bottom of the shift **** shaft. After studying that I rotated the collar to where it would release and with a pair of needle nose pliers worked it off with no apparent damage to any of the parts.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

thanks for the second tip - I just came to that conclusion that the ring on the boot is turning but was apprehensive about using the pliers - but I have no choice. I will look the retaining ring also.

thanks,

Tom
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

I am getting frustrated. marked the ring or the bottom of the ****, used the pliers (no damage to the boot) and moved it. I guess I cannot tell time (looking at too many digital time read outs) any more.
I felt a snap or click when I moved it but could not get it to come off. Any more suggestions? Anyone in Wichita Falls done this before? thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

This is a print-out from the dealers service computer.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
TonyFaub (12-29-2018)
Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

Frustration is over. Got the shift **** off with the help of a big friend today.

Like the big bad wolf, he huffed and puffed and pulled like h*** and it finally came off - no damage.

thanks for all your advice.

Tom - 07 Monty
Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed out my center console this morning and thank god for this forum and tall the posted instructions. I was prepared, did my homework and was able to swap out the console in less than an hour... This forum is fantastic.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

What are threads for the instructions on removing the center console? I ordered several Italian leather pieces from Jersey at APSIS and will need to remove the center console also. Replacing shift boot and knowb, ebrake and handle, center console arm rest and waterfall.

Next will be the guage cluster. I will post some pics of this and my new full width spoiler.

thanks - Tom - 07 Monty
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

I just got mine back together last night. This has been one of the most frustrating mods that I have done so far.

Another tip that I have when installing the DSV boot and **** is to study the parts and assemble the big and little retaing rings together with the shift **** a couple of times before actually doing it on the car with the shift stick. Also study Tallon 90's instructional post very closely and understand the instructions completely. It is the best available on the web.

When you are ready to put the **** back on make sure the boot is not attached to the retainer ring or the ****, push it down and out of the way.This thing only goes back together one way but pay attention and don't put the **** on back-wards. When the **** slips down on the shift stick make sure it at the 12:00 position and the retainer ring is at 2:00. Then while holding the **** at 12:00 take your water pump pliers and gently turn the retaining ring to 12:00.That should seat the **** assembly. Pull up on the **** just to make sure it is on correctly. Also turn the ignition on and shift into reverse just to make sure the reverse lock-out is working properly. Then pull the boot up ond over the retaining ring and onto the groove in the bottom of the ****.

Step back and admire you work and go have a beer, you have just earned it.

After you have done this successfully once it all makes sense.

Last edited by cmonkey713; 02-25-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 AM
lawnmore
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I just got mine back together last night. This has been one of the most frustrating mods that I have done so far.

Another tip that I have when installing the DSV boot and **** is to study the parts and assemble the big and little retaing rings together with the shift **** a couple of times before actually doing it on the car with the shift stick. Also study Tallon 90's instructional post very closely and understand the instructions completely. It is the best available on the web.

When you are ready to put the **** back on make sure the boot is not attached to the retainer ring or the ****, push it down and out of the way.This thing only goes back together one way but pay attention and don't put the **** on back-wards. When the **** slips down on the shift stick make sure it at the 12:00 position and the retainer ring is at 2:00. Then while holding the **** at 12:00 take your water pump pliers and gently turn the retaining ring to 12:00.That should seat the **** assembly. Pull up on the **** just to make sure it is on correctly. Also turn the ignition on and shift into reverse just to make sure the reverse lock-out is working properly. Then pull the boot up ond over the retaining ring and onto the groove in the bottom of the ****.

Step back and admire you work and go have a beer, you have just earned it.

After you have done this successfully once it all makes sense.
Good info THANKS!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:45 AM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great posts and diagrams, one question, does the silver piece on top of the shift **** come off easily ? does it require the know to be removed ? I was thinking of installing a wired exhaust controller button on that part of the **** know, thought it would be kinda neat to have it there.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by kev1n
great posts and diagrams, one question, does the silver piece on top of the shift **** come off easily ? does it require the know to be removed ? I was thinking of installing a wired exhaust controller button on that part of the **** know, thought it would be kinda neat to have it there.
Yes, it just pops off, no need to remove the ****.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Gear Indicator

Ok, got the shift **** off but am having issues with the shift position indicatior does it just snap off or what. Thanks
Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

I will be taking off the other parts of the center console today - I will let you know what it takes. I am replacing he shift **** & boot, Ebrake handle and boot, center arm rest, waterfall and lower front console passenger side. Replacing all with titanium leather wrapped parts from APSISUSA.com. Jersey has been very helpful and patient as I decide on colors and parts. I will post this evening after I get these parts off - have to send them back as "cores." Still trying to make up my mind on the plastic center conlsole surround, speedo corners and guage cluster - wood laminate, paint titanium or red or wrap with titanium leather or titanium carbon fiber. Car is Monterrey Red with Titanium and I like the light color of the interior. Suggestions? Thanks, Tom
Old 03-20-2010, 05:04 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom's '07 Monty
I will be taking off the other parts of the center console today - I will let you know what it takes. I am replacing he shift **** & boot, Ebrake handle and boot, center arm rest, waterfall and lower front console passenger side. Replacing all with titanium leather wrapped parts from APSISUSA.com. Jersey has been very helpful and patient as I decide on colors and parts. I will post this evening after I get these parts off - have to send them back as "cores." Still trying to make up my mind on the plastic center conlsole surround, speedo corners and guage cluster - wood laminate, paint titanium or red or wrap with titanium leather or titanium carbon fiber. Car is Monterrey Red with Titanium and I like the light color of the interior. Suggestions? Thanks, Tom
I just finished the shift boot, all I did was the shift and ebrake book in matching cashmere leather to match the rest of the interior. I have a victory red with the cashmere interior and now it has matching boots looks good. Post some pics when you are done yours sounds sweet.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:10 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Tom's '07 Monty
It's a matter of personal preference, but I would never put wood laminate in a Corvette. Titanium CF sounds like an interesting idea to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Remove Shift Knob - Automatic

Old 03-20-2010, 05:24 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
It's a matter of personal preference, but I would never put wood laminate in a Corvette. Titanium CF sounds like an interesting idea to me.
Did you say "Wood Laminate"? Noooooooo
Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

Default Removed the Interior Trim Parts Today

It snowed the first day of Spring in Wichita Falls yesterday and it was cold so I got to the interior parts this afternoon. It took about an hour to remove the center console lid, waterfall, upper center console surround and the lower console trim piece on the passenger side. The instructions I took off the forum were pretty good but not complete enough for me. A few lessons learned: Read the instructions a few times before you start. Take your time and push pull gently. You will need: a couple of flat screw drivers and a couple of picks; #7 torx drive, #8, 1/4 drive, #10 deep socket; phillips head screw driver. I already had the automatic shift **** off (see earlier posts, not a job for a weakling). I removed the E-brake boot. Take the console cover off first. Then take off the waterfall (rear base of the center console) - screws towards the rear under the lid and in the front under the tombstone. The passenger side lower console (mates with the lower dash right next to the glove box cover) needs to be pulled down a little, it has two metal clips that just slide out - just pull it down and towards you a little - pull loose about 6 inches - not too hard. The center console wrap around is held in with six metal clips - they come straight out - pull with firm, but steady pressure. For me it was easier to pull all the clips out first and then the emergency flasher connection and then the other wire connectors. I went from side to side trying to get the right angle and put the center console at different angles to get to the wire connectors. Once you have it all out,don't forget to take all of the parts off of each piece. I am looking forward to getting my APSIS leather wrapped parts. Let me know if you want pictures of the parts showing the clips, etc. Next, can some point me to the instructions for removing the guage cluster? Now I want the speedo corners leather wrapped. thanks forum members. Tom
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im gonna try this tonight

Quick Reply: Remove Shift Knob - Automatic