C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Bi-Mode Exhaust really not loud at all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:26 AM
mojoman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NPP Bi-Mode Exhaust really not loud at all!

I know this has been discussed here on the Forum many, many times, but here is my 2 cents worth. Last weekend I took a long drive with my convertible top down. Mostly highway speeds at 70 - 80mph. I have the Bi-Mode exhaust on my car with the fuse removed. I have read that people complain about the drone of the exhaust driving them nuts after driving for a while. I could NOT even hear any exhaust driving at that speed with the top down. All I could hear was wind noise, or my radio if I cranked it up. No drone or anything similar. If I nailed it, then I could hear some noise, But not at a steady cruising speed. I don't get it why some of you guys say that you do....maybe it is just because you invested in the on off switch and want to justify purchasing it. I myself will leave the fuse out and enjoy driving my car just the way it sounds all the time.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mojoman
I know this has been discussed here on the Forum many, many times, but here is my 2 cents worth. Last weekend I took a long drive with my convertible top down. Mostly highway speeds at 70 - 80mph. I have the Bi-Mode exhaust on my car with the fuse removed. I have read that people complain about the drone of the exhaust driving them nuts after driving for a while. I could NOT even hear any exhaust driving at that speed with the top down. All I could hear was wind noise, or my radio if I cranked it up. No drone or anything similar. If I nailed it, then I could hear some noise, But not at a steady cruising speed. I don't get it why some of you guys say that you do....maybe it is just because you invested in the on off switch and want to justify purchasing it. I myself will leave the fuse out and enjoy driving my car just the way it sounds all the time.
Drone can only exist in coupe models only.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 AM
res0n0xg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Drone can only exist in coupe models only.
I have a coupe with NPP and the fuse pulled, there is zero, to no drone, I've had drone on other cars before and know what drone sounds like at cruising speed. It's honestly the age group of the corvette owners, I'm 25 and could give a **** about minor drone, but it seems the older you get, the more picky you get about everything including the "terrible" drone from keeping the fuse pulled.

Honestly, I laugh so damn much when everyone is like, "i push my M2W switch when I see a cop!!!" and in reality the npp with the fuse pulled isn't loud at all, and any cop could give a rats *** about a little noise coming from a corvette.

I ran a 2003 cobra with an offroad xpipe and slp loudmouth I catback.... now that is a LOUD system, set's off car alarms, etc. and I honestly miss that sound sometimes.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

No offense, but isn't it a little obvious that you wouldn't hear exhaust drone, traveling at 70 mph, with the top down? Not an acoustical engineer, but I would guess the drone is created in an "enclosed" environment.

I have a coupe with the NPP. At 60 to 70 mph there is a drone. Like the sound on short trips, but on long trips look forward to shutting it down.

Do kinda miss my Corsa Sports on my '06. Nice sound, and no drone.

Last edited by WMark; 05-26-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by res0n0xg
It's honestly the age group of the corvette owners, I'm 25 and could give a **** about minor drone, but it seems the older you get, the more picky you get about everything including the "terrible" drone from keeping the fuse pulled.
Let's talk in 25 years... You will be old someday, sonny boy!

By the way, I don't agree with you. There is drone. Whether you can take it or not is something else. And as far as turning the NPP back on when around LEO's, that is . Being an old fart (in your mind) some of us are smart enough to know the NPP wide open won't be a noise violation.

Yanking your chain!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by res0n0xg
I have a coupe with NPP and the fuse pulled, there is zero, to no drone, I've had drone on other cars before and know what drone sounds like at cruising speed. It's honestly the age group of the corvette owners, I'm 25 and could give a **** about minor drone, but it seems the older you get, the more picky you get about everything including the "terrible" drone from keeping the fuse pulled.

Honestly, I laugh so damn much when everyone is like, "i push my M2W switch when I see a cop!!!" and in reality the npp with the fuse pulled isn't loud at all, and any cop could give a rats *** about a little noise coming from a corvette.

I ran a 2003 cobra with an offroad xpipe and slp loudmouth I catback.... now that is a LOUD system, set's off car alarms, etc. and I honestly miss that sound sometimes.
I guess I wasn't clear. Let me say it another way, Drone does not happen in a convertible, which the OP owns. Why? The rear hatch area of a coupe is shaped like a concert hall and you get to sit in the front row. In the convertible, there is not "concert hall", just open sky or a fabric top. Drone is the resonance created in that tight compartment of the coupe and whether you get it or not depends on what exhaust system you have.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 05-26-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 09 Vert with the NPP exhaust and the Mild to Wild wireless switch. I leave the system on the WILD setting all the time. There isn't much drone with the top up from the trunk area since Chevy placed a devider in the trunk on the C6's. I have had a lot of people ask me what exhaust system I have on my Corvette because they think it sounds awesome! I tell them it is the optional dual mode exhaust and explain how the Mild to Wild switch works and they think that it's way cool and sounds great, I have to agree with them too!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

IMO...the NPP exhaust sounds great. I have a 08 Vert and with the top down I cannot hear the drone. BUT, with the top up I do at highway speeds. That is the reason I have the M2W. Those that want to hear that drone all the time reminds me of a scene in a movie where the driver had his exhuast running into the back seat.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by WMark
Let's talk in 25 years... You will be old someday, sonny boy!

By the way, I don't agree with you. There is drone. Whether you can take it or not is something else. And as far as turning the NPP back on when around LEO's, that is . Being an old fart (in your mind) some of us are smart enough to know the NPP wide open won't be a noise violation.

Yanking your chain!

I wonder if noticing drone has anything to do with our age. The older we get, the less we hear certain frequencies. Google mosquito ring tone and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, after being married for 13 years, I've learned to only hear what I want to. What drone?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a coupe with the NPP. At 60 to 70 mph there is a drone. Like the sound on short trips, but on long trips look forward to shutting it down.
Plenty of drone. I'm sure the A6 adds to that fact. i like loud but drone is not pleasant so I too shut the valves on long cruises. I did notice that with the windows down and the top off, the drone is reduced dramatically which supports what others have said about the Coupe and closed environment.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I guess I wasn't clear. Let me say it another way, Drone does not happen in a convertible, which the OP owns. Why? The rear hatch area of a coupe is shaped like a concert hall and you get to sit in the front row. In the convertible, there is not "concert hall", just open sky or a fabric top. Drone is the resonance created in that tight compartment of the coupe and whether you get it or not depends on what exhaust system you have.
I recently went from a coupe to a vert and I agree the drone was much more obvious in the coupe - though still not that bad. Both the coupe and vert had the npp exhaust and I wouldn't buy one without it - love the way it sounds.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory installed NPP Exhaust in my Z52 GS Coupe is great, love the "Wild" mode, can't imagine having a Corvette without it, however there have been a few times (not many) when I have found it necessary to switch to the "Mild" mode.

Yes, at some steady highway speeds there is a drone, especially going up hills, however I find it to be sweet music to my ears most of the time................

The NPP exhaust with the "Wild to Mild " controller offers you maximum flexibility on how you would like to your NPP exhaust system to function under various driving conditions.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

like post before, no drone in a convertable, let alone wit hhte top down.

but i agree the drone peole complain about is minor.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The fact is the NPP is a compromise, it's not as loud as the Borla Sports and the B&B Bullets would drown out the NPP in any side by side test.

But it is a neat system designed to get around all the various "noise" laws enacted by various state and federal laws.

As for DRONE or RESONANCE all I can say is I tried cruising on the interstate on cruise control with the Z06 exhaust in the open mode, after 10 or 15 minutes I couldn't take it any longer and closed the valves.

Tom
Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

...isn't it a little obvious that you wouldn't hear exhaust drone, traveling at 70 mph, with the top down?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 AM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Age is a state of mind. I am north of 55 and love the sound! Fuse pulled and its music to my ears!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by MDPD23
Age is a state of mind. I am north of 55 and love the sound! Fuse pulled and its music to my ears!

Naturally you can't hear drone with the top down because cause of all the wind noise.

Different story with it up.

If you want more sounds with your NPP, install LT Headers. Love the sound, especially the old time Snap, Crackle, and Pop on decel.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Bi-Mode Exhaust really not loud at all!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

What??!?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense, but isn't it a little obvious that you wouldn't hear exhaust drone, traveling at 70 mph, with the top down? Not an acoustical engineer, but I would guess the drone is created in an "enclosed" environment.

Do kinda miss my Corsa Sports on my '06. Nice sound, and no drone.

:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Fp8950
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have absolutely no idea what drone you guys are refferring to.

I have a coupe equipped NPP exhaust with the fuse pulled and tere is no drone and it's way too quiet.

Similar to another poster I ha an 03 cobra o/r x and loundmouths. Now THAT was loud.

Want to hear drone? Get behind the wheel of a fox mustang with an o/r h pipe and flowmasters.

Maybe it's because I'm 25. But common it's a high performance car, not som BMW or Mercedes.

Quick Reply: NPP Bi-Mode Exhaust really not loud at all!