C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Scraping

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
sun_bill1974
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Scraping

The front of my corvette always scrapes when I back out of my driveway...but for some reason, I'm able to pull it in without scraping. I know it has to do with the slope of my garage...
They have this soft tar at home depot, where I could lay it down and it'll set....has anyone re-graded the slope of there drive-way to prevent the scraping
Or is it just not that big of a deal the front scrapes?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed my GS will scrape at the oddest places. But so far I've been lucky and only the air dam that's below the radiator has scraped and not the actual front splitter area. I'm not too concerned about that piece because anyone would have to lay down to see any scraping damage. Could that be all you're hearing drag?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
CA C6 Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does this as well. Many driveways have a specific down-slope, where it is lots more critical an angle when you depart, rather than when you arrive. The thing I do (and it doesn't work all the time), it to try to angle the front wheels, so each each wheel takes the low point of the driveway, one at a time. Works more often than not. Besides, its' not causing that much bad stuff with the plastic air dam, anyways.

Upon returning to my driveway, I use the same way to enter. One wheel at a time and I almost never have an issue with entering. Hope this helps?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine scraps the driveway on the air dam and splitter. I am hoping that if I go in and out of driveway enough times, it will eventually wear the splitter/air dam down enough so they don't scrap...

Back when I owned a SSR..that community refered to this kind of thing as a "quirk"...
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Mine will scrap if I back straight out, but if I back out so I am positioned almost parallel to the street no problems.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The scraping is no big deal, its the under car diffuser, GM actually tells you in the manual that it mat be heard.

C6 has it right on. Angle in and you won't ever scrape the plastic (if it bothers you). I go to a Shell gas station with a huge ramp and angle in, no problem. You would be amazed.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would scrape the corner pieces of the air dam upon entrance and exit from my driveway. I solved it by removing the corner pieces. There are little ducts under there for front brake cooling that benefit from having the dam there, but I don't track or abuse the car so it hasn't been an issue. There were those that thought it would severely compromise the stability of the car at speed, ect, but of course there's no difference whatsoever (though I can't vouch for 130+). It was very worth it to me (and my neighbors). Good luck!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 PM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettin08
I would scrape the corner pieces of the air dam upon entrance and exit from my driveway. I solved it by removing the corner pieces. There are little ducts under there for front brake cooling that benefit from having the dam there, but I don't track or abuse the car so it hasn't been an issue. There were those that thought it would severely compromise the stability of the car at speed, ect, but of course there's no difference whatsoever (though I can't vouch for 130+). It was very worth it to me (and my neighbors). Good luck!
Yes, I took those two side pieces off as well after one of them broke off and took half of the inner wheel well with it. I've been running with just the center air dam as well, and no problems at all.

I have a tough time backing the Vette out of my city driveway, or really anywhere for that matter. I'm tall, and it's real tough to see. Using the mirrors is my only hope!

TomZ
Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Divvi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dvilin
Mine will scrap if I back straight out, but if I back out so I am positioned almost parallel to the street no problems.
If I back out or drive in at too much of an angle I scrape the rear of the rocker panels. Even worse sound than scraping the front =(
Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

This is normal and on my C5 I have replaced the air dam and the outer parts 2 and this scraping is better than hitting the front bumper and this happens on the C6 all the time and does not bother me any
Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
sun_bill1974
Advanced

As far as I know, its just that flimsy bottom plastic that sticks low scraping...yeah, I also read in the manual that it may scrape from time to time and its o.k., but it sounds so awful ...thanks for everyone's feedback

Get notified of new replies

To Front Scraping

Quick Reply: Front Scraping