C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front pads vs rear pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM
lanczar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front pads vs rear pads

I recently replaced the front pads and rotors on my C6 coupe to eliminate the annoying brake squeal, no problem. Now I want to replace the rear pads.

Is there any difference replacing the rear pads due to the emergency/parking brake, or is it just as easy?

I seem to remember from high school that replacing the rear "Drum" brakes was more difficult due to the emergency/parking brake.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

That should not be a problem. Just make sure the parking brake is not set. A number of us have had that happen......
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 AM
07c64jb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with 'Carpe'.... make sure P-brake is not set and GENTLY work off the rear rotors. There is a flat spring inside the brake shoe. If you pop that spring loose.......well stand by. It wont do any damage, but it is a major pain in the * to get back on. Also, this is the time to readjust the P-brake shoes if needed. There are several DIY threads on this subject. Read them BEFORE you do this job. It is a very simple job. Just DON'T POP THE SPRING ! (How do I know this.....Yeah you guessed it) Good luck.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Rear pads are easy, rear rotors COULD cause a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To front pads vs rear pads

Quick Reply: front pads vs rear pads