C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Mode Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:44 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUGKOTA
This is the first I've heard of the collars. Sounds great! What are they called and where can you get them. Thanks!
I opted to us a couple of small hose clamps.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-gs-pics.html
Old 05-30-2010, 06:19 PM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Another opinion...since I live in an urban area, leaving the NPP open all the time is not an option. And being all open/all closed isn't optimal, imo.

So, I compromised in order to at least hear the exhaust some of the time. I installed the little "collars" around the NPP outlet pipes (2 center ones) and have them barely cracked open all the time.

What this does is, I always have some sound from the NPP, and I get maximum sound when I floor it. But there are no issues in the urban areas from law enforcement re too much noise. A plus is I don't get drone at highway speeds either.
I used 2 small stainless hose clamps, and installed a manual toggle switch under the dash.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well...

Without a Mild to Wild... you end up with a wimpy sounding idle... and all the mide range rpm's... To me.. NPP has no point without Mild to Wild... as.. I would hardly ever get to hear it... I am not above 3500 RPM much.

And... you can sound VERY quiet at the push of a button...Way Cool
Old 05-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Migs08
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM NPP ops sheet

"Exhaust Tail Pipe Flow Control System Description and Operation sheet, Document ID: 1661283

Normal Mode
When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running the exhaust flow control module (EFCM) commands the vacuum solenoid On, which supplies engine vacuum to both exhaust flow control valves. This causes the valves to close, diverting exhaust flow through a baffled path inside the mufflers. As vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25% or greater and engine speed reaches 3500 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open, diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers, thus enhancing engine performance.

Competition Mode
When traction control is driver disabled, vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25% or greater and engine speed reaches 3000 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open; [sic] diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers more frequently and at lower engine speeds.

The system also delays exhaust valve activity during wide-open throttle acceleration to inhibit exhaust valve actuation when the accelerator pedal is released and reapplied while shifting gears.

The ERCM has the ability to detect electrical malfunctions within the system. Any electrical malfunction detected will cause the system to be disabled and increase exhaust audibility.

The system uses the engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), EFCM, exhaust flow control valve vacuum solenoid, vacuum reservoir, vacuum lines, 2 exhaust flow control valves and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions."
Old 05-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Migs08
Racer

BTW, mine opens at 3500 even in competition mode, not at 3000 as stated on the ops sheet above.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:31 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by AORoads
hmm, it's from a former forum vendor, but I'd bet that current vendor, Paul of Redlion customs (talon90) can get them, too.
Thanks for the referral Bill. Yes, I do carry the NPP Adjustment kit.

http://www.theredlion.us/NPPAdjust.htm

Paul
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

and just as a followup post, that kit is very complete including a long, thin hex tool (wire thin but very strong!) to tighten/loosen the all-stainless steel collars and screws.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM
MikeySoft
Burning Brakes

Default Me too. I just got a GS w Dual Mode as well.

Originally Posted by Dave Kitch
I just bought a new Grand Sport with the dual mode exhaust systerm option. The owner's manual says nothing about it and I'd like to know how it works and how it is engaged.

Regards,
Dave K.
Hi, Yup me too, just traded my 05 for a brand new GS. It sounds great when I start it, then the valves close.

Can anyone tell me which fuse it is and if there is any down side to removing it?

Or perhaps you might point me to a link where I might get the M2W Kit.

Thanks!

Last edited by MikeySoft; 05-30-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:42 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Remove floor mat from the passenger side. Pull the panel down from the rear of the floor exposing the fuse block.

Remove the fuse located in the lower RH corner of the fuse block.

The only drawback is with the fuse removed the exhaust may be louder than desirable under certain situations, that's why the M2W controller is a great feature to add.

I run with mine in the "Wild" mode most of the time, however the drone at steady highway speeds can become an issue.

The NCM is a source for the M2W controller.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 PM
MikeySoft
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GSRANDY
Remove floor mat from the passenger side. Pull the panel down from the rear of the floor exposing the fuse block.

Remove the fuse located in the lower RH corner of the fuse block.

The only drawback is with the fuse removed the exhaust may be louder than desirable under certain situations, that's why the M2W controller is a great feature to add.

I run with mine in the "Wild" mode most of the time, however the drone at steady highway speeds can become an issue.

The NCM is a source for the M2W controller.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Did you get the Remote? and was it hard to install?

So I just pulled the Fuse out and it did the Trick. Sounds MUCH Better. Is there any ILL EFFECTS on a new Car or any Extra Battery Drain with it running just without the Fuse?

Thanks for all the help as usual, Wow Much Much Better.

Last edited by MikeySoft; 05-30-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Tried Fix / Worked Perfect.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Old 05-31-2010, 03:35 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default ah..

Originally Posted by MikeySoft

So I just pulled the Fuse out and it did the Trick. Sounds MUCH Better. Is there any ILL EFFECTS on a new Car or any Extra Battery Drain with it running just without the Fuse?

There is NO electrical drain... as it gets no power.. fuse pulled.. But with Mild to Wild.. you can switch between... just nice to have the option...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeySoft

Pulling the fuse by itself has absolutely no negative impact, other than the increased noise level of the exhaust all of the time.

Actually the M2W install is quite simple with the instructions provided or available for download from the web. If I can do the install, anyone can!

I chose the zero drain install method to avoid any potential battery drain issues.

Love the NPP system!

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Migs08
Racer

Originally Posted by baddmojo
manual override of the NPP is definitely the way to go... I like the theory of the M2W, but thought the wireless remote controls a bit over the top as a solution... so, I just tapped the fuse and ran it through a rocker switch I mounted in the glovebox.. same effect but not as excessively gimmicky...

I too run with it open almost all of the time...
I did something similar. Wired up a fused, push button switch and installed it on the dead pedal. About $20 in parts and no remote to lose.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:06 PM
oak3x
Burning Brakes

Default Grand Sport...any aftermarket Exhausts available?

Are any of the exhaust manufacturers offering aftermarket exhausts for the Grand Sport?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 PM
mojoman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pull the damn fuse, throw it in the glove box, and get ready
to Rock n Roll. This is a Corvette, not a Chevette that you are driving!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:05 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mojoman
Just pull the damn fuse, throw it in the glove box, and get ready
to Rock n Roll. This is a Corvette, not a Chevette that you are driving!

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Mode Exhaust System

Old 12-12-2014, 09:29 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

Default Unleash the beast

Pull the fuse!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

I pulled the fuse for awhile...but now I have the Mild to Wild.

Love it

MT
Old 12-13-2014, 01:18 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I bought the split collars at a Sears Hardware store. Easy install, and now I can adjust the sound with the baffles closed.

Quick Reply: Dual Mode Exhaust System