C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Letters-Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 AM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Default Rear Bumper Letters-Inserts

I was talking to the owner of another AO C6 last night and he had black lettering on his rear bumper. It looked a little different that the others I have seen. Maybe you guys could help me identify who makes it. He bought it at a Corvette meet last year and didn't remember the vendor. It was black lettering (he mentioned something about gel?) and said it was very easy to apply. It was not flat like decal lettering but had a sightly raised & rounded look. Just about filled the letter cavity. I should have taken a picture. Any ideas. Thanks, Mike
Old 05-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Try a search.

The letters you describe sound like those offered by Forum Vendor, RPI Designs.

They are flexible vinyl and availble in many colors and chrome or carbon fiber for both the back of the car and the dash. Excellent product and great customer service.

Painting is also an option with several DIY posts.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Keep in mind that any type of "Raised" letters can snag your towels when wiping the car down. You'll also have to take extra care to prevent wax buildup around the raised letters. I went through three different types of "Stick On's" and haven't been very impressed with any of them. This weekend I'm going this route: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-corvette.html and painting my letters.

U.M.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
Keep in mind that any type of "Raised" letters can snag your towels when wiping the car down. You'll also have to take extra care to prevent wax buildup around the raised letters. I went through three different types of "Stick On's" and haven't been very impressed with any of them. This weekend I'm going this route: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-corvette.html and painting my letters.

U.M.
I used the above mentioned technique link for painting the back lettering on my new GS just a few days after getting it and it looks GREAT. Everyone just assumes it came that way from the factory. It seems there were lots of complaints about the stick on lettering but I don't remember seeing any complaints about painting -- if you mess up you can immediately wipe the paint off with the mineral spirits and you're back to square one. You'll have spent a whole lot less than a set of stick on letters too -- if you don't already have everything it shouldn't be any more than about $10. I picked the red paint in the exact brand the original post talked about so I knew there wouldn't be any surprises -- there are several colors to pick from plus I'm sure that any normal spray paint will give you the same results plus you might find a color you like better -- I think I'd stay away from any of those paints that stick on the molecular level JUST IN CASE something goes wrong and mineral spirits won't wipe it off...

Here are the results from my paint work:

Don't be afraid and good luck!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice job !
Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
I used the above mentioned technique link for painting the back lettering on my new GS just a few days after getting it and it looks GREAT. Everyone just assumes it came that way from the factory. It seems there were lots of complaints about the stick on lettering but I don't remember seeing any complaints about painting -- if you mess up you can immediately wipe the paint off with the mineral spirits and you're back to square one. You'll have spent a whole lot less than a set of stick on letters too -- if you don't already have everything it shouldn't be any more than about $10. I picked the red paint in the exact brand the original post talked about so I knew there wouldn't be any surprises -- there are several colors to pick from plus I'm sure that any normal spray paint will give you the same results plus you might find a color you like better -- I think I'd stay away from any of those paints that stick on the molecular level JUST IN CASE something goes wrong and mineral spirits won't wipe it off...

Here are the results from my paint work:

Don't be afraid and good luck!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 AM
DMSVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought and installed the stainless steel lettering from WCC
My coupe is AW
Looks great but took time to apply
Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

It took me two tries before I got results I was happy with. This is definitely the only way to go IMHO. Much cleaner look than the raised letters. Please excuse the filthy car!

U.M.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

U.M.
Painting is the way to go!!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 PM
SilverC5Hokie
Cruising

I love how the Corvette owner version of a "filthy car" still looks better than 99% of the cars you'll see in an average year

It took me two tries before I got results I was happy with. This is definitely the only way to go IMHO. Much cleaner look than the raised letters. Please excuse the filthy car!

U.M.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome! But very scary to do.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Reminds me of the Lanka paint chip repair kit. I had 0 success with that and it works on the same principal.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 PM
SilverC5Hokie
Cruising

After doing this, I can say this is ridiculously easy to do and extremely hard to mess up. I fully recommend this to anybody brave enough to take a spray paint can to their vette. You'll be very happy you took the time to do it.

One caveat though. The OP shows pics of using a block of wood perpendicular to the letters ( holding the block like | while the letters are like - ) and emphasizing lots and lots and lots of times to make sure the wiping towel is nearly dry to avoid runs. What I found to work the best is using a rectangle piece of wood (I actually used the back side of a billiard table brush) and using it the same way the letters run ( I held the brush - to match the letters - instead of | like the OP in the pics) By doing this, it allows you to use quite a bit more mineral spirits for cleaning, and with the extra towel area over the letters it cleans much quicker. You can even let the paint dry a bit to help avoid runs and use even more spirits to make clean up that much quicker.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Wildlife4u
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The vinyl stickers are hard to apply. This gives a better result for sure if you have the big ones it takes to start spray painting your vette!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:44 AM
0260B4U
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U.M.

I was just wondering exactly what type of spray paint and color of red you used to paint the "CORVETTE" letters on your rear bumper, because it looks great.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Why don't you just buy the vinyl letters? I have stainless ones on my car. This thread is 3 years old!!

Ibtl
Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM
JV936
Heel & Toe

The worse part of this is you know he had to dig down about 30 pages to dredge up a posting this old.
I cant see how you get past three pages without haveing to do some work or go to sleep or somthing that has to do with real life.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 0260B4U
I was just wondering exactly what type of spray paint and color of red you used to paint the "CORVETTE" letters on your rear bumper, because it looks great.
Rust-Oleum Gloss Protective Enamel, color number 7762, Sunrise Red.

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Why don't you just buy the vinyl letters? I have stainless ones on my car. This thread is 3 years old!!

Ibtl
Because they suck compared to painted IMHO and many others.

U.M.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bumper Letters-Inserts

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Letters-Inserts