C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any feedback on General Exclaim tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Alright, I am FINALLY sold on the Generals.. I have been going nutss going back and fourth between these and the Nittos...I even had my own thread started over in Z06 section here. After reading this latest feedback from you guys I am gonna order a set tonight. I felt a little better seeing that pic on the other page of this thread..they look narrrower, but not to the degree I thought they might.
I am all prepared to the "softer" turn in..in fact, I forgot I had experienced that on my C5 when I went from run-craps to the BFGKDW's.. so I will not be in shock

I'll be curious to see the feedback you guys have for upping the PSI to 34 or 35 to see how the tires feel.

Thanks guys
Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Alright, I am FINALLY sold on the Generals.. I have been going nutss going back and fourth between these and the Nittos...I even had my own thread started over in Z06 section here. After reading this latest feedback from you guys I am gonna order a set tonight. I felt a little better seeing that pic on the other page of this thread..they look narrrower, but not to the degree I thought they might.
I am all prepared to the "softer" turn in..in fact, I forgot I had experienced that on my C5 when I went from run-craps to the BFGKDW's.. so I will not be in shock

I'll be curious to see the feedback you guys have for upping the PSI to 34 or 35 to see how the tires feel.

Thanks guys
FrankTank, I think you'll like them. These and the Invo's are pretty much a toss up as they are the longer lasting street tires that fit in stock sizes and BOTH have been described as softer turn in.

About the looks, the front tires seem PERFECT in fit/look, the rears are slightly narrower on the rim but I'm already over it (took like 2 seconds lol)

I'll get to do some WOT testing this weekend.....temps are expected to be in the 70's for highs and 40's for lows, good chance to compare cooler weather traction. The GY's are worthless for WOT in temps below 55, I would get massive spin in 1st and even a 2krpm smash of the throttle would kick the rear out as the LS7's tq came on around 3500-4000rpm. In other words WOT was scary 6 months out of the year in my area! If the Generals can grip in the colder months where the GY's couldn't, I'll be even more impressed.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I went for a cruise tonight and this is what I came up with. The tires had 31.5 PSI cold and after a 45 minute drive in mid 90's weather the PSI was right around 37. The tires suggest not to exceed 40PSI so I think I will leave them where they are. As far as driving I decided to push the limits a little more in terms of cornering and even with a little bit of float entering a corner the tires did hold pretty darn well. Again, not as sharp as the GY's but pretty well. And once again I tested the straight line traction with a full throttle 2nd and 3rd gear blast winding out each gear to about 6k and the tires held firm. If there was any tire slippage it was not noticeable.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
FrankTank, I think you'll like them. These and the Invo's are pretty much a toss up as they are the longer lasting street tires that fit in stock sizes and BOTH have been described as softer turn in.

About the looks, the front tires seem PERFECT in fit/look, the rears are slightly narrower on the rim but I'm already over it (took like 2 seconds lol)

I'll get to do some WOT testing this weekend.....temps are expected to be in the 70's for highs and 40's for lows, good chance to compare cooler weather traction. The GY's are worthless for WOT in temps below 55, I would get massive spin in 1st and even a 2krpm smash of the throttle would kick the rear out as the LS7's tq came on around 3500-4000rpm. In other words WOT was scary 6 months out of the year in my area! If the Generals can grip in the colder months where the GY's couldn't, I'll be even more impressed.
Silver05GTO, I dont know if you have any mods or what RWHP you are making but if you are stock or anywhere near it I have no doubt that the tires will hold traction under hard acceleration. I have 677RWHP and besides 1st gear over 5k rpm the tires hold my power.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJLS708
Ok, so I went for a cruise tonight and this is what I came up with. The tires had 31.5 PSI cold and after a 45 minute drive in mid 90's weather the PSI was right around 37. The tires suggest not to exceed 40PSI so I think I will leave them where they are. As far as driving I decided to push the limits a little more in terms of cornering and even with a little bit of float entering a corner the tires did hold pretty darn well. Again, not as sharp as the GY's but pretty well. And once again I tested the straight line traction with a full throttle 2nd and 3rd gear blast winding out each gear to about 6k and the tires held firm. If there was any tire slippage it was not noticeable.
I believe that is rated on a cold tire, but I could be wrong. I think I'll try 32psi first and then 35psi and let you know what my impressions are. BTW do you think the GY's heated up less then Generals? Did you get those psi numbers using the DIC or a gauge?

Think the "float" entering the turns will be the biggest thing to get used to. There have been folks who tracked with Generals and stuck right with Z06s on factory GY's, so I gotta think once you get past that initial float the car will still stick nearly as well as GY's.

As is known a trait of the GY's is sudden loss of grip with little warning when pushed beyond their limits, hopefully the Generals are a little more forgiving and provide more feedback as to when their limit is being reached...perhaps a postitive to their softer nature.

Yes I'm at the stock power levels, be nice to have somewhat of a 1st gear again lol.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I believe that is rated on a cold tire, but I could be wrong. I think I'll try 32psi first and then 35psi and let you know what my impressions are. BTW do you think the GY's heated up less then Generals? Did you get those psi numbers using the DIC or a gauge?

Think the "float" entering the turns will be the biggest thing to get used to. There have been folks who tracked with Generals and stuck right with Z06s on factory GY's, so I gotta think once you get past that initial float the car will still stick nearly as well as GY's.

As is known a trait of the GY's is sudden loss of grip with little warning when pushed beyond their limits, hopefully the Generals are a little more forgiving and provide more feedback as to when their limit is being reached...perhaps a postitive to their softer nature.

Yes I'm at the stock power levels, be nice to have somewhat of a 1st gear again lol.
I got the cold PSI rating with a gauge and the hot rating using the DIC while I was driving. I have compared gauge to DIC in the past and usually the DIC is accurate. I think both the Generals and GY's heated up about the same when driving in hot weather. Usually about a 5 PSI difference cold to hot. Not sure if anyone mentioned this but the tread depth is also much greater. I believe 10/32nd's and it looks like even more than that. These tires should last 25,000 miles or more. I will hope so anyway. New shoes every 10,000 miles will put me in the poor house.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Just an FYI guys on these General Tires...they are on back order now for 4-6 weeks so I will not be ordering them as I need tires now. Have a few cruises planned before winter and I can't afford to wait. Spoke with Discount Tire.com this morning. I guess I will go with the Nittos.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI guys on these General Tires...they are on back order now for 4-6 weeks so I will not be ordering them as I need tires now. Have a few cruises planned before winter and I can't afford to wait. Spoke with Discount Tire.com this morning. I guess I will go with the Nittos.
You tried tire rack?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by lilitaly11
You tried tire rack?
Tire rack has the rears in stock out of South Bend IN location..the fronts are out of stock there, but they might have some out of Atlanta GA... only problem is will cost about 100 bucks to ship

Trying to decide.

Discounttire is free shipping.

Last edited by FrankTank; 09-02-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Frank, call TireRack. They had them when I called and Discount Tire didn't. The tires are a bit less than Discount Tire but you will pay slightly more because they charge shipping. I had my tires the very next day after I ordered them.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Got my tires from a shop down the street from where I live, $870 mounted and balanced. Went in ordered on Monday, on the car by tuesday!!

FrankTank try someone else, price shouldn't be much more then the online sites....plus you still have to pay shipping and mounting charges too. I find it hard to believe I got the last set of Generals lol, probably other tire shops can get you a set......remember you'll be living with these tires for 2-3+ years, don't miss out on the Generals cause a couple online shops are "sold out"
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Sorry for jumping the gun on the back order info...was having a rough day yesterday and just got annoyed for some reason

I placed an order through tire-rack and tires should be here end of next week (no back order). Would have rather not paid shipping, but to me it was worth it ditch the free shipping and not wait the 4-6 weeks back order through Discount Tire Direct.

Total was 860 including shipping

now I am gonna go do so burn-outs and finish off the run craps
Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Sorry for jumping the gun on the back order info...was having a rough day yesterday and just got annoyed for some reason

I placed an order through tire-rack and tires should be here end of next week (no back order). Would have rather not paid shipping, but to me it was worth it ditch the free shipping and not wait the 4-6 weeks back order through Discount Tire Direct.

Total was 860 including shipping

now I am gonna go do so burn-outs and finish off the run craps
Thats it Frank, get your monies worth out of those Run Craps
Old 09-03-2010, 06:45 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Thats it Frank, get your monies worth out of those Run Craps
should be interesting...the temp here in one day dropped from 88 and humid to 65 , it actually feels cold Cold+Runcraps= whoaaaa watch out
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I don't know if the hankook evo 12's are available in Z06 sizes but I ordered a set from discount tire direct .com for 700 delivered...and for my c6 coupe z51 they are awesome.

I'll be buying them next time too...

Good luck deciding.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I don't know if the hankook evo 12's are available in Z06 sizes but I ordered a set from discount tire direct .com for 700 delivered...and for my c6 coupe z51 they are awesome.

I'll be buying them next time too...

Good luck deciding.
I don't think they are, I searched all over for Z06 tires and did not see them.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

I don't think they are, I searched all over for Z06 tires and did not see them.
After reading review after review after review and finally ordering the Generals I am 99.9% sure that they are the best tires in terms of bang for the buck.

I would rate these tires like this.

1) Dry Weather Grip.... The tires are so much better than the GY's its almost unbelievable. Hooking up a car with almost 700rwhp isn't easy and the Generals do a fantastic job.

2) Cornering..... As stated earlier the tires do give some float when entering a corner which I did expect because of the softer non run flat sidewalls. I also now suspect the tapered bead on the outer edge of the Generals contributes to the softness in the turns. With that being said the tires do still hold relatively well in turns. I have never pushed it to the edge but I have never pushed the GY's that far either.

3) Ride..... The Generals are much less harsh over bumps and potholes than the GY's. Again I believe because of the non run flat sidewalls. I have hit some bumps and potholes that I expected to be much more bone jarring and the Generals distribute the energy so much better that the GY's.

4) Road Noise...... MUCH QUIETER, end of story.

5) Tread Life..... These tires come with 10/32nd's of tread and with a 380 UTOG rating from the manufacturer I am hopeful that they will give me about 25,000 miles or more over their lifetime.

6) Wet Weather Handling...... N/A I still have not driven in the rain as of yet but I have a very long road trip scheduled next week all the way to Florida through the Tail of the Dragon, the blue ridge mountains and on the way back I will be heading to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green and a few other stops along the way so I am sure I will hit some rain somewhere. If I do I will report my findings. Others have said wet weather handling is a big improvement over the GY's so I have no reason to doubt that.

I only hope that once a lot of people start catching on to what a great tire the Generals are for the money that they don't start jacking up the prices on them. :-(
Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

After reading review after review after review and finally ordering the Generals I am 99.9% sure that they are the best tires in terms of bang for the buck.

I would rate these tires like this.

1) Dry Weather Grip.... The tires are so much better than the GY's its almost unbelievable. Hooking up a car with almost 700rwhp isn't easy and the Generals do a fantastic job.

2) Cornering..... As stated earlier the tires do give some float when entering a corner which I did expect because of the softer non run flat sidewalls. I also now suspect the tapered bead on the outer edge of the Generals contributes to the softness in the turns. With that being said the tires do still hold relatively well in turns. I have never pushed it to the edge but I have never pushed the GY's that far either.

3) Ride..... The Generals are much less harsh over bumps and potholes than the GY's. Again I believe because of the non run flat sidewalls. I have hit some bumps and potholes that I expected to be much more bone jarring and the Generals distribute the energy so much better that the GY's.

4) Road Noise...... MUCH QUIETER, end of story.

5) Tread Life..... These tires come with 10/32nd's of tread and with a 380 UTOG rating from the manufacturer I am hopeful that they will give me about 25,000 miles or more over their lifetime.

6) Wet Weather Handling...... N/A I still have not driven in the rain as of yet but I have a very long road trip scheduled next week all the way to Florida through the Tail of the Dragon, the blue ridge mountains and on the way back I will be heading to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green and a few other stops along the way so I am sure I will hit some rain somewhere. If I do I will report my findings. Others have said wet weather handling is a big improvement over the GY's so I have no reason to doubt that.

I only hope that once a lot of people start catching on to what a great tire the Generals are for the money that they don't start jacking up the prices on them. :-(

On all counts I'm with ya. Our reviews closely mirror what pretty much everyone else says about them. Fairly certain I've found the last street tire I'll ever buy for the Z06, once this set is toast, I'm buying another.

Quick Reply: Any feedback on General Exclaim tires?