C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to get some warrantee work done, but my dealer will not cooperate

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I read it as the work they performed would have a warranty thus if he had a problem with the work performed it would be covered if their fault.

The mechanic may have been doing you a favor by doing something and not charging you for it since he was all over the front of the engine anyway.

Rule of thumb if it isn't on the work-order as being did and paid for the dealership would be crazy to even entertain doing anything about it. Believe it or not there are some scumbags out there that would go into the dealership and try to get over on them...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not discuss this with another service dept. Find out the pricing on the work that your service records show was done as well as the balancer. That might clear up the total picture for you.

While you may have believed that all that was initially discussed was in fact repaired and/or replaced, you might find out that the charges you paid may have never covered all the work that you think was done.

We all continue to go through learning experiences the hard way. This maybe a wake up call for you to allways check with the service manager to make sure all things that you believed you were paying for were actually performed.

Good luck
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
BrokenBrain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for the fix of the balancer, it certainly was wobbling and making a jiggle sound before the work was done and had none of these symptoms afterword. it didn't get fixed "magically"; or, do you believe in "magic"?

at some point i will likely have a conversation with Max about how this work was done without it costing me $800 (or $900 if you like) back in february.

my own guess is that they were trying to effect some kind of repair that they estimated would not cost them much. like maybe they figured some "bolt tightening" would do the trick. i know that sounds a bit weird, but it is one explanation.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
BrokenBrain
Advanced

i am well aware of the fact that this all could look like i am trying to get some 'free' work done on the balancer by trying to tie it together with some other 'old' work order. i can see that side of it. but that is just another reason to have Max clear this all up for us. let's see if he will do that.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

There's a GM cust.svc rep on here.No,I haven't read every post in here so forgive any repetition.That CRANK BOLT/BALANCER is under recall or TSB.Call GM!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
BrokenBrain
Advanced

08crm:

thanks for your post. could the TSB on the crank bolt be one way to explain why there is no charge or even mention of the balancer work on my paperwork? it looks like Max decided to just do a repair on it at no charge to me.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM
BrokenBrain
Advanced

i should make one thing clear here:

my concern/vigilance regarding the warrantee and the paperwork was not what it should have been probably because "Max" has always been, from the first second of working with him, a completely professional "stand up" and knowledgable guy. Max is one of the reasons I use this dealership instead of a place like Cormier (who thoroughly screwed up this vehicle when they tried like rank amatures to do some simple warrantee fixes to it).

so my feeling, at the time, was like "Max gets this stuff right (or he makes it right)".
Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the mythical omnipotent Max is the only real recourse you have available. In the end what you are looking at is a "he said/she said" type of debate if Max declines to agree with your account. That they are making him unavailable to you is strange, but again something that Chevy can assist with.

To answer your earlier question of me. While under warranty I had issues with oil consumption. My dealer spent 1 year in diagnosis...yes 1 YEAR. They were totally inept and finally I had to contact Chevy to express my displeasure and attempt to get some action. Chevy was very good at working with me on this and the dealer was pushed to take real action. I don't think I had a special number to them, so you should be able to find it in your owner's manual or on-line.

To come back to your issue. If the dealer will not make available the guy with the verbal promises, Chevy proper should be able to help. You have nothing to lose by calling them. They will in turn call the dealer and try to get to the bottom of the issue. Again, this may not come out in your favor since there is no written record of this promise, but clearly you have nothing to lose by trying.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm sorry your having issues but there is really only one person to blame....

Whenever I have ANYTHING done to any of my cars I carefully review the bill to assure that what I was told I was getting I got. If I have an issue I walk right back into the service area and question it right away.

I'm afraid this will just need to be "lesson learned" on your part as I doubt you will get anything further from the dealer.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

08crm:

thanks for your post. could the TSB on the crank bolt be one way to explain why there is no charge or even mention of the balancer work on my paperwork? it looks like Max decided to just do a repair on it at no charge to me.
Could be.If you use the search feature on here and put in HARMONIC BALANCER/CRANK SHAFT PULLEY,or go up in the FAQ's section and look it up,you'll get a wealth of info.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

This seems pretty strait forward but your just having a hard time communicating it to the forum (which may be the root of your troubles):

1. Your Car is out of every possible factory warranty even extended (dont worry mine is too) and TSBs are not recalls.

2. The warranty you are speaking of is what they are doing through GM service departments called "Goodwrench Limited Lifetime Service Guarantee" where they warrant parts and labor for the repairs they do at authorized locations (the water pump i just had replaced has it)

3. If it is not on your bill they did not use any parts for your fix (they would have to for their accounting system) and it sounds like they did little if anything at all for it.... but..... you did not pay for the fix anyway: it would be itemized on your bill. $900 for your work seems right: my bill right in front of me is $675 for the water pump replacement alone w/ no other work done.

4. They will not warrant work that you did not pay for. why would they? $800 for the balancer doesn't seem excessive. The only way to save some money would of been if they did it while they were in there with the pump as it would save on some of the disassembly hours for labor.

5. Sorry for your troubles but at this point as much as i hate to say it i have to side with the dealer. The only thing i think you can do is ask "Max" to give you a break on the labor since they could of replaced it when they had the belts and pump off earlier. But that would be purely a "nice guy" thing since they definitely are not obligated to do that.

hope it works out for you.

-grey
Old 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GreySteele06
This seems pretty strait forward but your just having a hard time communicating it to the forum (which may be the root of your troubles):

1. Your Car is out of every possible factory warranty even extended (dont worry mine is too) and TSBs are not recalls.

2. The warranty you are speaking of is what they are doing through GM service departments called "Goodwrench Limited Lifetime Service Guarantee" where they warrant parts and labor for the repairs they do at authorized locations (the water pump i just had replaced has it)

3. If it is not on your bill they did not use any parts for your fix (they would have to for their accounting system) and it sounds like they did little if anything at all for it.... but..... you did not pay for the fix anyway: it would be itemized on your bill. $900 for your work seems right: my bill right in front of me is $675 for the water pump replacement alone w/ no other work done.

4. They will not warrant work that you did not pay for. why would they? $800 for the balancer doesn't seem excessive. The only way to save some money would of been if they did it while they were in there with the pump as it would save on some of the disassembly hours for labor.

5. Sorry for your troubles but at this point as much as i hate to say it i have to side with the dealer. The only thing i think you can do is ask "Max" to give you a break on the labor since they could of replaced it when they had the belts and pump off earlier. But that would be purely a "nice guy" thing since they definitely are not obligated to do that.

hope it works out for you.

-grey

good post....I would have to agree and side with the dealer on this as well....if it's not on the paperwork it wasn't done....end of story....
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
ORANGEC6VERT
Racer

When what was discussed doesnt match the paperwork, I get concerned. PM me with your VIN and I will tell you if GM got charged for a balancer or pulley replacement like you were told. If I can arm you with the proper details, they may be a little bit more willing to help you. They never like to hear the word "Fraud" mentioned.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ORANGEC6VERT
When what was discussed doesnt match the paperwork, I get concerned. PM me with your VIN and I will tell you if GM got charged for a balancer or pulley replacement like you were told. If I can arm you with the proper details, they may be a little bit more willing to help you. They never like to hear the word "Fraud" mentioned.

Fraud???....the car was not fixed under warranty so why would GM have a record of it?....the OP used the word "warranty" in reference to the work the dealership did independant of GM.....the OP paid for all services done.....he is disputing what he was told verbally and what is on the paperwork....all this from over a year ago....

Last edited by gilly6993; 05-11-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by gilly6993
Fraud???....the car was not fixed under warranty so why would GM have a record of it?....the OP used the word "warranty" in reference to the work the dealership did independant of GM.....the OP paid for all services done.....he is disputing what he was told verbally and what is on the paperwork....all this from over a year ago....
I think you and orange are saying similar thngs. OP is saying maybe they put the part on, didn't record it at all, and didn't charge him for it. So, as unlikely as it might seem, there's some kind of going-forward warranty on the part since it was new. How else, as the OP says, would the sound/noise go away--with a simple tightening of the nut? Maybe not, maybe so.

Orange, I think, is saying give me your vin, I'll check the system to see if a part was essentially "comped" to the OP with no record on the bill, but reimbursed cost to the dealer.

I know it all sounds implausible, but strange things do happen.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AORoads
I think you and orange are saying similar thngs. OP is saying maybe they put the part on, didn't record it at all, and didn't charge him for it. So, as unlikely as it might seem, there's some kind of going-forward warranty on the part since it was new. How else, as the OP says, would the sound/noise go away--with a simple tightening of the nut? Maybe not, maybe so.

Orange, I think, is saying give me your vin, I'll check the system to see if a part was essentially "comped" to the OP with no record on the bill, but reimbursed cost to the dealer.

I know it all sounds implausible, but strange things do happen.
I see what you're saying but the bottom line is the OP didn't pay for it a year ago, it's not on the paperwork, and the car is out of warranty....so how can he expect to get it fixed for free?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I say the OP and the dealer should go on Judge Judy. She'll clear it up and get it resolved.

Get notified of new replies

To want to get some warrantee work done, but my dealer will not cooperate

Old 05-11-2010, 04:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by gilly6993
I see what you're saying but the bottom line is the OP didn't pay for it a year ago, it's not on the paperwork, and the car is out of warranty....so how can he expect to get it fixed for free?
That's a little tough one....the only thing I can think of is, if the part is/was new, and if it was in fact put on by the dealership, then it could be the implied warranty (if there is any) with new parts???????? I realize I'm stretching here...what do you think? Maybe it's only a 90 day warranty on the part; I really don't know. Your opinion?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
BrokenBrain
Advanced

i want to thank everyone for posting comments here; they are all helpful to me.

if i do find out that the parts/labor for the balancer repair was essentially just 'comped' to me in february, than i will feel a lot more comfortable paying for it this time around even though i still think there is a warrantee in play here based on Max's statement to me at the time.

one other thing: this all happened this year as of february 2, 2010. that's when the work in question was paid for.

thanks again everyone.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BrokenBrain

one other thing: this all happened this year as of february 2, 2010. that's when the work in question was paid for.

thanks again everyone.

from your original post I thought it was Feb of last year....best of luck in a resolution....

Quick Reply: want to get some warrantee work done, but my dealer will not cooperate