C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! STOP my rear view from shaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM
REODAWG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pins needed

Hi jim i need these pins also let me know the charge
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Scotts vet
Instructor

Default rear view mirror shake

Mine shook when i bought it also and I took the mirror off and put a small drop of super glue on the back and put it back on and it stopped.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
MCJett
Heel & Toe

I would like to get a set of pins also. Willing to pay whatever you want
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by pfic06
I had the same issue with my inside mirror being loose. The fix I came up with was to take 3 5/64" drill bits. snap the shank off at 1" and grind to fit. The bits are hardened steel, so won't bend like the factory ones.
This is good to know. I just straightened out the original pins, themn put a shim in as well, and mine has been shake free for 2 years.
If it ever happens again, I'll do the drill bits to replace the pins.

thanks for the tip
The following users liked this post:
rpiechowski (08-21-2023)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I had my windshield replaced last month and my mirror has been shaking since. After you have done the procedure once, you probably could do it again in 5 min. My old pins were coated with black paint and bent slightly from one removal. Not very good quality steel. Greg was very kind to send me a new set of pins.

The mirror twists off quite easy with 1/4 turn clockwise. Then the wiring harness unplugs by depressing a clip on the bottom of the plug. You may have to use a small screw driver to help the plug loosen. To remove the three screws holding the pin retainer, you need a Torx T8 bit. I read somewhere else on the forum that the screws in the back of the mirror were T6, but mine are Torx T8. The pins fit into small slots in the back of the retainer. Greg says to use a small amount of lube on the pins and socket to make it easier to twist the mirror back on.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:51 PM
dub squared
Instructor

I replaced my windshield three weeks ago and replaced the pins at that time. While the shop had the mirror off, I popped out the old bent ones and replaced with the ones I got from the person mentioned on this forum. Been night and day since. Not a bit of vibration.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 PM
ladycaptain
3rd Gear

how to repair the loose ring inside the rear view mirror
Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454
He is sending me a set as well. Members like Greg are what makes this Forum great. Thanks Greg!
This place is very cool
Old 06-15-2013, 08:50 PM
ladycaptain
3rd Gear

How to put Ring over Swivel Ball Socket for Inside Rearview Mirror
Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 PM
dsmarket@me.com
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bassspring
I had the same problem with mine took the pins out and bent them back straight and it worked for about 2 months then replaced the pins with a better material and 2 years later no problem, if you will send me your address (PM) I will send you some of the replacement pins I used to try.
Please let me if u have any more to sell. This is driving me crazy.

Last edited by dsmarket@me.com; 11-18-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmarket@me.com
Please let me if u have any more to sell. This is driving me crazy.
Ditto. Wife '07 mirror shakes badly and is very annoying. She ould love to get new pins.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 AM
lfalgi
6th Gear

Default C6 Rearview mirror shake

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Ditto. Wife '07 mirror shakes badly and is very annoying. She ould love to get new pins.
Recently bought an 07 C6 with a shaking interior rearview mirror. Shook so badly that it was useless. I noticed that the mount was firmly attached to the windshield, but the mirror was loose on the mount. I found an easy solution at a local office supply store. A standard "Paper Mate Pink Pearl" eraser could be wedged between the mount and the mirror. It fit perfectly and you can't see it from inside the car. Absolutely NO MORE mirror shake! It's been in place for more than 6 months.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lfalgi
Recently bought an 07 C6 with a shaking interior rearview mirror. Shook so badly that it was useless. I noticed that the mount was firmly attached to the windshield, but the mirror was loose on the mount. I found an easy solution at a local office supply store. A standard "Paper Mate Pink Pearl" eraser could be wedged between the mount and the mirror. It fit perfectly and you can't see it from inside the car. Absolutely NO MORE mirror shake! It's been in place for more than 6 months.
Nice. I wound up trading hers for a 2013 427 convertible collector edition on the 9th.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM
White Ice
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I repaired mine long time ago. got 3 drill bits [dont remember size but i can mesure if needed] grind off drill part and use the body as your new pins. works like new. this is what it looks like with bent pins.
The following users liked this post:
rpiechowski (08-21-2023)
Old 02-28-2016, 02:01 PM
audioett
1st Gear

Default C6 rearview mirror is loose canyou help?

How do I get ahold of the brass springs for my 2006 corvette rear view mirror?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 PM
White Ice
Intermediate

Default mirror

read post number 34.Thats how i fixed mine.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:58 PM
NewToC6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fastwhite05
I replaced the 3 pins with the one's from bassspring. Worked great. After installing the mirror, i was adjusting and a small piece of plastic dropped on the console. It was one of the tabs on the back of the mirror that holds the mirror tightly to the adjustment ball. There is a plastic o ring that snaps over the tabs to keep the mirror in adjustment.
Is there any options other than buying a new mirror from the dealer. It is $379.00. The mirror only has self dimming and the courtesy lights, no OnStar.
I had the same problem. Took the mirror off using the 1/4 turn clockwise. I unsnapped the ball from the joint. I used a piece of Emory cloth grit side toward the ball. Snap the ball back into place by pushing down on the ball back into the socket. The grit from the Emory will keep the mirror from moving and still allow you to adjust it. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help! STOP my rear view from shaking

Old 08-14-2016, 03:41 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Bits

Originally Posted by pfic06
I had the same issue with my inside mirror being loose. The fix I came up with was to take 3 5/64" drill bits. snap the shank off at 1" and grind to fit. The bits are hardened steel, so won't bend like the factory ones.
I thought that I would try your fix with the bits. Wouldn't you know I only had 3 bits and I cut them to length and put them in the mirror bracket. Damm if one of the bits did not break! I then put one of the old pins in and it is now not loose!

This is one crazy way to mount a mirror!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 PM
BigDs_C6
Burning Brakes

I know this is an old thread, but there's a lot of good info in it for folks dealing with inside rear view mirror issues!

The 5/64" drill bit (x3) trick worked great for the mirror to windshield slop mine had going on since having the windshield replaced last weekend... and the emory cloth with the rough side facing the ball worked at curing the loose ball mount issue I've had since I bought the car.

It's like a new mirror!

Gotta love this forum!

D

Last edited by BigDs_C6; 09-08-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 AM
Engelwood39
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bassspring
I had the same problem with mine took the pins out and bent them back straight and it worked for about 2 months then replaced the pins with a better material and 2 years later no problem, if you will send me your address (PM) I will send you some of the replacement pins I used to try.
I just bought my first Corvette 2 days ago (a 2005 C6) and it had the apparently common floppy rear-view mirror. I can already tell this forum is going to be a saving grace! I tried to message Bassspring but the system said his inbox was full. One of his repair kits would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone have or know a way to be in touch with Mr. Bassspring?

Quick Reply: Please help! STOP my rear view from shaking