C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is your Corvette still financed or free and clear?
My C6 is still financed
31.84%
My Corvette is owned free and clear
68.16%
Voters: 559. You may not vote on this poll

Poll- % of vettes still financed vs clear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:29 AM
GO4URS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12

There are so many facets of this debate. In the end, rather you agree with how the vette was purchased or not, we all got what we wanted....right?!

Monique
Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

%0 is the way to go!If you have the cash,make a couple of payments,and,then pay off the loan.Great for your credit report.Otherwise go the full term.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogvette
Always pay cash for toys!!

LOL, mine's not a "toy", it's a daily beater. Cheap money with way more than enough to cover the note in the bank. I like having cash around.

RMX
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

One of my hard and fast rules - never borrow any money you don't have to. Personally I think that once you get basic transportation it is stupid to borrow money just to get something better. Fresh out of college and looking at riding a motorcycle to work I did borrow money to buy my first car. Paid it off in 4 months. That was over 40 years ago and I've never borrowed a penny for a car since. By following this rule I've always had enough cash to buy any car I want.

Do I borrow money? Yes. I borrow to invest in the stock market so that I can buy when the market is down and don't have to sell at a low price. I borrow when a good land investment presents itself so that again I don't have to sell stock at bargain prices. But I pay off those loans as soon as possible. If I'm not bringing in more value on the investment than the interest is costing, borrowing would be stupid. So, how much is your investment in a car bringing in?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
Most folks do not buy cars like this unless they actually have some money in the bank
I don't think you understand the American public very well if you really believe that. I'd bet lot's of money that more than 50% of Corvette owners don't have near enough cash in the bank to pay cash for a Corvette even if they used all of their savings. Further, I'll bet a pretty good percent have credit card debt they don't pay off every month.

Ask someone who is in the mortgage business and looks at applications every day. The fact they own a Corvette, BMW, Lexus etc only changes the odds a little.

I don't for second believe this thread is indicative of the real world numbers.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is not really a personal question...

Originally Posted by blkvet6
what business is it of yours? I don't understand.
I posted it as a poll, which means anyone could respond anonymously.

I've been looking at daily economic data every day for the last 30 years pertaining to the economy, i.e.macro economic stats. So, since my framework is to view everything in quantitative metrics, it would be inconsistent if I weren't interested in Corvette ownership.

A smaller subsection, granted, but I could tell you for instance, that out of 100% of US housing, 11% are owned 100%, and 89% are financed, and with the drop in housing prices, the average net equity in that 89% amounted to close to zero, because while some people have net equity, others are upside down in their mortgages. How much assets- cars, corvettes, etc- give you an idea of the financial health of the sector.

What this poll tells me, is that C6 owners are in relatively good shape in terms of financing. It also tells me that Corvettes will generally hold their value because of this, even though you will find at the margin that desparate seller, who because of a lost job, that has to sell if they lose their job. Since price is determined by the marginal seller (not the bulk of the people who aren't buying or selling their cars, it effects all Corvette values.

So, in that sense, it is not my business, it is everyone's business.

Also, a number of people have posted what kind of discounts they have gotten from dealers, i.e. 20% off sticker, which is useful information when going in and bargaining with a dealer, especially when car sales are tight.

Don't you find that interesting?

I'd have been just as satisfied is people only answered the poll, so there is nothing personal about it. It is simply macro-statistics. Not only that, but there was an interesting debate on 0% financing vs. paying cash.

If you look at this thing defensively, you lose the fun in the dialogue, which a lot of us seem to be definitely having.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chgoblue
If you look at this thing defensively, you lose the fun in the dialogue, which a lot of us seem to be definitely having.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 AM
BobGomez
Instructor

I'm 28, learning everything the hard way.

Be nice if some of you financial guru's out there would let us younger fools know what not to do. ;-)

I'm free and clear, but I had to bust my rear end to get there on my 2006 C6.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
srpbaer
Pro

Originally Posted by jschindler
I don't think you understand the American public very well if you really believe that. I'd bet lot's of money that more than 50% of Corvette owners don't have near enough cash in the bank to pay cash for a Corvette even if they used all of their savings. Further, I'll bet a pretty good percent have credit card debt they don't pay off every month.

Ask someone who is in the mortgage business and looks at applications every day. The fact they own a Corvette, BMW, Lexus etc only changes the odds a little.

I don't for second believe this thread is indicative of the real world numbers.
You just very nicely stated what I was trying to get these folks to see..I live in a very nice area with most neighbors driving the very expensive cars (makes my new Escalade look cheap)..That fact does not for one minute make me think they are debt free and have cash in the bank...I belong to several Vette clubs and I can assure you 75% did not pay cash...I still smell that aroma!!!!

Last edited by srpbaer; 03-15-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:45 AM
srpbaer
Pro

Originally Posted by Raazor
Anyone financing a new Vette probably can't afford one.

When you get 0% financing, you give up the cash discount.

When you buy new, you get screwed on the depreciation.

Quit defending yourselves. It's a losing battle.

If you really want to learn how to maximize your money when it come to purchasing a vehicle, give me a shout.
I really don't mean to offend you but...you are full of that stuff I am smelling!!!!..I am not one to state my net worth on a public forum but I am very confortable stating to you my Vette was a very minor purchase in the big picture...Actually it is the cheapest purchase I have made in 10 years...I own a boat that costs 4 times the price of this car...financed that too!!!! (paid it off early) Can't live on a lake and not have a fast boat..check out the avatar)....but according to you I could not afford it....I have already said more than I should but wil end with two observations...you mention depreciation in your post above..never concern yourself with that as a car is not an investment...and 2...I would be careful telling folks what they can afford and what they can't..you really have no idea who you may be addressing with such a silly, uninformed statement....

Last edited by srpbaer; 03-15-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by srpbaer
You just very nicely stated what I was trying to get these folks to see..I live in a very nice area with most neighbors driving the very expensive cars...That fact does not for one minute make me think they are debt free and have cash in the bank...I belong to several Vette clubs and I can assure you 75% did not pay cash...I still smell that aroma!!!!
I was into offshore performance boats for a while. We saw the same thing there. You'd think that people with $100K plus boats were loaded with money. Many either were not, or it was "fast" money. It came fast and it went away fast.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't finance cars
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM
srpbaer
Pro

Originally Posted by jschindler
I was into offshore performance boats for a while. We saw the same thing there. You'd think that people with $100K plus boats were loaded with money. Many either were not, or it was "fast" money. It came fast and it went away fast.
You are so correct on that...some of my so called "buddies" run the 40ft with thripple 700 cu in and they are quite impressive...if you really like it just wait around about a year or less and you can buy it from the bank..hahahah..I have a 36 Baja by Fountain with twin 600cu in (blue motors) and believe me it is all I need..They are Maggie equipped so you know two things...big time octane and lots of it...Did I mention base premium on the lake sells for $4.89 a gallon (holds 140 gal) and then you mix it with racing fuel just so you can cruise the lake !!!!....Thank God I live on the lake or it would be even worse having to tow the thing back and forth to the lake!!!...But remember...I can't afford my Vette!!!!!see ya...sorry for the hi-jacking

Last edited by srpbaer; 03-15-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM
RussellZ
Burning Brakes

Clear. I never borrow money (except my mortgage). I'm the only one of my friends who is completely debt free and I have been for over 15 years. If feels good.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
GO4URS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by srpbaer
I really don't mean to offend you but...you are full of that stuff I am smelling!!!!..I am not one to state my net worth on a public forum but I am very confortable stating to you my Vette was a very minor purchase in the big picture...Actually it is the cheapest purchase I have made in 10 years...I own a boat that costs 4 times the price of this car...financed that too!!!! (paid it off early) Can't live on a lake and not have a fast boat..check out the avatar)....but according to you I could not afford it....I have already said more than I should but wil end with two observations...you mention depreciation in your post above..never concern yourself with that as a car is not an investment...and 2...I would be careful telling folks what they can afford and what they can't..you really have no idea who you may be addressing with such a silly, uninformed statement....
We have been on the same page(no pun intended) this entire thread!!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
One of my hard and fast rules - never borrow any money you don't have to. Personally I think that once you get basic transportation it is stupid to borrow money just to get something better. Fresh out of college and looking at riding a motorcycle to work I did borrow money to buy my first car. Paid it off in 4 months. That was over 40 years ago and I've never borrowed a penny for a car since. By following this rule I've always had enough cash to buy any car I want.

Do I borrow money? Yes. I borrow to invest in the stock market so that I can buy when the market is down and don't have to sell at a low price. I borrow when a good land investment presents itself so that again I don't have to sell stock at bargain prices. But I pay off those loans as soon as possible. If I'm not bringing in more value on the investment than the interest is costing, borrowing would be stupid. So, how much is your investment in a car bringing in?
We are cut from the same cloth, brother
Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
So, how much is your investment in a car bringing in?
I never have bought a Corvette as a financial investment.....for me, theyre an investment in the quality of my life

Get notified of new replies

To Poll- % of vettes still financed vs clear.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM
CopRodder
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

was planning on cash but when i was offered the 0% plus the dealer still worked in that 4000 09 leftover i took advantage kept 20 back to do some mods
Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
I never have bought a Corvette as a financial investment.....for me, theyre an investment in the quality of my life
I don't mean this as a negative to anyone on this thread or in general, but you have the right idea. Some people seem to think that its a contest to see how much money they can have in the bank when they die.

I believe in a balance of properties. I've done a fair amount of work trying to figure out how much I'll need to retire comfortably and how to get there. After I take care of that I spend money on cars and motorcycles. The rest I just **** away.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Drove it home one afternoon; took the check back the next morning and had my title in three weeks.

Quick Reply: Poll- % of vettes still financed vs clear.