C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting automatic in neutral while on lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Putting automatic in neutral while on lift

This is probably a real dumb question, but how the heck do you convince the C6 with an automatic transmission that you REALLY REALLY want it to be in neutral while the engine is off? I wanted to have the rear wheels free to spin while on the lift, so I started the car, put the car in neutral, and then shut off the engine, while the wheels were still off of the ground. Darn thing was yelping at me the entire time, and then when I closed the door to shut it up, it kept all the exterior lights on to try to get my attention about my "mistake".

So how do I do that? Man, I HATE cars that act like I don't know what I am doing.....
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried pushing the start button in the accessory direction for 5 seconds? This simulates having the key in the "on" position (not accessory) like those old fashioned cars that have keys. Though I haven't tried it, I would think you could then put your foot on the brake and shift to neutral.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 08vycpe
Have you tried pushing the start button in the accessory direction for 5 seconds? This simulates having the key in the "on" position (not accessory) like those old fashioned cars that have keys. Though I haven't tried it, I would think you could then put your foot on the brake and shift to neutral.
even in acc you can shift to any gear. Now I have never noticed if the car was trying to tell me something afterwards or not. If I didn't notice then probably wasn't.

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Disconnecting the battery should do it. Probably a good idea to roll down a window first, to remain accessable.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I do this all the time, just put the car in ACC mode to move position to neutral. Just be aware you must leave it in ACC, the car will not allow you to turn it "off" aka out of acc mode, until the car is in park. So you will be fine if you are just going to be working on it for a couple of hours. Any longer, I would disconnect the battery.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

i put mine in neutral on the lift by disconnecting the shift cable at the transmission. works great. car is completely off also. my lift is high enough to stand under. took an old screwdriver and notched it into a fork shape. pops the cable off the transmission shift lever, then i put into neutral. lets me clean inside the wheels, etc.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RLSebring
even in acc you can shift to any gear. Now I have never noticed if the car was trying to tell me something afterwards or not. If I didn't notice then probably wasn't.
Did you actually try to exit the car while in neutral? I'll give this a whirl later when I go over to the garage.

Thanks...
Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Rich Z
Did you actually try to exit the car while in neutral? I'll give this a whirl later when I go over to the garage.

Thanks...

I did and was successful BUT... My door was already open.

Actually what Cranky said above was my first thought but I am not sure that everyone/anyone wants to go taking the shift cable off.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Nope, that didn't work. Turning off the engine while in neutral with the door open just had the car yelping at me. Closing the door (since I wasn't keen on putting it up on the lift with the door hanging open) didn't make it very happy either, and the headlights remained on the entire time.

Surely there must be an easy way to do this?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 AM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RLSebring
I did and was successful BUT... My door was already open.

Actually what Cranky said above was my first thought but I am not sure that everyone/anyone wants to go taking the shift cable off.
it's really easy to do. i just pop off the very end of the cable from the shift arm. snaps back on easily too.......

Get notified of new replies

To Putting automatic in neutral while on lift

Quick Reply: Putting automatic in neutral while on lift