C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
jimdavis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery and other issues

I have a 30-month old 2008 Corvette and Saturday I tried to start it and the battery was dead. This is a daily driver car. I tested the battery with a battery tester and it was history. On my previous 2005 Corvette the battery failed at 35 months. These seem to be excessively short lived batteries.

Now my question. When you open the door on a Corvette the door window goes down a little ways and then when you close it, the window pops back up fully closed. Since this battery replacement, my windows go down when I open the doors. but they do not go back up when I close them.

Does this have anything to do with the battery or is this a different issue?

And while I am on my soapbox, the six speed automatic trans in this car is the worst transmission I have ever had in any GM car that I have owned going back to 1961. It has a lot of things I don't like but the worst is to slow down and almost come to a stop and then step on the gas to find out it is between gears and in neutral. Of course it then bangs into gear excessively hard because the engine revs up while between gears and jerks the car.

Another thing that is very annoying is that on the rare occasion I take off on a full throttle blast with the trans in automatic mode, the rev limiter kicks in before it makes the shift. This is on the 2-3 shift. Shouldn't the computer know to make the shift before it has reached the redline?

I have had the car back to the dealer on the transmission issues and was told that everything worked properly. This car only has 21,000 miles on it.

Also the water pump leaks and all four links on the sway bars are loose and rattle. The rattling started at about 10,000 miles and I replaced them and now they are loose again. Had the same issue on my 2005. This seems like something that should have been fixed between 2005 and 2008.

Last edited by jimdavis; 04-13-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

You need to reindex the windows. It is explained in the owners manual. Close door, raise the window. Hold switch up for 3 seconds after window is closed. Release the switch. Raise and hold for 3 seconds again. Do this on both doors.

3 years is about all I ever get from an OEM Delco battery.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 PM
viper62
Instructor

I just had my second battery replaced under warranty on my 08. The window problem is related to the battery. With the power on roll the windows all the way up and then hold both buttons up for a few seconds. This will reindex the windows and they will work right.

The trany problems you refer to are normal but don’t happen very often. Put the car into performance mode and the rev limiter should not be a problem.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
jimdavis
Instructor

Hmmmm.....I was afraid somebody would come back and tell me to read the manual. *lol*

Thanks for the heads up. Very much appreciated.

On my 2005 the battery died the week before I traded it in.

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
You need to reindex the windows. It is explained in the owners manual. Close door, raise the window. Hold switch up for 3 seconds after window is closed. Release the switch. Raise and hold for 3 seconds again. Do this on both doors.

3 years is about all I ever get from an OEM Delco battery.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jimdavis
Hmmmm.....I was afraid somebody would come back and tell me to read the manual. *lol*

The kinder forum members here will usually tell you how to solve the problem, in addition to reminding you about the owner's manual.

My 06 is a DD. I've had it for 46 months, same battery. However, about 80% to 90% of my mileage is acquired at 70-75 mph on the interstate.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:38 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

3 years is as much as I ever got on any battery. But my TBSS is now 3 years old this month and it is working fine.

It has been my experience that Delco batteries outlast all others, but are a little expensive. After my origional equipment Delco is gone I just head to Walmart.
LJ
Old 04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I didn't just refer you to the owners manual. I gave you the procedure as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
jimdavis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I didn't just refer you to the owners manual. I gave you the procedure as well.
Yes you did and I appreciate it. Thanks again.

I didn't buy the $150 Delco Remy battery as a replacement. I bought an $86 Bosch at Pep Boys that has a higher cranking rating and also a much longer warranty.....3 years unconditional and 8 years co pay. Not that that means anything to me since I will be trading this car in in about six months.

I will either get a Grand Sport 2011 Vette or the new 556 HP supercharged Caddy coupe. I want to drive one first however.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I have a 30-month old 2008 Corvette and Saturday I tried to start it and the battery was dead. This is a daily driver car. I tested the battery with a battery tester and it was history. On my previous 2005 Corvette the battery failed at 35 months. These seem to be excessively short lived batteries.

Now my question. When you open the door on a Corvette the door window goes down a little ways and then when you close it, the window pops back up fully closed. Since this battery replacement, my windows go down when I open the doors. but they do not go back up when I close them.

Does this have anything to do with the battery or is this a different issue?

And while I am on my soapbox, the six speed automatic trans in this car is the worst transmission I have ever had in any GM car that I have owned going back to 1961. It has a lot of things I don't like but the worst is to slow down and almost come to a stop and then step on the gas to find out it is between gears and in neutral. Of course it then bangs into gear excessively hard because the engine revs up while between gears and jerks the car.

Another thing that is very annoying is that on the rare occasion I take off on a full throttle blast with the trans in automatic mode, the rev limiter kicks in before it makes the shift. This is on the 2-3 shift. Shouldn't the computer know to make the shift before it has reached the redline?

I have had the car back to the dealer on the transmission issues and was told that everything worked properly. This car only has 21,000 miles on it.

Also the water pump leaks and all four links on the sway bars are loose and rattle. The rattling started at about 10,000 miles and I replaced them and now they are loose again. Had the same issue on my 2005. This seems like something that should have been fixed between 2005 and 2008.
Hello,

The information you have received on the windows is absolutely correct. As for your other problems, it appears your vehicle is still under warranty for a very short period of time. I would suggest taking it to a dealership and having them take a look at everything before the warranty terminates.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery and other issues

Quick Reply: Dead Battery and other issues