C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with noise???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM
kr51
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with noise???

I am a new member and am driving my first Corvette. I was fortunate enough to get a 2010 Corvette GS Convertible. It is an awesome car and has fullfilled a life long dream...

I do have a noise problem and I will try to explain in detail. My driveway is somewhat inclined and so I have to make the entry very carefully and at an angle. When I brought the car home and slowly angled it up the driveway, after both front tires where over the curb, I heard and somewhat felt a "Pop" or "Thud" like noise that seemed to come from right behind my seat. It was a sound that you might experience if you had a trunk and something was rolling around in it and it hit the side. (I know that may be vague but it is hard to describe a sound). Anyway, it continues to make this sound each time I drive in or drive out of the driveway or making any turns where the car is angling up or down. It also makes this sound occassionally when I make normal turns at corners. I have asked the dealer about this but they don't have any answers. One gentlemen at a Corvette parts store said that this was a common sound in C6 Corvettes and that I shouldn't be too worried. However, I am worried and hope that someone here at the Forum may be able to shed some light. Any input or help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Loose rear axle nut?
Also, I think there was something about lubing the axle splines...

Last edited by LMB-C6; 06-10-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

You have a long warranty so I wouldn't worry about. Many earlier C6's had a similar sound coming from the differential. The cure was to change the fluid to a new type but I'm sure yours came with the newer fluid.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
E7_USAF_RET
Instructor

Originally Posted by kr51
I am a new member and am driving my first Corvette. I was fortunate enough to get a 2010 Corvette GS Convertible. It is an awesome car and has fullfilled a life long dream...

I do have a noise problem and I will try to explain in detail. My driveway is somewhat inclined and so I have to make the entry very carefully and at an angle. When I brought the car home and slowly angled it up the driveway, after both front tires where over the curb, I heard and somewhat felt a "Pop" or "Thud" like noise that seemed to come from right behind my seat. It was a sound that you might experience if you had a trunk and something was rolling around in it and it hit the side. (I know that may be vague but it is hard to describe a sound). Anyway, it continues to make this sound each time I drive in or drive out of the driveway or making any turns where the car is angling up or down. It also makes this sound occassionally when I make normal turns at corners. I have asked the dealer about this but they don't have any answers. One gentlemen at a Corvette parts store said that this was a common sound in C6 Corvettes and that I shouldn't be too worried. However, I am worried and hope that someone here at the Forum may be able to shed some light. Any input or help will be greatly appreciated.
I have the same indication with my 09 Vert. It only seems to happen on right hand turns when I am going up an incline or over draining dip at an intersection. Had the car to the dealer once for the problem and was told that they changed a rear suspension part that was not in tolerance. That quieted it down for a while but the noise came back. the noise bugs the **** out of me. I have been thinking about getting a stiffer tunnel cover plate to try to eliminate some of the body flex. Don't know if that will help my problem or not.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:13 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above suggestions are good ones. I would simply take it in to the dealer and have them (carefully) put the car up on a rack and watch them while they re-torque all the rear suspension components. I believe that adjustments are only covered under the warranty for 1 year or 12k so don't wait too long.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kr51

Please email me with your contact information so we can discuss this further.

Chris Z
Old 06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Check the axle nuts (118ft.lbs.) specifically the passenger side. Also, check the rear swaybar mounting bolts. (58ft.lbs. I think)
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Kent,
has GM resolved your problem with the clunking?
Chris
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few typical noises with these that you can find by searching. However, my 09 Z had a similar noise to yours. After a couple days at the dealer, they found that the rear lower control bolts were not torqued all the way. Car has been noise free for 4000 miles now.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I have to angle approach my driveway and I don't get get any unusual noises like you describe, only the scraping of the air dam in front of the front wheels. You have something amiss and it should be checked out by your dealer.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

any noise is normal,,,(,you will soon find out )...........
Old 06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
any noise is normal,,,(,you will soon find out )...........
This is an Oil canning popping noise that can not only be heard but felt through the armrest...It is NOT normal.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like something is not bolted in that drive train ?Q.does it do it when you aply brakes ,change gears ect.............
but does sound like something is not bolted down...........
Old 07-02-2010, 01:16 AM
E7_USAF_RET
Instructor

Since my post of 6-10-2010, I decided to take my vette back to the dealer for further investigation of the popping noise. Took it in on the 23rd and got it back yesterday with no more noise. The noise was caused by panel flexing. The corrective action was "performed PIC-4763A. Add rigidity to both panels behind the drivers and passengers seats". The service department kept me informed on their progress. The service manager was right on top of the entire process.

Hope that this will help you with your noise problem.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by E7_USAF_RET
Since my post of 6-10-2010, I decided to take my vette back to the dealer for further investigation of the popping noise. Took it in on the 23rd and got it back yesterday with no more noise. The noise was caused by panel flexing. The corrective action was "performed PIC-4763A. Add rigidity to both panels behind the drivers and passengers seats". The service department kept me informed on their progress. The service manager was right on top of the entire process.

Hope that this will help you with your noise problem.
Thanks for the reply. Can someone post some detail about "performed PIC-4763A"? How can I look this up?

Last edited by Ktzon; 07-02-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Ktzon
Thanks for the reply. Can someone post some detail about "performed PIC-4763A"? How can I look this up?
Me too.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 AM
E7_USAF_RET
Instructor

Dealer's service department faxed the document to me today. Here is the information on the document.

Document ID:2257485

#PIC4763A: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats -- Keywords body crack creak flex frame link missing noise pic4763 piinsi pop rear seam suspension turn weld -- (Mar 26, 2009)

Subject: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats.

Models: 2005-2010 corvette
2004-2009 Cadillac XLR and V-Series

PIC4763 superseded by PIC4763A to add up to 2010 model years.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of a creak type noise in the rear of the car. This noise seems to be induced as the body of the vehicle flexes. An example of this would be turning into a parking lot where the entrance has an incline.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Prior to performing the procedure below, be certain that the noise is not related to any suspension components or the panel behind the seat. Common areas of noise can be the rear stabilizer links or "oil canning" on the panel behind the seats. Technicians should isolate the rear body panel behind the driver's and or passenfer's seat to determined if the noisse can be reduced. If the noise is corrected the panel is "oil canning" and transmitting the noise. Oil can noise can be reduced by adding a small crease in the metal to reduce panel movment or adding several dimples to add rigidity to the panel. If the noise is not suspension related or the body panel, it may be necessary to continue with this PI.

Remove the fuel tanks and inspect the frame on both the left and right side of the vehicle. If a void is found, it will be necessary to re-weld this area.

Important: When MIG welding, it will be necessary to use all safety precautions since the area of concern is near the fuel tank(s).

Grind this area clean were welding is needed.
MIG weld area utilizing all safety precautions.
After welding is completed, coat area with rust inhibitor to prevent future corrosion.
Re-evaluate vehicle.

Caution: To avoid personal injury when exposed to welding flashes or to galvanized (Zinc Oxide) metal toxic fumes while grinding/cutting on any type of metal or sheet molded compound, you must work in a properly ventilated area, wearing an approved respirator, eye protection , earplugs, welding gloves, and protective clothing. This information was taken from SI Document 824779. Use labor operation S0017 if welding of the frame is required.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with noise???

Old 07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Looks like E7 USAF RET has the answer to the OPs problem.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by E7_USAF_RET
Dealer's service department faxed the document to me today. Here is the information on the document.

Document ID:2257485

#PIC4763A: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats -- Keywords body crack creak flex frame link missing noise pic4763 piinsi pop rear seam suspension turn weld -- (Mar 26, 2009)

Subject: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats.

Models: 2005-2010 corvette
2004-2009 Cadillac XLR and V-Series

PIC4763 superseded by PIC4763A to add up to 2010 model years.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of a creak type noise in the rear of the car. This noise seems to be induced as the body of the vehicle flexes. An example of this would be turning into a parking lot where the entrance has an incline.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Prior to performing the procedure below, be certain that the noise is not related to any suspension components or the panel behind the seat. Common areas of noise can be the rear stabilizer links or "oil canning" on the panel behind the seats. Technicians should isolate the rear body panel behind the driver's and or passenfer's seat to determined if the noisse can be reduced. If the noise is corrected the panel is "oil canning" and transmitting the noise. Oil can noise can be reduced by adding a small crease in the metal to reduce panel movment or adding several dimples to add rigidity to the panel. If the noise is not suspension related or the body panel, it may be necessary to continue with this PI.

Remove the fuel tanks and inspect the frame on both the left and right side of the vehicle. If a void is found, it will be necessary to re-weld this area.

Important: When MIG welding, it will be necessary to use all safety precautions since the area of concern is near the fuel tank(s).

Grind this area clean were welding is needed.
MIG weld area utilizing all safety precautions.
After welding is completed, coat area with rust inhibitor to prevent future corrosion.
Re-evaluate vehicle.

Caution: To avoid personal injury when exposed to welding flashes or to galvanized (Zinc Oxide) metal toxic fumes while grinding/cutting on any type of metal or sheet molded compound, you must work in a properly ventilated area, wearing an approved respirator, eye protection , earplugs, welding gloves, and protective clothing. This information was taken from SI Document 824779. Use labor operation S0017 if welding of the frame is required.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Holy Crap, how does GM let something like this through the inspections!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

This is the first time that I have heard of this. Who Knew!

Quick Reply: Help with noise???