C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight assembly adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 AM
3rdWish
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Headlight assembly adjustment?

I was installing my speed lingerie bra yesterday and noticed that the passenger side headlight assembly was about 1/8" from sealing where the top of the headlight seal is supposed to meet the fender. It's not noticeable unless you swat down and look directly at it, but there is a gap there that you can see in behind the assembly. I don't really know that it will hurt anything, but concerned about rain and such getting in there.

Is there a way for me to adjust this? Is it nothing to worry about, or is this something I need a dealer to look at?

Thanks for you help,
Billy
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by 3rdWish
I was installing my speed lingerie bra yesterday and noticed that the passenger side headlight assembly was about 1/8" from sealing where the top of the headlight seal is supposed to meet the fender. It's not noticeable unless you swat down and look directly at it, but there is a gap there that you can see in behind the assembly. I don't really know that it will hurt anything, but concerned about rain and such getting in there.

Is there a way for me to adjust this? Is it nothing to worry about, or is this something I need a dealer to look at?

Thanks for you help,
Billy
The bolts that hold the headlights on are accessed by removing the wheel and wheel well liner on the side that you need to adjust. In your case it could be just the gasket out of location or it could be the headlight itself. If it is the gasket you will need to remove the front fascia and at least the screws that hold the front half of the fender in place to get to the top of the light assembly and the gasket.

This is what the headlight assembly looks like from the bottom and you can see the three bolts and washers that hold it in place:

This is what the gasket looks like on the light assembly.

This is what the headlight assembly looks like attached to the car and you can see the relationship of the gasket to the light assembly
Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM
kero
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ack that is complicated
Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Wheel needs to come off?

Originally Posted by talon90
The bolts that hold the headlights on are accessed by removing the wheel and wheel well liner on the side that you need to adjust. In your case it could be just the gasket out of location or it could be the headlight itself. If it is the gasket you will need to remove the front fascia and at least the screws that hold the front half of the fender in place to get to the top of the light assembly and the gasket.
Is it possible to change the bulb/clean the inside without removing the wheel and liner, or is it absolutely required?

TIA
Old 07-31-2010, 12:00 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Default here's the answer to my own question

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Is it possible to change the bulb/clean the inside without removing the wheel and liner, or is it absolutely required?

TIA
Not really. Changing the High and low beam bulbs, yes. running/parking light bulb, no.

As for cleaning the inside, you can get a wire with a small piece of rag attached inside (around the outside of the high beam enclosure/lense), but, there is not much maneuverability. At total PITA.

And, FWIW, the unit is not really sealed. Each of the bulbs has a rubber cover/gasket, but they are removable and presumably not absolutely airtight.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

And, FWIW, the unit is not really sealed. Each of the bulbs has a rubber cover/gasket, but they are removable and presumably not absolutely airtight.
On the backside of the headlights there are also two push on white rubber elbows. these are hollow, and have a black plastic tube inside. Pull out the plasic tube with needle nose pliers. These tubes have a small, (about 3/16" diameter by 1/2" long,) foam rubber inserts inside of them to act as an air filter.

If you ever have your headlights out of the car be sure to check that these filters are in their proper location. If you have the elbows off you will see what I mean.

On the bottom of the headlight base there is also a rectangular pad that feels like electrical tape, but is a flat back color. This is a check valve type of vent in that it will allow air to flow through, but not water or dust. Make sure this tape is not torn or loose.

These are all places to look for foreign matter to enter the headlights, but you can only check them once the lights are out of the car.

Ed

Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 AM
3 or 88
Instructor

I took my headlights apart and had to change base or bucket; the focal assembly that adjustments can be made for light positioning has to be installed in the new bucket. I am looking for the black plastic retaining clips that hold the adjustment rods into place on the focal assembly. Any ideas on part# or where I can locate new or an assembly schematic.... thanks for any help.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:53 PM
tayson
Cruising

Originally Posted by 3 or 88
I took my headlights apart and had to change base or bucket; the focal assembly that adjustments can be made for light positioning has to be installed in the new bucket. I am looking for the black plastic retaining clips that hold the adjustment rods into place on the focal assembly. Any ideas on part# or where I can locate new or an assembly schematic.... thanks for any help.
I am looking for the same thing, one of mine is broken... Anybody?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The headlight units are not sealed because that would cause problems with condensation and also would make them subject to pressure changes when the car goes up into the mountains.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 3 or 88
Originally Posted by tayson
I am looking for the same thing, one of mine is broken... Anybody?

I have them. 6.00 each plus shipping. Before anybody says corvette tax I am paying less than this of course but had to order 3500 of them to get tinnerman to sell to me. Try tinnerman and find out first hand. No body else has these, at least new. I know first hand.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Not sure why all the advice is being given here ... since THERE WASN'T A PHOTO POSTED. Sheesh, post a photo, get the perfect answer, what's so hard about that ...

Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
tayson
Cruising

I'll pay 6 bucks each* for a few, how can I get in touch?

Last edited by tayson; 01-05-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

I'll pay 6 bucks each* for a few, how can I get in touch?
My paypal is RLSEBRING@***.NET Put a note on there that payment is for the projector clips. Add 4.95 for shipping.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OP,

Talon's response answers your original question. A little more info here.

When I changed out my headlights for a different color, the replacements had gaps with the fender that the original headlights didn't have. I learned quickly that the washers on the three screw mounts made the difference. You may have to add or remove a washer to make the adjustment. And yes, you'll have to remove the headlight to do it.

The other thing I noticed was the difference between a new OEM gasket around the headlight and one that's been exposed to weather. The thickness and position of that gasket can make a gap difference. A new gasket may be in order.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Good Post! The new original gasket starts off a strong 1/8" to 3/16" then over time and exposure with compress down to 1/16". I've seen plenty that were paper thin.

Originally Posted by turbod
OP,

When I changed out my headlights for a different color, the replacements had gaps with the fender that the original headlights didn't have. I learned quickly that the washers on the three screw mounts made the difference. You may have to add or remove a washer to make the adjustment. And yes, you'll have to remove the headlight to do it.

The other thing I noticed was the difference between a new OEM gasket around the headlight and one that's been exposed to weather. The thickness and position of that gasket can make a gap difference. A new gasket may be in order.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

OP,

If I'm reading the post correctly, the gap might also be caused by variations in the big opening in the fender/bumper. The gap on our 2009 (never damaged or worked on in that area) varies from 0 in some places, to about 3/32" on others.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 01-23-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

..... running/parking light bulb, no.
I've done it on several occasions, both sides. no wheel nor liner removal

(in fact, you can't remove the inner liner 'cause it's glued to the frame)

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight assembly adjustment?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
tayson
Cruising

Default Adjustment Clips Delivered

Hi All,

RLSebring (see above) sent my "headlight adjustment clips" Received them last week. I have searched everywhere, this is the only place I have found them, short of buying a used headlight.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 AM
3 or 88
Instructor

Hi All,

RLSebring (see above) sent my "headlight adjustment clips" Received them last week. I have searched everywhere, this is the only place I have found them, short of buying a used headlight.
RLSebring assisted me about 6 months ago with the same clips these are unatainable, i was so appreciative to get them I sent him a damaged light pod i bought off ebay where he could retreive to assist someone else in future... glad to hear he has been able to get his hands on new ones.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
arrowhead
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP,

So some headlight assemlies have more or less washers on the mounting bolts to make them fit better in the bumper and fender?

Quick Reply: Headlight assembly adjustment?