C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 octane non ethanol gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Thank you!
That's the website I was referring to , but it's not any kind of an official site. It relies on consumers to let them know of stations that don't have ethanol in their gas. I gave examples of gas stations in my town that have ethanol free 91, 93 & 94 octane gas and none of those stations are listed on that site.

Two reasons I started this topic- 1) to inform other Corvette owners where they can get high octane, ethanol free gasoline in the Springfield, MO area, and- 2) to ask others to inform us where we can purchase high octane ethanol free gasoline in their town.

I guess it's true that most Corvettes are garage queens(and thus have no use for gasoline) as no one seems to have any idea what the octane rating and ethanol content is of the gasoline in their town(based on lack of response by CF members to this post).
Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Nothing but 10% E in NE area. Not a worry all the cars run fine. Too much of the E10 theory and posts are incorrect
Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by subseawellhead
Louisiana only
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/ethanol_free.php

Venezuela, 95 octane, 53 litres for less than a dollar
Actually not that difficult in South America, as the govenment is really pushing thing's to locally produced ethanol fuels, and bump OPEC out of their live's. Last I heard, all gasoline's had to be 30% ethanol minimum, and this requirement keep's going up. Being a warmer climate, cold starting on low flash point ethanol, really isn't a problem.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i run e85 in one of my cars. its tuned to use e85 or 91-93 or a mixture.

its turbo'd and loves e85. based on the performance i get out of it, i love the stuff too.

anyway, there's a test for ethanol content in gas. which i do occasionally using a 100ml graduated cylinder. this is the only method that would satisfy me as to the amount of ethanol in a batch of gas.

go on ebay and buy a 100ml graduated cylinder ~ glass preferred because the numbers are easier to read.

then do the following test:

Place exactly 50ml of fuel into a 100ml graduated cylinder,

Add 48ml of water and place stopper on cylinder,

Shake vigorously 15 seconds (this is important- I even shake upside down thru part of this- NOTE- BE CAREFUL- it will build pressure and could spray out on you)

Let sit undisturbed 15 minutes. Now observe the upper meniscus where air meets liquid- lower edge of curve is the measurement line for total volume. Record this- please note that 50 ml of fuel and 48 ml of water will NOT equal 98 ml -ask me later why.

Now look for the dividing line between the hydrocarbon on top and the water/ethanol phase below- this is the lower meniscus. Find the bottom side (lowest point) of this curve and record.

Calculation; Formula is 2.1 + 1.94(total vol-alcohol/water volume)

Let say your total (upper) volume was 95 ml and your lower (water/alco) was 82 ml. Then:

2.1+1.94(95 ml total-82 ml lower)=
2.1+1.94(13)=
2.1 +25.22=
27.32% HYDROCARBON
OR 100-27.3=72.68% ALCOHOL
Old 05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Nothing but 10% E in NE area. Not a worry all the cars run fine. Too much of the E10 theory and posts are incorrect

What do you say is wrong? My 4 vehicles; 3 cars 1 truck all get less MPG and less power. Same in my boat. My snow blower and lawn mower & other 2 strokes I have need more maintaince. Gas even with Stable does not store near as long as real gas does. My 2 sons with a total of 4 cars 2 trucks 2 Harleys 1 boat 2 snowmobiles & a few small 2 strokes all say the same.

I live out a ways and need to keep gas for emergencies. We could easily loose power for weeks.

Real great stuff that Ethanol crap is and the idiots want to up it to 15%
Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay educate me. What's the differance if there is "ethanol" in the gas or not. I don't think Ive ever paid enough attention to know if the gas has it or not?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The Eagle Stop Phillips 66 stations(94 w/o ethanol) that I use are at S Kimbrough Ave at E Battlefield Rd, and W Republic Rd at the West Bypass. The Rapid Roberts that I use (93 w/o ethanol) is at Fremont and E Republic Rd. All three on the south side of town.There are some of the Rapid Roberts Conoco that have 91 w/o ethanol so it's best to check if you don't use the ones I listed(from personal experience).
Thanks, the one at W Republic and West By Pass that is just south of the James River Expressway is it not? We take that around from Joplin to Branson all the time
Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Thanks, the one at W Republic and West By Pass that is just south of the James River Expressway is it not? We take that around from Joplin to Branson all the time
Yes, get off the James River Expressway at FF(west bypass), turn right to next light and then left on Republic, then right into station.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LOUSVETTE
Okay educate me. What's the differance if there is "ethanol" in the gas or not. I don't think Ive ever paid enough attention to know if the gas has it or not?
Actually there are some differences worth mentioning. Ethanol actually has a higher octane rating but less thermal enery(BTU) per gallon, so richer fuel/air ratio's are required to run it properly. Fuel milage will be lower. Most modern FI car's are set up to adjust for 10% ethanol ratio's, but some carburated engine's like boat's, motorcycle's, ext aren't liking ethanol mixture's much, as their not jetted for the modified F/A ratio's. If running high percentage's of ethanol, the fuel system usually need's to be upgraded to higher volume, and special attention to plastic's/metals ethanol resistant. Also, ethanol/gasoline mixture's dont store very well, easily picking up moisture, and gunk up in a hurry. Lot's of marine guy's are using Star Brite/StarTron fuel additive, specifically blended to store these type's of fuel's. You asked, so just pointing out a few thing's to watch out for upcoming fuel mixture's.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
I actually go out of my way to find gas with Ethanol.. Less money for the Arabs is good in my book!!
But you won't convince most of the folks that actually spend valuable time making list nation wide trying to find no-ethanol.

Quick Reply: 94 octane non ethanol gas