C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:02 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by huls2399
So there is not a viable option for non-nav, non-xm, base model cars? (my car is an 07)
That is correct until Mediatronics releases the new software.

Ray
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just installed and played with my PAL for like 2 minutes... so far i LOVE IT! took about 4 minutes to install... I'll make the cables a bit more hidden this weekend but I even dig the corvette logo on the ipod !
Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
FO112
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool

Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 PM
ssspconcepts
Intermediate

Hey all,

I just purchased a new 2009 Z06 with navigation and I am looking for the best option for an iPod interface. I have seen three options in the forums:

1. PAL (version 2.0)
2. GM LockPick
3. Replacement of stock navigation unit with aftermarket unit

Just curious what everyone here recommends. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by ssspconcepts
Hey all,

I just purchased a new 2009 Z06 with navigation and I am looking for the best option for an iPod interface. I have seen three options in the forums:

1. PAL (version 2.0)
2. GM LockPick
3. Replacement of stock navigation unit with aftermarket unit

Just curious what everyone here recommends. Thanks for the help.
Since you are looking for an iPod interface, here's a website that might help you decide:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

Ray
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ray....Thanks for shipping my new PAL so quickly. Looking forward to seeing the improvements over version 1. I even thought version 1 was outstanding!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by JJC5
Hey Ray....Thanks for shipping my new PAL so quickly. Looking forward to seeing the improvements over version 1. I even thought version 1 was outstanding!
Now that I can finally keep some in stock, I can often ship the same day I get an order. Our mail leaves about 2 pm, so if I get an order before then, I can ship right away.

This weekend, however, my wife and I leave for Oregon to spend Thanksgiving down there with our kids and grandkids. We'll be back around Dec. 1st.

Enjoy your PAL, John,

Ray
Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 AM
GXP25
Advanced

Originally Posted by kawal
Justin,

To my knowledge, GM never was looking for updates on the Nav version PALs. They have used the same software from the beginning. Mediatronics will continue to update the software on the Nav PALs if I request them to and they can fit it into their schedule. Just the other day, I asked them to look at a revised Playing Menu to incorporate a PAUSE button, maybe in place of or in addition to the FF and RW buttons that many people don't use.

You have software version C450A214, which does have the "title bug". I agree it's probably not worth upgrading right now to C450A232 just for that. Maybe if some new features are added, then update.

Regarding Bluetooth, Mediatronics advised that they are sending me some information on the Bluetooth module, but I haven't yet received it. Once I receive it and I have some good information it, I'll post on the forum. I also don't have an ETA or cost on it yet, so there isn't much to report.

Ray
They could get rid of the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons as they already exist as hard buttons on the NAV and on the steering wheel. I actually use "RWD" and "FWD" more than the soft "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons.

Another thing WRT to Direct Mode: I understand that song playback is controlled by the iPod/iPhone. However, there are still soft "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons on the NAV which work. With that said, I don't see why the song titles couldn't be displayed on the HUD since there is still some information being sent to and from the iPod/iPhone.

I completely understand why this wouldn't work in AUX mode.

Here's to hoping the new Bluetooth PAL unit uses the USB protocol instead of serial Rx/Tx.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by GXP25
They could get rid of the "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons as they already exist as hard buttons on the NAV and on the steering wheel. I actually use "RWD" and "FWD" more than the soft "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons.

Another thing WRT to Direct Mode: I understand that song playback is controlled by the iPod/iPhone. However, there are still soft "PREV" and "NEXT" buttons on the NAV which work. With that said, I don't see why the song titles couldn't be displayed on the HUD since there is still some information being sent to and from the iPod/iPhone.

I completely understand why this wouldn't work in AUX mode.

Here's to hoping the new Bluetooth PAL unit uses the USB protocol instead of serial Rx/Tx.
Mediatronics is working on some revised software that may allow eliminating the FF and RW buttons and substitute a PAUSE and RESUME. I'm not sure of the details yet, but hopefully this may soon be available as well as the final non-Nav software.

When I get back home this week, I'll be checking in with them as they owe me a lot of answers to a lot of questions.

I have about eight PAL kit orders to ship out as soon as I get home as well.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 11-28-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Fangarr
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pause and Resume would be wonderful!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 AM
tgcig
Advanced

hey ray any news on the blue tooth for the 2008 thanks tim MASH THE GAS
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by tgcig
Yes, but I'm waiting on news for the latest Nav and non-Nav software updates, which I hope to get this week. Then I can cover everything in one longer thread.

It sounds like the Bluetooth will be nice, and compatible with all PALs. But although it is working on the bench, there are a number of physical issues to resolve, especially with microphones and their installation and location. I was promised some microphones very soon so I would have input into how they are installed in the Corvette and how they will be wired into the Bluetooth module, which will plug into the PAL module and create additional ports. The emphasis will be on performance, to separate it from the mediocre aftermarket Bluetooth components.

I hope to have the microphone information resolved before my wife and I leave for Hawaii in early January. We'll be gone until February 10th, so we hope this preliminary work can be complete in December.

Ray
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcig
Yes, I am interested in this as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
tgcig
Advanced

Originally Posted by kawal
Yes, but I'm waiting on news for the latest Nav and non-Nav software updates, which I hope to get this week. Then I can cover everything in one longer thread.

It sounds like the Bluetooth will be nice, and compatible with all PALs. But although it is working on the bench, there are a number of physical issues to resolve, especially with microphones and their installation and location. I was promised some microphones very soon so I would have input into how they are installed in the Corvette and how they will be wired into the Bluetooth module, which will plug into the PAL module and create additional ports. The emphasis will be on performance, to separate it from the mediocre aftermarket Bluetooth components.

I hope to have the microphone information resolved before my wife and I leave for Hawaii in early January. We'll be gone until February 10th, so we hope this preliminary work can be complete in December.

Ray
that sounds cool ill check in later thanks ray mash the gas
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
rconstantine
Cruising

Anyone else experience 'tape hiss'? Remember back in the day of cassette tapes when there was a hiss/kiss sound in the background all of the time, but was especially noticable during quiet parts and between songs? Well, my PAL playback has that characteristic. I know it isn't the iPod since it a) sounds fine directly listened to and b) sounded fine using the aftermarket iPod adapter the previous owner had put in my car.

Any ideas how to eliminate this seriously annoying sound? In my case it sounds more like a kissy sound kids would make.

I've checked for loose cables, but none seem loose.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by rconstantine
Anyone else experience 'tape hiss'? Remember back in the day of cassette tapes when there was a hiss/kiss sound in the background all of the time, but was especially noticable during quiet parts and between songs? Well, my PAL playback has that characteristic. I know it isn't the iPod since it a) sounds fine directly listened to and b) sounded fine using the aftermarket iPod adapter the previous owner had put in my car.

Any ideas how to eliminate this seriously annoying sound? In my case it sounds more like a kissy sound kids would make.

I've checked for loose cables, but none seem loose.
Are you using the iPod extension cable, Ryan? If so, try it without it and see what happens.

Ray
Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
rconstantine
Cruising

Hi Ray,

Nope, no extension cable. Could it have something to do with XM? I don't know whether it was ever active, but could it be stuck on a weird channel that isn't completely masked by the PAL? Or should the PAL completely override the output of the XM radio? The noise changes in pitch between high and very high frequencies but doesn't seem to be just one pure frequency. When listening to pop or rock, it isn't as noticeable due to the overall louder average sound, but classical and jazz just sound terrible. The noise is, of course, most pronounced between songs. If I can find some way to record it, I'll post it here or email it to you. I wonder if the manufacturer came across this at all in their testing.

Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by rconstantine
Hi Ray,

Nope, no extension cable. Could it have something to do with XM? I don't know whether it was ever active, but could it be stuck on a weird channel that isn't completely masked by the PAL? Or should the PAL completely override the output of the XM radio? The noise changes in pitch between high and very high frequencies but doesn't seem to be just one pure frequency. When listening to pop or rock, it isn't as noticeable due to the overall louder average sound, but classical and jazz just sound terrible. The noise is, of course, most pronounced between songs. If I can find some way to record it, I'll post it here or email it to you. I wonder if the manufacturer came across this at all in their testing.

Ryan
Ryan,

I have not heard of this issue before, nor have I experienced it myself. You should not hear any background noise with the PAL.

Do you have any buddies with a PAL? You could swap modules and see if that makes a difference. If it gets worse, email me and we can see about replacing the PAL module and/or the iPod cable. Once in a great while, I'll find a defective iPod cable will cause strange problems.

Ray
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 PM
jacques
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I have two 1.0 PALs that exhibit background hiss when I turn up the volume to hear the songs. One is installed in and '06 and the other in an '08. They were installed before Ray fully developed his cables.

I attributed the noise I hear to the low output level from the PAL in comparison to the XM module. I have tried adjusting the settings on the iPods to try and maximize their output levels but did not detect any noticeable improvement.

I'm not happy but living with it until I get updated modules.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by jacques
I have two 1.0 PALs that exhibit background hiss when I turn up the volume to hear the songs. One is installed in and '06 and the other in an '08. They were installed before Ray fully developed his cables.

I attributed the noise I hear to the low output level from the PAL in comparison to the XM module. I have tried adjusting the settings on the iPods to try and maximize their output levels but did not detect any noticeable improvement.

I'm not happy but living with it until I get updated modules.
I wonder if what you and Ryan are experiencing is the relatively low volume of the XM input to the Nav radio. Please see Question 13 on the FAQ website:

http://www.kawal.net/PALFAQs.htm

On some Nav radios, the internal balance of the XM input is lower than that of the CD, FM, and AM sound levels. When listening to XM (or PAL) you therefore have to compensate for the low input level by turning up the volume. On most Nav radios, this is often 1 click, but sometimes as much as 3 clicks on the volume control.

But this should be the same problem for XM as it is for the PAL - that is, lower relative volume. The PAL module outputs full volume in the PAL mode (and Direct Mode in the Version 2 PALs - Aux In Mode in the Version 2 PALs have a variable input), so it should not be noticeably different from XM. But if XM is also low, you may have to turn up the volume enough to introduce background noise. Perhaps this is what you are hearing?

Ray

Quick Reply: FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners