C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a vette make a dependable daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Have my 07 Z51 as a DD (and only car) for nearly 3 years now. Just under 40k miles so far and no troubles. Handles rain just fine (and even the little bit of snow we had in Houston last year!)
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM
DarkFox1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea I'm tryin to figure out what to do about snow next year. We don't get much here but it does cover the roads.

The stock tires are UHP summer right?

I haven't played in the rain too much,I find that the stock tires have almost no traction so I don't push it.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, great DD! Things you need to get used to: low clearance and tire wear. Aside from that, it's a great car.

RMX
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure it does, but i wouldn't do that with mine. Too much to be concerned about and I would have to clean a 1,000 times a week.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

The drawbacks to having a C6 as a DD is:

The car will be more subject to damage (accidents, rock chips, parking lot hits, stolen, etc)

If you ever want to sell it later, high-mileage Vette's really take a beating on their prices

If you live in a snow/ice area, the Vette su*ks in the snow/ice. Low ground clearance, high HP, rear wheel drive, lightweight, wide tires, all contribute to this

If you want to take more than 1 passenger, no can do with a 2 seater.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:40 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LBear

The car will be more subject to damage (accidents, rock chips, parking lot hits, stolen, etc)

If you ever want to sell it later, high-mileage Vette's really take a beating on their prices
However, while your Vette is parked safely in the garage, the DD you're driving is subjected to the same damage, ect. Then the DD is racking up the miles, reducing it's value and costing additional insurance during the time that both cars depreciate.

I believe the Vette being the DD is more economical than having two cars and certainly a lot more enjoyable.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it. I have a 2008 that I drive every day and love it. It loves the rain. It's amazing to me that a lot of people worry about puting too many miles on their car commuting. Sometimes I wish I had more of a commute, as I live less than a mile from my work.

Be prepared to buy new tires fairly quickly if you buy a Z51. From what I've read, the Z51 tires are only good for about 8-12k miles.

Last edited by widgetsupply; 03-30-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Great daily driver and amazingly practical. Very decent fuel mileage, the coupe will hold a ton of stuff, you won't be asked to drive a pile of people on lunch outings, and the commute just becomes a joy ride. What's not to like.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...more than 1 passenger, no can do with a 2 seater.
It depends upon your perspective, this can be an advantage.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
However, while your Vette is parked safely in the garage, the DD you're driving is subjected to the same damage, ect. Then the DD is racking up the miles, reducing it's value and costing additional insurance during the time that both cars depreciate.
The DD costs $15k, while the Vette costs $45k. I care less about the DD getting damaged, while having the Vette damaged would bother me a lot more.

My insurance company gave me a discount because I did NOT use the Vette as my DD. They told me that having the Vette as a 2nd car (pleasure car), it reduces my premiums. Parking a non-Vette DD in a lot and leaving it unattended for 8 hours while you are at work is not as bad as parking a Vette DD unattended for 8 hours.

I believe the Vette being the DD is more economical than having two cars and certainly a lot more enjoyable.
Depends. If you drive a lot of miles a year and park in unsafe & heavy traffic areas due to work, having a Vette as your DD is not a good idea. Driving to Wal-mart, driving during rush hour, during inclement weather, on bad roads, transporting a lot of goods, is not a good idea with a $45k car

I can buy a $15k DD and rack on 150K miles in 3-4 years. Not worry about those things and even sell it for $5k after the 3-4 years.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,665 Likes on 850 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

If you bought a Corvette expecting it to "hold its value" then you are delusional

Its a great car, very fun to drive, and I am living the dream to be in one, but in the end, its just a car and a Chevy at that.

Life is too short to have a car you are too scared to drive to the grocery store or the movies or anywhere else you wish to drive it.

To each his/her own, but I feel sorry for folks who never drive their Vettes. My second Vette was purchased used. It was an '04 that I bought in '06. It had all of 13K miles on the clock and still smelled and looked brand new. I am pretty sure the previous owners barely drove the car. By contrast, I got the car up to 62K before I traded it for my current Vette last year. It went cross-country three times and I enjoyed driving it everyday that I had it. I am fairly certain the previous owners didn't get any enjoyment out of it. BTW, the dealer gave me $20K for it at time of trade-in, pretty fair deal I would say. Additionally, my old car was on the lot for all of a week before someone else bought it.

IMHO, it is better to drive and enjoy than to wax and worry.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
If you bought a Corvette expecting it to "hold its value" then you are delusional

Its a great car, very fun to drive, and I am living the dream to be in one, but in the end, its just a car and a Chevy at that.

Life is too short to have a car you are too scared to drive to the grocery store or the movies or anywhere else you wish to drive it.

To each his/her own, but I feel sorry for folks who never drive their Vettes. My second Vette was purchased used. It was an '04 that I bought in '06. It had all of 13K miles on the clock and still smelled and looked brand new. I am pretty sure the previous owners barely drove the car. By contrast, I got the car up to 62K before I traded it for my current Vette last year. It when cross-country three times and I enjoyed driving it everyday that I had it. I am fairly certain the previous owners didn't get any enjoyment out of it. BTW, the dealer gave me $20K for it at time of trade-in, pretty fair deal I would say. Additionally, my old car was on the lot for all of a week before someone else bought it.

IMHO, it is better to drive and enjoy than to wax and worry.
In 1996 I got a Chevy Impala SS, I was scared to drive it, I never got the joy off driving it like I should have.
I only drove it on long trips, no MORE
I drive the Vette and enjoy it no matter what
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pmj341
In 1996 I got a Chevy Impala SS, I was scared to drive it, I never got the joy off driving it like I should have.
I only drove it on long trips, no MORE
I drive the Vette and enjoy it no matter what
Good for you
Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

The A6 tranny will help if you have to commute thru stop & go traffic.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Some people have 2 cars so they can take better care of their vettes. My DD gets significant abuse from bad weather, especially snow, and the residual salt on the road after the fact isnt good for any cars chasis. I have a DD so I dont have to expose my 60k sports car (vert) to the benefits of acid rain, snow and road salt, risk of marring my expensive chrome wheels on deep potholes, careless/selfish people in parking lots etc. I take care of my DD also, but its very less suseptible from what would happen to my vette as a DD. And after 2 years of owning it with 8k on the odometer the under carriage has no signs of rust or corrosion.

But it sure is fun to drive when I decide to take it to work sometimes.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

The DD costs $15k, while the Vette costs $45k. I care less about the DD getting damaged, while having the Vette damaged would bother me a lot more.

My insurance company gave me a discount because I did NOT use the Vette as my DD. They told me that having the Vette as a 2nd car (pleasure car), it reduces my premiums. Parking a non-Vette DD in a lot and leaving it unattended for 8 hours while you are at work is not as bad as parking a Vette DD unattended for 8 hours.
My insurance has my vette as a pleasure car, and that made my insurance alot cheaper than what I should be paying. And I still get to drive it often and get enjoyment out of it. And I find no pleasure taking my vette to a store and having to worry about where to park and if its safe to park it there. Too many careless people who have no respect for property would just drive away after damaging my car. I'll stick with my DD for that and keep my vette looking sharp when I take it out.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yes
We got 20k on our 09 and it is awesome to drive a Vette daily

Get notified of new replies

To Does a vette make a dependable daily driver?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Depends. If you drive a lot of miles a year and park in unsafe & heavy traffic areas due to work, having a Vette as your DD is not a good idea. Driving to Wal-mart, driving during rush hour, during inclement weather, on bad roads, transporting a lot of goods, is not a good idea with a $45k car

I can buy a $15k DD and rack on 150K miles in 3-4 years. Not worry about those things and even sell it for $5k after the 3-4 years.
I think our differences (not just you and me, but all of us) are based on degrees of fear and worry. We all have a threshold of concern regarding what is dear to us. Personally, I appreciate what I've worked hard for, but only zealously protect the things that cannot be easily replaced.

The wife's Caddy (her DD) gets used when more people space is needed and I have a pickup for the big/heavy loads. They all can, and will, be replaced sometime.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

I think our differences (not just you and me, but all of us) are based on degrees of fear and worry. We all have a threshold of concern regarding what is dear to us. Personally, I appreciate what I've worked hard for, but only zealously protect the things that cannot be easily replaced.

The wife's Caddy (her DD) gets used when more people space is needed and I have a pickup for the big/heavy loads. They all can, and will, be replaced sometime.
Exactly.

Live a little.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

There are alot of threads on here from users who have had alot of things happen to their cars. Even then ones who hardly take them out, things happen. Parking lot mishaps, road obstacles all put a clear and present danger to a car which is lower to the ground, by design. Tires that have low profile sidewalls put the wheels at more risk of damage than the average car. Wider tires are more suseptible to nails and other debris that punctures them. Plus the fact that the cost of repair to the vette is far greater than one to an average passenger vehicle.

Call up GM for a price to the headlight assembly becasue some idiot backed into your car with his SUV bumper. Then took off so now you are stuck with the headache. Maybe you are lucky enough to not have these things happen to some of you, but not all of us are that fortunate.

I am not a DD, but I average about 5k a year and that is still enough for enjoyment, pleasure and alot of smiles of hard acceleration. And I still get to keep my car in like new condition with low miles to boot.

Last edited by pTr73; 03-30-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Does a vette make a dependable daily driver?