C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette reliability - better stats

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 Corvette reliability - better stats

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We recently updated reliability stats for the Corvette, based on owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 62, about average

2007: 18, better than average

2006: 36, better than average

The sample sizes for the 2006 and 2007 are below the minimum for a full result, so these are asterisked and only visible to members on the site itself.

Largest sample size for the 2008, so that number is the most precise.

We'll have updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Chevrolet Corvette reliability comparisons
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

My '07 is better than average!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Pooped!

My 06 C6 A6 F55 NAV would totally exhaust me if I had to complete ratings and surveys with over thirteen (13) warranty problems over 33 months and 34K miles. It drained me and only the last one (1) year have I finally enjoyed driving the car.

UPDATE: About 4/2/10: Well this is hard to believe, it couldn't last long. I just lost (came up missing) the bushing between the leaf spring and the rear "A" suspension wishbone completely disappeared, dealer has to order WHOLE leaf spring assembly to get this bushing, only way GM parts handles it. Service tehnician with 33 years of Corvette experience said that he has never seen this before. Just my luck as usual.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 04-12-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Edward_c6
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I signed up to post my '08 stats. I've only had 1 very small issue soon after I drove it off the lot 2yrs ago. Of course my wife took it out for a drive when the problem occured and I wasn't with her. I told her 'the other woman' doesn't like the way she drives
Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We recently updated reliability stats for the Corvette, based on owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 62, about average

2007: 18, better than average

2006: 36, better than average

The sample sizes for the 2006 and 2007 are below the minimum for a full result, so these are asterisked and only visible to members on the site itself.

Largest sample size for the 2008, so that number is the most precise.

We'll have updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

What happened to 2005? There is certainly history on this 4 - 5 year old by now. I have had no reliability problems on mine at 34,300+ miles. Always starts and get me to where I want to go.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0 that is Zero for you Toyota fans on my 09 w/12000 miles.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS WON
What happened to 2005? There is certainly history on this 4 - 5 year old by now. I have had no reliability problems on mine at 34,300+ miles. Always starts and get me to where I want to go.
Not enough participants yet for the 2005, 2009, and 2010. Or the others for that matter. But we didn't have stats for any year until recently. In another quarter or two I hope to have more precise stats for all model years.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

C6 Corvette reliability - better stats I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates.
Admirable undertaking. Hope it succeeds. The information would probably be useful to many here.

However, "better stats" means better than what or who?

"More up-to-date" than who or what?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Not enough participants yet for the 2005, 2009, and 2010. Or the others for that matter. But we didn't have stats for any year until recently. In another quarter or two I hope to have more precise stats for all model years.
I have been getting surveys from JD powers a few times over the years.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimTN
Admirable undertaking. Hope it succeeds. The information would probably be useful to many here.

However, "better stats" means better than what or who?

"More up-to-date" than who or what?
As noted, these stats include data through the end of 2009.

Not well known: although Consumer Reports just published their Annual Auto Issue, the reliability information in this "new" issue is still based on a survey that went out in April 2009, nearly a year ago. For obvious reasons, they don't clearly post the age of their data with their stats.

When we update results again in May and August, they'll still be using that old data. With the August results we'll be about 14 months ahead of them.

J.D. Power has a little less lag in releasing their results, but also updates only once a year. At this point their data are also about a year old.

Think of it this way: do you want to know how reliable a car was a year ago, when it was a year younger, or how reliable it has been recently?

Other ways I do things differently:

--post the actual repair frequencies, and not just dots; dots tend to make differences seem larger than they actually are

--post every reported repair, so anyone interested in the details behind the stats can have them

--additional stats, when the sample sizes are large enough (not in this case yet) for the percentage of cars with no repair trips in the past year and those with 3 or more
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

As noted, these stats include data through the end of 2009.

Not well known: although Consumer Reports just published their Annual Auto Issue, the reliability information in this "new" issue is still based on a survey that went out in April 2009, nearly a year ago. For obvious reasons, they don't clearly post the age of their data with their stats.

When we update results again in May and August, they'll still be using that old data. With the August results we'll be about 14 months ahead of them.

J.D. Power has a little less lag in releasing their results, but also updates only once a year. At this point their data are also about a year old.

Think of it this way: do you want to know how reliable a car was a year ago, when it was a year younger, or how reliable it has been recently?

Other ways I do things differently:

--post the actual repair frequencies, and not just dots; dots tend to make differences seem larger than they actually are

--post every reported repair, so anyone interested in the details behind the stats can have them

--additional stats, when the sample sizes are large enough (not in this case yet) for the percentage of cars with no repair trips in the past year and those with 3 or more
Consumer Reports always put down the newest vehicle where it is just too new too really tell. As the car ages is a good measure and of course their ratings change on the same car as time goes by. CR has always dogged the Corvette more than 25 + years as far as I know.
Recently they have recommended a few American cars like Mustang and Buick.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:14 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS WON
Consumer Reports always put down the newest vehicle where it is just too new too really tell. As the car ages is a good measure and of course their ratings change on the same car as time goes by. CR has always dogged the Corvette more than 25 + years as far as I know.
Recently they have recommended a few American cars like Mustang and Buick.
I'll report on very new vehicles, such as the 2010 Camaro, but also post the average odometer reading so it's clear how new these cars are.

The thing that can be VERY unclear with CR is that people see 2009s in the Auto Issue and assume that CR has a year of information on these cars, since we're already well into the 2010 model year.

In reality, since the survey was back in April 2009 they currently have just a few months of data on the average 2009 car in their results. And they will post a result even if the car only reached dealer lots the very month of the survey.

Last edited by mkaresh; 03-09-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
mkaresh
Advanced

Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants in mid-April. More participants remain needed to fully cover all model years.

Car reliability research
Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has been great, had to get the diff fluid redone under TSB, but that's been it.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vettin08
Mine has been great, had to get the diff fluid redone under TSB, but that's been it.
Just did mine at 34,500 as preventative maintenance.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I am participating in your surveys for my 3 cars. However, I would like to know in a general sense how the various rating services get different results for cars that are built on the same assembly line, with identical subassemblies supplied by the same vendors and the only true difference between them is the brand name on the vehicle.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette reliability - better stats

Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Not again!

Well, I just updated my post #3 with missing bushing. Just my luck!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 AM
mkaresh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I am participating in your surveys for my 3 cars. However, I would like to know in a general sense how the various rating services get different results for cars that are built on the same assembly line, with identical subassemblies supplied by the same vendors and the only true difference between them is the brand name on the vehicle.

Bill
Sorry for the delayed response--just saw this question.

I pool responses for such vehicles, so this doesn't happen with my results. CR sometimes does the same, but other times does not. I wrote a piece wondering why anomalies happen, here:

Anomalies within Consumer Reports' results

The same also happens with J.D. Power. I suppose the short answer is that, even with large sample sizes, unexplained variation gets into the data.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
mkaresh
Advanced

We have updated reliability stats for the Corvette, based on owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 65, about average

2007: 15, better than average

2006: 25, better than average

2005: 27, better than average

The sample sizes for the 2005, 2006, and 2007 are below the minimum for a full result, so these are asterisked and only visible to members on the site itself.

Largest sample size for the 2008, so that number is the most precise. It is not clear if owners report more repairs for the 2008 because the results for all three earlier years are inaccurate, because the 2008 result is inaccurate, or because some engineering tweak for 2008 has been the source of some problems.

We'll have updates in August and November. With more participants, we could clear this up and cover all model years.

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette reliability - better stats