C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impossible deal on ZR1 - whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:02 PM
BrianBNM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call and find out what you can. Get the VIN.

Probably too good to be true but those fairytale deals do happen.

If the price is below what's left on the note the bank isn't going to let it go.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:02 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Not for real - unless phone # is wrong

Not sure what the deal is, but its not for real.

I called the phone number in the ad. A lady answered the phone and didn't know anything about the ad. I told her to expect a lot of calls.

Sorry for causing the momentary excitement.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:05 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DCBE

Or could be Z51 and not ZR1
That's what I'm thinking Z51 not ZR1....
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Navy Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jschindler
The sellers name is Lisa. Maybe it's one of those deals where she and car-nut hubby are getting a divorce and she's trying to screw him out of his car. It's been known to happen. Maybe someone really will get an unbelievable deal.

No question that it is a ZR1.
would you be of the schindler family that has or had a house on rainbow lake just outside of athens,tx?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Default Lock this one?

Maybe the moderators will lock this one for us since it was a false alarm. Too good to be true.

Thanks to everyone that tried to be helpful with your suggestions.

I contacted cars.com to let them know they have a suspect ad on their site.

Last edited by cartop2; 04-18-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Alreadyinuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by cartop2
I came across an ad for a 2009 ZR1 with 11,600 miles for $48,500 and am wondering what is wrong. It's probably worth a 150 mile drive just to find out. Could there by anything other than crash damage that would keep this from being an unimaginable deal? Something must be wrong.

UPDATE

I called the phone number in the cars.com ad.
A lady answered the phone, but she knew nothing about the advertisement. I don't think she knew what a ZR1 was, but the mention of Corvette brought the reaction that it definitely was not them.

I told her to be expecting a lot of calls because there is a really low price on a really nice car.

Sorry for causing any hearts to beat too fast. I was trying to be helpful. Mine was one of the hearts that was thumping even if I couldn't take advantage of this "dream deal".

Back to reality - my hunt resumes.

Probably a scam, (maybe just to gain personal info, who knows?) since I've seen several similar deals in my quest for a Viper
Old 04-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Alreadyinuse
Probably a scam, (maybe just to gain personal info, who knows?) since I've seen several similar deals in my quest for a Viper

Lots of scam ads like this... the car is currently out of country (or maybe just the seller is out of the country, and the car is in a storage facility that you cannot access prior to sale), and you'll need to use an escrow company (that he will coincidentally provide) to do a 'fast sale'.

Honestly. We all want the 'divorcee sells Porsche Turbo (or in this case ZR1) for $100' unicorn deal, but really, the odds of getting something for nothing are much better if you pick up some lottery tickets... at least that way, you're only throwing away $5.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy Man
would you be of the schindler family that has or had a house on rainbow lake just outside of athens,tx?
I'm afraid not.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianBNM
Call and find out what you can. Get the VIN.

Probably too good to be true but those fairytale deals do happen.

If the price is below what's left on the note the bank isn't going to let it go.
I'm not sure why you need the VIN - it's clearly a ZR1. The only think in question is the price.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:00 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
If it seems to good to be true it probably is.
Something is way off for that price.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by jschindler
The sellers name is Lisa. Maybe it's one of those deals where she and car-nut hubby are getting a divorce and she's trying to screw him out of his car. It's been known to happen. Maybe someone really will get an unbelievable deal.

No question that it is a ZR1.
Or, possibly screwed into the middle of a divorce property settlement. How'd you like to be the one forking over close to $50k to buy something that isn't somebody's to sell? and

Yes, never underestimate the capacity of our fellow human beings to be totally sleazy and greedy.

They're not all like us!

Was waiting for something approriate to use the angel icon on.

This Forum is now a 'who dunnit' story.

Last edited by chgoblue; 04-18-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I came across an ad for a 2009 ZR1 with 11,600 miles for $48,500 and am wondering what is wrong. It's probably worth a 150 mile drive just to find out. Could there by anything other than crash damage that would keep this from being an unimaginable deal? Something must be wrong.

UPDATE

I called the phone number in the cars.com ad.
A lady answered the phone, but she knew nothing about the advertisement. I don't think she knew what a ZR1 was, but the mention of Corvette brought the reaction that it definitely was not them.

I told her to be expecting a lot of calls because there is a really low price on a really nice car.

I sent a notice to cars.com regarding the ad being suspect.

Sorry for causing any hearts to beat too fast. I was trying to be helpful. Mine was one of the hearts that was thumping even if I couldn't take advantage of this "dream deal".

Back to reality - my hunt resumes.
You should have known right off something was wrong with this deal.

I wouldn't have even bothered wasting time calling any more than I would were someone advertising a bridge in New York for sale "cheap".

Not worth my time to hear the rest of the scam, nor worth the time finding out what's wrong with the deal because I already know that something is terribly wrong with it.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-18-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You should have known right off something was wrong with this deal.

i wouldn't have even bothered wasting time calling any more than I would were someone advertising a bridge in New York for sale "cheap"

Not worth my time to hear the rest of the scam, nor worth the time finding out what's wrong with the deal because I already know that something is terribly wrong with it.
I generally agree with you,

HOWEVER, I think you're performance mod problems have left more cynical than most.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chgoblue
I generally agree with you,

HOWEVER, I think you're performance mod problems have left more cynical than most.
No doubt about it, it's left me skeptical.

But there is definitely something not right with that deal.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
No doubt about it, it's left me skeptical.

But there is definitely something not right with that deal.
See, got ya to laugh. That made this thread worth it right there.

Love laughing at my own jokes.

Oh, yea, and sorry to highjack this thread on a tangent, but I found you're performance mod story very educational. I'm too much of a *****,...(or too poor) to chance deep sixing the extended warranties I always go for with these cars. The 07 came with a +35 hp chip that I'll never use just because. btw- I've had this Z51 for 2 mos. and is going in for the 2nd time for a shifter problem,...first time a cable broke, so can't take no chances on the new 5yr/60k.

Back to you, Chet.

Last edited by chgoblue; 04-18-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 PM
cartop2
Drifting

OK guys. From the outset I asked what all could be wrong with it. But, being stupid I did call. Found it was a fraud. I contacted cars.com and they confirmed it was not for real and hopefully already pulled the thing off their site. They said they did pull it.

Here's their response copied from the message emailed to me.

"Using the information you provided we were able to locate the ad and have determined it not to be a legitimate listing. It has been removed as fraudulent. While we are very sorry that you encountered this unfortunate situation, we are grateful that you have taken the time to bring it to our attention.

If you see any other suspicious advertisements or have any other questions, please feel free to contact us."

:o
I'm done with this one.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

OK guys. From the outset I asked what all could be wrong with it. But, being stupid I did call. Found it was a fraud. I contacted cars.com and they confirmed it was not for real and hopefully already pulled the thing off their site. They said they did pull it.

Here's their response copied from the message emailed to me.

"Using the information you provided we were able to locate the ad and have determined it not to be a legitimate listing. It has been removed as fraudulent. While we are very sorry that you encountered this unfortunate situation, we are grateful that you have taken the time to bring it to our attention.

If you see any other suspicious advertisements or have any other questions, please feel free to contact us."

:o
I'm done with this one.

We all got soeme laughs and suspense.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Quick Reply: Impossible deal on ZR1 - whats wrong