C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you happy with your window tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM
terryzx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you happy with your window tint?

Just got a new Black on Black GS and am getting it tinted next week. Going to do the front windshield in a transparent film that blocks UV. And the rest of it in 15%

I was going to do 30% but tested out a piece to look through and didn't think it was all that dark so decided on 15%

Doing this all in Llumar as from what I have researched it seems to be the best.

So what I am wondering is for those who have tint....are you happy with it and do you feel that you chose the right darkness to suit your needs?

Would you rather it be darker or lighter or is it just right?

Thanx In Advance!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Vinnie T
Pro

I just have the rear window done since tinting the side can get you in hot water here. You can usually get away with a 50% tint on the sides most of the time though. You're the first I've heard talk about a transparent tint for the front, so I'm not familiar with it. Not sure I'd want that for fear of scratches if bumped or maybe hazing when wiping down the film that can build on the front window. Do you have HUD in your car? Will the tint affect the clarity?

I had an 8% "limo" tint put on which is great in the daylight, but can get a little dicey at night when backing up in dark areas. If I had it to do over again, I might go 15%, but the window looks great on the outside with the darkest tint. Keeps prying eyes out too. I think you'll be happy with the 15%.

Last edited by Vinnie T; 03-18-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I have 35% on rear and sides, and for me this is the perfect darkness.
My car is a daily driver (weather permitting) so it was important for me to still see enough when backing up. I can see the visibility is less then without tint (makes sense), but still safe to drive.
Also in my opinion going too dark (limo) gives a more getto look to the car, rather then a more refined look.
Also take in account that since you have black interior, the tint will appear slightly darker when looking in then on a car with lighter interior color.

Hope this helps

Sonny

Last edited by CandyRed77; 03-18-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, 30% on the sides, 20% on the rear.....Huper Optik.

Last edited by HuskerBullet; 03-18-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 AM
07c64jb
Instructor

I have 15-20% (not sure which) on all three windows. Purchased the car that way. The rear is really great....the sides however are a little dark. At night parking and backing are a little "iffy". I roll down the window. I'm strongly considering having it removed and a lighter tint, maybe 35-50% put on. In Calif it's just another reason for a citation. (READ: The state needs the money) I do however recognize law enforcements safety concerns. BUT......the dark tint really looks great on my silver car.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 AM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerBullet
Yes, 30% on the sides, 20% on the rear.
Same here.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by 07c64jb
I have 15-20% (not sure which) on all three windows. Purchased the car that way. The rear is really great....the sides however are a little dark. At night parking and backing are a little "iffy". I roll down the window. I'm strongly considering having it removed and a lighter tint, maybe 35-50% put on. In Calif it's just another reason for a citation. (READ: The state needs the money) I do however recognize law enforcements safety concerns. BUT......the dark tint really looks great on my silver car.
I have the darkest tint possible on rear but that's legal here but at night or in darking parking lots beware. My sides I have been pulled over not sure what % of lighting it is but I like the privacy and like the fact that it makes it difficult for someone to check out my car. and keeps everything cooler. I keep an eye out for the freeway *****.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerBullet
Yes, 30% on the sides, 20% on the rear.....Huper Optik.
That's ceramic tint correct? How do you like it? Does it really keep the heat off as advertised? Debating between this and carbon right now.

Where did you get yours done?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

Originally Posted by CandyRed77
Also in my opinion going too dark (limo) gives a more getto look to the car, rather then a more refined look.
LOL......I understand what you are saying, but I'm more concerned about the big rear window and summertime temps that can get into the 100's. If you really want to talk "ghetto", that is the silver (and now gold) gradient tints that you see popping on cars more and more now in some places.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im curious on this as well. Pics would be nice.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 812 Posts

I am very happy with my tint, legal on the sides and darker on the hatch
Old 03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Parthenon
Instructor

Originally Posted by CandyRed77
Exterior-wise, "limo" tint done with high-quality film can look excellent.
It's the lower quality limo tint that has a heavier blue tinge to it that makes it look like crap. Often times people can't afford the high quality 5% film because they spent all their $$$ on the 24s
Old 03-18-2010, 04:29 PM
ww1999
Instructor

I live in Florida so every car I have owned has been tinted with whatever is premium. I have an '07 Vert and used the ceramic gray tone tint, state legal percentages with darker back window. It is perfectly fine and does help protect the interior and keep things a bit cooler, cut UV rays, etc. I like the tints and drive with sun glasses as needed so the combo is safe and liiks great.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:42 PM
terryzx
Instructor

While I was looking to try to decide on the tint percentage, the guy who own the shop had me check his Hummer tint out that is the same 15% I am thinking about along with the front transparent tint that only block 8% light and 99% UV. His inside was all cool while my Vette which had only been sitting for 10 minutes was already hot.

I was going to have it added today but he told me that an all new and much better film that reduces the heat 10% more will be out next week, so I am going to get that instead.

I was mainly concerned about nite time visibility as my previous Vette's were a bit dark looking out but I understand that this new stuff is not quite so bad.

As far as I can tell from my weeks of checking around...this Llumar is the best to use:

http://www.llumar.com/en/Default.aspx

I'll post some photos as soon as I get it all installed

I'd not had the windshield tint before on my past Vette's and the dash eventually faded badly.
This new transparent stuff should keep that from happening this time

Last edited by terryzx; 03-18-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by terryzx
Going to do the front windshield in a transparent film that blocks UV.
never heard of this. let us know how optically clear it is.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Parthenon
Exterior-wise, "limo" tint done with high-quality film can look excellent.
It's the lower quality limo tint that has a heavier blue tinge to it that makes it look like crap. Often times people can't afford the high quality 5% film because they spent all their $$$ on the 24s
I have had my tint on with no problems for 6 years now.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by terryzx
While I was looking to try to decide on the tint percentage, the guy who own the shop had me check his Hummer tint out that is the same 15% I am thinking about along with the front transparent tint that only block 8% light and 99% UV. His inside was all cool while my Vette which had only been sitting for 10 minutes was already hot.

I was going to have it added today but he told me that an all new and much better film that reduces the heat 10% more will be out next week, so I am going to get that instead.

I was mainly concerned about nite time visibility as my previous Vette's were a bit dark looking out but I understand that this new stuff is not quite so bad.

As far as I can tell from my weeks of checking around...this Llumar is the best to use:

http://www.llumar.com/en/Default.aspx

I'll post some photos as soon as I get it all installed

I'd not had the windshield tint before on my past Vette's and the dash eventually faded badly.
This new transparent stuff should keep that from happening this time
The heat in your Corvette was probably from the transmission/exhaust/engine.

How much is this going to cost?

Get notified of new replies

To Are you happy with your window tint?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Nueboch
Burning Brakes

Happy with mine, same outfit did did my last 4 cars.
This is the legal max for Arkansas. I did the side and back only. It's a DD and I find the tint at night can be an issue in some circumstances. Easy to roll down the windows if needed though.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
iflex2fitness
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinnie T
LOL......I understand what you are saying, but I'm more concerned about the big rear window and summertime temps that can get into the 100's. If you really want to talk "ghetto", that is the silver (and now gold) gradient tints that you see popping on cars more and more now in some places.
I have the blackest black there is and its the best you can buy.
My car hardly looks "ghetto". I like dark tint.
Maybe silver or the gradient tints that are mentioned above aren't seen on nicer cars and don't look so good, but to say black tint is "ghetto" is rediculous. Most people have what is legal in their state and if they could would probably choose to go darker.
I might add I have an exemption from the Texas Dept. of Public Safty for the tint because my son is limited to the time he can be exposed to sun.
If I could, I would go lighter but regardless, done right in high quality, black tint does not look "ghetto".
I've never heard that before.

Last edited by iflex2fitness; 03-18-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has been done in 35% tint on the back and side windows -- nothing on the windshield. I like a uniform look and as far as I know the 35% tint is what is legal on front side windows here in Oklahoma -- I think you can go as dark as you like on other side windows and the rear glass. It's dark enough for me but not so dark that I have trouble at night. Here are a couple pics as my GS is black also.

Good luck with whatever you pick!

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your window tint?