C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 Vette...why do they have a bad rep?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

I am on my second 05 and all I can say is...It's made by GM! No car is the same. You may get one that turns out to be a nightmare. Or you may get one that has very little or no issues at all. I don't buy the new model thing because the little things are usually fixed within the first year of ownership, so if you buy a used one, everything should be good to go. You have just as much of a chance buying a crappy 08, or 09 as you do buying an 05. I love my vette and my past 5 vettes, but it's a GM and like Ford, or Dodge, you never know what you will get. Now, flame suit on....But over-all, the imports have been better made cars...but not necessarily better over-all cars! Run a vehicle history and service check on the car, that will tell you about it's past history!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM
FastC6Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Here's why

Originally Posted by bunk22
Why should he test an LS3 or LS7 as he clearly stated he has an LS7 motor in his car.
It is still a 2005 (baseline), and it has been modded.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont know if anyone caught the begining of this post but it said it had a 6 speed auto. That to me seems like a bigger mod mod than the ls7. There has been some serious mods done to this car wether it is a 05 or 2011. I will jump on the pro 05 wagon though. I have a 05 with over 500 rwhp with no problems including the trans or rear. It a great car.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverboost
I dont know if anyone caught the begining of this post but it said it had a 6 speed auto. That to me seems like a bigger mod mod than the ls7. There has been some serious mods done to this car wether it is a 05 or 2011. I will jump on the pro 05 wagon though. I have a 05 with over 500 rwhp with no problems including the trans or rear. It a great car.
Anytime there have been modifications to a factory car you run the risk of it becoming an unreliable car.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Scissors
Not according to actual owner surveys.

"Discussing" isn't the same as "collecting accurate data on."
The real question is do you trust the content and value of those owner surveys more than this forum?

Anyone around this forum during the earlier C6 introduction years might better understand the problems that we had or didn't have with these cars. Including the relative frequencies and severities of those troubles year to year.

Of course we had many polls and collected much data. And of course the forum itself must have all kinds of biases, as do all outside polls. But I still rely more on the forum opinions than outside polls.
e.g. what did outside polls ever conclude about DBS? Or roof separation?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:01 PM
chsmith112
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear

If you put an LS3 motor in front of the A4, the A4 would die very quickly.
Ha yeah ok, Mine seems to be holding up just fine and I have quite a bit more horses than and LS3
Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Hoonose
The real question is do you trust the content and value of those owner surveys more than this forum?
Considering that "this forum" has previously told people that they can pick up 15 HP with "high performance grounding wires", yes.

Forums just do what also happens in person--spread rumors. Rumors are rarely anywhere near as accurate as cold, hard data.

For the numbers to come up like that, according to the "first year is always worse" crowd, either 2005 owners had to lie about how many problems they were having, or 2006 owners had to make up problems that didn't exist. Alternatively the numbers came up like that because 2006, pure and simple, had more problems.

Ever hear of Occam's Razor?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 PM
MARTEASE C6
Instructor

I have an 05 Coupe, the 639th C6 produced. I have had the following issues:
  • Replaced the AC compressor
  • Had to replace the guts in the steering column due to it locking up.
  • Transmission replaced (this was mainly due to the original owner not knowing how to shift).
  • Drivers side wiring harness for the headlight
  • Passenger seat sensor for the seat belt.
  • Both rear wheel seals.
Current mileage is around 53,000.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:36 PM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Default Love my 05!!

No issues with my 2005...except I only have 4,800 miles.

Convt w/Z51, 6spd manual,Nav,polished wheels and Onstar. Millenium Yellow.

Mike Furman
Old 07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Scissors
Considering that "this forum" has previously told people that they can pick up 15 HP with "high performance grounding wires", yes. lol:

Forums just do what also happens in person--spread rumors. Rumors are rarely anywhere near as accurate as cold, hard data.

For the numbers to come up like that, according to the "first year is always worse" crowd, either 2005 owners had to lie about how many problems they were having, or 2006 owners had to make up problems that didn't exist. Alternatively the numbers came up like that because 2006, pure and simple, had more problems.

Ever hear of Occam's Razor?
I just realized that your quoted surveys were for the Vert.
So with that restriction I have to withdraw my opinion.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Tom Bixby
Cruising

{05 Coupe, the 639th C6 produced. I have had the following issuesrivers side wiring harness for the headlight]

Can you tell me what it cost to replace the wiring harness-? I have been looking at doing it to resolve the turn signal / DRL intermittent inop issues - but I read here somewhere you have to R&R the front bumber assembly. is that right.
Other issues i have had : Trans got stuck in park sometimes - @$500- to replace entire shifter because they don't sell the solenoid seperately, roof recall and TCS recall, inop drivers side seat heater, minor DBS has happened only once since batt replacement. Minor rear end chatter in reverse - cleared up after upgrade replacement of diff oil.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

The steering wheel.....
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FastC6Mike
It is still a 2005 (baseline), and it has been modded.
Yeh, it has been modded with an LS7 and other associated mods. Unless he wants to feel the handling ability of the car at the track, but motor wise, he already knows. No need if wants to feel the power of an LS7 and he's already beyond an LS3. What he should do is drive an LS2 motored car and see what he's not missing.

As for my 05, which I bought brand new in May 05, the only problem I've had is the Dead Battery Syndrome. Now I do have clutch issues but that has to do with making 450rwhp vice any problems it may have had stock. Actually, never had a problem with it until my cam went in.

Last edited by bunk22; 07-02-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:38 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bunk22
Yeh, it has been modded with an LS7 and other associated mods. Unless he wants to feel the handling ability of the car at the track, but motor wise, he already knows. No need if wants to feel the power of an LS7 and he's already beyond an LS3. What he should do is drive an LS2 motored car and see what he's not missing.

As for my 05, which I bought brand new in May 05, the only problem I've had is the Dead Battery Syndrome. Now I do have clutch issues but that has to do with making 450rwhp vice any problems it may have had stock. Actually, never had a problem with it until my cam went in.
Corvettes with (6 spd. manual) clutches just seem to have more issues vs. the A-4.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MARTEASE C6
I have an 05 Coupe, the 639th C6 produced. I have had the following issues:
  • Replaced the AC compressor
  • Had to replace the guts in the steering column due to it locking up.
  • Transmission replaced (this was mainly due to the original owner not knowing how to shift).
  • Drivers side wiring harness for the headlight
  • Passenger seat sensor for the seat belt.
  • Both rear wheel seals.
Current mileage is around 53,000.
I had heard there were problems (TSB?)on some early 2005 wiring for DRL's but haven't had any issues in this.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 AM
drsuperman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '05 with 19K plus miles on her. No problems so far....been a great vehicle
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Individual experiences accepted, the 2005 had more issues than subsequent production years. Potential crank pulley bolt failure in the first 11,039 cars was anything but a minor issue. DBS drove many of us nuts until GM finally isolated the underlying causes and issued the TSB for the BCM reflash. The annoying shift to reverse feature on the MN6 models, the radio muting issues, fuel sensor problems, delaminating roof panels, weaker rear end, etc. were all real issues. If you had the patience to deal with it all, most 2005's turned out just fine after that initial first to second year teething period. I loved my 2005 but, at times, it could be a very frustrating car to deal with.

In the OP's case, neither the motor, the transmission, nor the rear end appear to be stock; so it's unlikely he would be at any risk for the most common 2005 problems.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 Vette...why do they have a bad rep?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS WON
I had heard there were problems (TSB?)on some early 2005 wiring for DRL's but haven't had any issues in this.bigears
Reminded me of another '05 specific engineering defect. After 2 of my DRL's went out in quick succession after another a year before, my dealer replaced some parts of the wiring harnesses, both sides via my extended warranty.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-harness.html

Mine were done at the same time as my harmonic balancer, so I forgot about it.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:30 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
Individual experiences accepted, the 2005 had more issues than subsequent production years. Potential crank pulley bolt failure in the first 11,039 cars was anything but a minor issue. DBS drove many of us nuts until GM finally isolated the underlying causes and issued the TSB for the BCM reflash. The annoying shift to reverse feature on the MN6 models, the radio muting issues, fuel sensor problems, delaminating roof panels, weaker rear end, etc. were all real issues. If you had the patience to deal with it all, most 2005's turned out just fine after that initial first to second year teething period. I loved my 2005 but, at times, it could be a very frustrating car to deal with.
Well said.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BB 2005
All those mods..... sounds like someone raced it. I would go for a grandpa's garage queen that has been fussed over and never beat.
All the mods have about 3000 miles on them so it really has just been broken in.

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 Vette...why do they have a bad rep?