C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMP pro rata refund for voided warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Vetticus Victor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMP pro rata refund for voided warranty?

I read a lot of posts about GM voiding the powertrain warranty for certain mods and for after-market tunes.

I was wondering ...

If GM voids a powertrain warranty, what happens to the customer purchased extended warranty? Does GM refund the customer a prorated portion for his extended GMPP Major Guard warranty, the same as if the customer cancelled the warranty himself?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetticus Victor
I read a lot of posts about GM voiding the powertrain warranty for certain mods and for after-market tunes.

I was wondering ...

If GM voids a powertrain warranty, what happens to the customer purchased extended warranty? Does GM refund the customer a prorated portion for his extended GMPP Major Guard warranty, the same as if the customer cancelled the warranty himself?
That is a great point. I can't see why not. You have the right cancel at anytime.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I heard that GMPP is not actually a GM warranty from GM. If you cancel warranties,you get a prorated refund.I had GMPP on a 95 a while back.I had a supercharger put in.The tranny blew.They covered it on good will.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I had an extended warranty on a previous vehicle that I was able to get a prorated refund a few months after it was sold.

Since it is something you purchased I wouldn't see why you couldn't get a refund.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

You would have to cancel IT YOURSELF.Just because you mod doesn't mean it's canceled,per say.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 AM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

GMPP does not know your car is Modded, how could they!! It is hard to them to deny a bad heated seat switch in your car if you put a supercharger on it!!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
You would have to cancel IT YOURSELF.Just because you mod doesn't mean it's canceled,per say.

You can cancel your GMPP at any time yourself and will receive a pro-rated refund. I believe that if you cancel after 30 days of GMPP purchase, there is an admin fee for cancellation.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Gramps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as GMPP, do they not consider the original warranty 36M/36K, 60M/100K, when pricing your GMPP. Point is, that a power train failure within 60M or 100k, would tap the GM warranty before going to GMPP. I would suspect that GMPP would look into the refusal under the manufacturers warranty.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Vetticus Victor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gramps, are you saying that if GM had cause to void the original warranty, then the extended warranty would still be in effect? Or that the extended warranty would also be voided but refundable?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Read the contract because it really varies by company. Some will say mods/racing/not maintaining it per GM specs, etc will not be covered. Some also say overheating will not be covered but I'm pretty sure GMPP covers that.

I canceled extended warranties numerous times before due to trading in the car and always received a refund. I wanted to buy GMPP for my Yukon that I have a warranty with through another company and they said if I canceled it goes towards the lien (it is in the contract). It is a 2009 Yukon XL Denali so I don't have it paid off and really don't have another $1700 extra (just returned from an urgent trip to the Philippines and had to pay $1500 to the taxman) to buy another warranty now so I'm stuck with it. I know to check with Dennis first from now on.

Get notified of new replies

To GMMP pro rata refund for voided warranty?

Quick Reply: GMMP pro rata refund for voided warranty?