C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil catch can. It is really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Oil catch can. It is really needed?

Simply put: If it's important to have one, why isn't it a Factory setup
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
mvicel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have a different question. I've tried searching, but couldn't really find anything. I honestly don't know what and oil catch can is. I see a lot of guys adding it and vendors selling, but I don't know what is it good for
Old 04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Simply put: If it's important to have one, why isn't it a Factory setup
Good question and I look forward to hearing from any mechanics and/or engineers on the subject. It is a extremely cheap fix/modification that would cost manufacturers very little. Consequently, if they serve any beneficial purpose why don't manufacturers use them?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

If you ever pull your intake manifold you will see all the oil laying inside and understand the need for the catch can.

Last edited by MARSC6; 04-25-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM
PJRed2008
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
If you ever pull your intake manifold you will see all the oil laying inside you'll understand the need for the catch can.
That really answers nothing. I see no oil smoke from my exhaust, I don't use oil between changes, I notice absolutely no problems with the current stock setup.

So, I'll ask again for the OP, why are these deemed necessary, other than as a gadget to dress up the engine bay?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
That really answers nothing. I see no oil smoke from my exhaust, I don't use oil between changes, I notice absolutely no problems with the current stock setup.

So, I'll ask again for the OP, why are these deemed necessary, other than as a gadget to dress up the engine bay?
I wouldn't consider them necessary for a stock engine unless oil in the intake bothers you. More for modified engines or cars that are driven very hard.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-manifold.html
Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[I see no oil smoke from my exhaust, I don't use oil between changes, I notice absolutely no problems with the current stock setup.

So, I'll ask again for the OP, why are these deemed necessary, other than as a gadget to dress up the engine bay?[/quote]

So if a tree falls in the forest and no is there to hear it fall, did it ever make a sound? Just because you don't see smoke or have to add any oil just means your Vette is a good running car.

Sorry to use that old cliche but the amount of oil it collects is not all that much but do you want it going in your intake? Because that is where it is headed.

I put one on because of all the info on this forum. Like you, my car ran fine without it and I am not pulling off my intake to look.

I spent the $80 (Whoo hoo! Big bucks!) and installed it which was very easy to do. At my first oil change I opened it and was floored to see motor oil in the bottom. It was only a bout 1/4 full.

The volume was not enough to make the car smoke or miss but over time.....hmmm.. who knows.

Buy one, try it and if you don't like it, remove it. I think you will be glad you did.

Jeff

Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Good question and I look forward to hearing from any mechanics and/or engineers on the subject. It is a extremely cheap fix/modification that would cost manufacturers very little. Consequently, if they serve any beneficial purpose why don't manufacturers use them?
we saw a 20hp difference on the dyno. oil in the intake will cause detonation you will never hear, but the knock sensors do. then they retard the timing costing you performance. catch cans do correct this problem. if you are trying to get the most performance out of your car, use one.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I think the short answer is "no" - - for daily and street use- it's really not an issue.

If you're a weekend track junkie and run at sustained high revs, the catch can catches oil that would otherwise be "blow-by" and recirculates it.

And you're right - -if it was critical for daily opeation, it would probably be on the car from the factory - - but like so many things we do with our cars, it's an added component that may benefit a segment of the C6 population.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Capt Steve
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During normal operation, a small amount of unburned fuel and exhaust gases escape around the piston rings and enter the crankcase, referred to as "blow-by". If these gases remained in the crankcase and condensed, the oil would become more diluted over time, decreasing its ability to lubricate. Condensed water would also cause parts of the engine to rust.

To counter this, a crankcase ventilation system exists to draw fresh air in from the air filter and expel the gases out the PVC valve into the intake manifold. In a non-turbo engine, the intake manifold is at a lower pressure than the crankcase, providing the suction to keep the ventilation system going.

A turbo engine usually has a check valve somewhere in the tubing to avoid pressurizing the crankcase when the turbo produces boost.

As the air returns to the intake manifold, it contains a small amount of oil along with unburned fuel and exhaust gases. These gases are then reburned along with the fuel air mixture.

As the air cools and condenses, some of the oil can return to liquid state before it can be re-burned, and can collect in the throat of the throttle body. The engineers who design the engines do not feel this is a problem, which is why they do not do anything to stop this.

The oil catch can is installed in this line between the engine and the intake manifold. It is supposed to allow the air to cool and catch any oil before it can condense in the throttle body.

So the question is, are you fixing a problem that really does not exist, or are the engineers wrong and over time this could become a issue.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
So the question is, are you fixing a problem that really does not exist, or are the engineers wrong and over time this could become a issue.
well, they warrant the drivetrain for a long time now so if they thought for one minute that a few dollars for a can would save them tons on warranty claims it would be on from the factory, IMHO. simple, not an issue for 99% of the cars out there.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'd be surprised how much oil you find inside the catch can after 6 months. i don't even track my car, just normal driving. i say it helps, instead of it going into your intake manifold.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil catch can. It is really needed?

Quick Reply: Oil catch can. It is really needed?