C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Glove Box Latch

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 AM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Glove Box Latch

The local dealer just informed me that he has to order an entire glove box assembly to fix the plastic latch that I broke.

Anyone else have this happen?

The latch seems rather fragile.

I'm wondering if any 2007 Corvette key unlocks these latches?

---Ed
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Bearsden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's total BS. It's only the latch and about 15 minutes with most of that time being spent swapping out the key cylinder.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 AM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

Seemed unlikely when they told me that. However, I did check it out before I took it to them and the glove box hinge is riveted and I was not been abe to even get the door to open...

Which is why I posted this. I was wondering if anyone had actually had to have the glove box latch replaced.

Looking at the broken latch --- it does appear that it would be fairly simple to pop a new one in after replacing the key cylinder...

My next question is how do I convince the dealer to just replace the latch?

---Ed
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the other posted said it is a 15 minute replacement job. You can do it your self without any problem. Either have him order it or order one yourself from GMPARTSHOUSE.COM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My latch was just replaced by the Dealer, took 2 1/2 weeks to get the part and 0.20 hours to install.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Corvette - SRQ
The local dealer just informed me that he has to order an entire glove box assembly to fix the plastic latch that I broke.

---Ed
Oh bye the way, you need to be saving up for the next one that breaks (good for about 20-25 more open close operations), and do not put any weight on the console latch, when getting in the vehicle. It's made out of the same crap plastic that the glove box is!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by hotinaztoo
Oh bye the way, you need to be saving up for the next one that breaks (good for about 20-25 more open close operations), and do not put any weight on the console latch, when getting in the vehicle. It's made out of the same crap plastic that the glove box is!!!
Can we get volume pricing on these? I'll go ahead and order more now, although I must average about 8 opens & closes per year because this lasted me more than 3 years.

The console is fine so far... But now I am going to go look closely at it too.

After my latch broke, I read here on the forum that many owners store the leather owner's manual in one of the rear storage bins. I'm thinking that trying to close it with that big hunk of leather in it might have led to its failure? I would guess that I've actually opened/closed my glove box less than a dozen times...

I've used the console much more often than the glove box during the last 3 years. I'm thinking that ordering a replacement for the console latch might be prudent...

By the way, I still love my C6 --- even if the latches are made of plastic...

Anyone have a clue on how to get it open with the busted latch not working? I've not tried too hard because I feared making matters worse. But if the dealer's going to replace the entire glove box - I guess that isn't much of a factor?

If I could replace the latch myself I would be much happier!

---Ed
Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Default try search

Lots of good info and creative solutions without replacing the entire assembly:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-approach.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tch-story.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...oor-latch.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...off-today.html

Good luck-
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Stickboy97
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine broke as well, the dealer said it is a pain to change out and he needs my car for at least an hour or two.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

There are two TORX screws on the inside of the glovebox door that will allow the latch to fall out the other side. I took mine out in about two minutes and that included looking at the screws to see what size they were.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:04 PM
hd1989
Heel & Toe

I had my latch only replaced by Schmacker Chevy dealer in North Jersey took two days to order and the installed it in 10 minutes covered under warranty

---Ed
Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine broke after two months. Dealer ordered the part and installed it in 20 minutes.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickboy97
Mine broke as well, the dealer said it is a pain to change out and he needs my car for at least an hour or two.
Translation from DealerSpeak to English: "We've never done it before, so we need a few hours for my tech to learn how to do it using your car as a school zone."

Seriously, you need to find a new dealer who isn't FOS.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 AM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

I haven't been able to get my glove box to open since the plastic handle on the latch broke completely off. After looking at what is left of the latch --- I simply don't see anything that can be pulled or poked to make it release. It does look like there are four bolts holding the steel locking bar... Perhaps if I could get the correct size of wrench I could unscrew them and the bar would drop free and the glove box would open? The problem is that there isn't much space to get a wrench into.

Too bad I skipped that class on how to pick locks.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I haven't been able to get my glove box to open since the plastic handle on the latch broke completely off. After looking at what is left of the latch --- I simply don't see anything that can be pulled or poked to make it release. It does look like there are four bolts holding the steel locking bar... Perhaps if I could get the correct size of wrench I could unscrew them and the bar would drop free and the glove box would open? The problem is that there isn't much space to get a wrench into.

Too bad I skipped that class on how to pick locks.
When mine broke, the metal part was left. You can open it by pulling on that metal piece either with fingers, or a pair of needlenose pliers. It took a couple of weeks to get the replacement part for mine, so I got good at opening it with my fingers, but it was tough to pinch that metal piece hard enough to pull on it. The metal piece hinges and does not move very much, so try pulling on one end of it and then the other.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't been around for awhile, but I wanted to check if there is any new info to add to this thread. The dealer replaced the latch on my 2008 Z51 coupe and it lasted about 3 weeks. I'm thinking of having him fix it again, hopefully no cost since the repair was so recent, and just not using the glove box from now on.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Anyone make a improved aftermarket latch ? If they are that easy to change it would be a slam dunk aftermarket piece for the glovebox and console. Anyone replaced theirs more than once?

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Glove Box Latch

Old 10-12-2014, 09:56 PM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

I had a 2005 coupe for six years before selling it for my 13 Grand Sport. I never had a problem with the latch on the 05 but I've already had the GS back to the dealer twice for glove box latch replacements.

I must have opened the box about ten times since I bought it new before it broke the first time; opened less times before it went the second time. The service manager told me not to put anything in the box because too much stress on the latch is what is causing it to break. I told him the car is delivered with the manual in the glove box. He repeated, "Don't put anything in the box or you'll be back here again". Go figure!!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 AM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by lavla
"...The service manager told me not to put anything in the box because too much stress on the latch is what is causing it to break. I told him the car is delivered with the manual in the glove box. He repeated, "Don't put anything in the box or you'll be back here again". Go figure!!
I believe your service manager. I've had cheap plastic Japanese toys that were stronger than the glove box latch on my C6. I keep nothing in it and haven't replaced the last broken latch (of many).

Maybe I should just remove the latch mechanism completely and use a nice piece of duct tape to close it...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Mine broke on my '08 after about 6 months. It gets used a lot because my wife keeps her sunglasses and tissues in there and I'm constantly pulling out the OM for info or for the registration/insurance for LEO's.

Now 6 1/2 years later, the replacement still works fine. By studying the broken one and the reason for breakage, we have modified how we store stuff and how we open it when needed.

When the door is open, we stand the OM vertical at the very back. I keep a small tape measure and magnifying glass to the right of the OM. The travel pack tissues and sunglasses are last to go in. Since the OM is the heaviest item, that placement acts as a counterweight when open and contribute no stress when closed. The counterweight allows the very lightest touch to release the latch, so no extra force is needed. You don't need to pull the latch any farther or harder than the minimum needed to release the catch.

With 119K miles on the car, I suspect it has been opened somewhere around 2,000 to 4,000 times without another failure.

Quick Reply: Broken Glove Box Latch