C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Corvette Exhaust... What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Been running Corsa Touring system on mine since almost new (3000 miles). We now have 25,000 miles and couldn't be happier.
Same here too.......love my Touring.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

corsa sport
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
rixvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a 2005 Coupe 6 speed manual and I put Corsa Sports on my car. I was at Bloomington Gold and was able to hear a number of systems before I decided. I realy like my system. It is loud when you jump on it but normal otherwise.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
C5C6Sell
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dans C6
corsa sport
Same here
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
acrisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2005 N.C. Vette
Hey guys, my name is Mike and I just signed up today for Corvette Forum. I am a new owner of a 2005 LeMans Blue Corvette C6 and want put on some exhaust. Im looking at the SLP Loudmouth ll, but I am confused about its specifications. On the SLP site it says it comes with "mufflers", but on the Mid America Moterworks Corvette site it says it comes with "resonators". Since I live in North Carolina, which requires mufflers on vehicles, I am stumped about which site to buy from. Can I use my stock mufflers with the new pipes?

- Mike,

I'm open to all suggestions about other exhaust systems as well.
SLP Loudmouth II DRONES like hell,I guarantee you will not be happy. I had mine on my 05 6spd for about a month and could not take it anymore. I love loud and also have a very loud 06 ford diesel and a 38ft offshore boat with wide open exhaust, but this was just plain aggravating!!! trust me on this go with a Corsa Sport. ZERO drone and sounds awesome. Got mine on here new shipped to my door for $1100....
Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Charlie M
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does the corsa sports with headers sound like? any drone? without cats?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 AM
bick333
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I just did one of the muffler mods to my stock C6 mufflers. simply drilling 1" hole in outside wall of muffler and then 3/4" holes thru the exit pipe before it leaves the muffler, then sealing the 1" hole with plug or sheet metal, gives nice rumble with no drone. Can now hear the motor running.
A lot of the after market mufflers add drone and excessive noise for cruising. Do a search on muffler mods here will bring the details. pretty simple fix for minimum costs.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:25 AM
PAKev
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

NPP all the way! I had Bassanis on my 2005 coupe and there were many times I wished I could have taken them off...mainly highway driving. I have NPP on my 2006 vert and love them. I turn the mild to wild switch off for highway driving and late night driveway approaches. The rest of the time they're on and loud!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For everyone complaining about drone - in many cases (depends on what you're calling drone) it can be eliminated without swapping out the exhaust.

If you're defining drone as just a loud constant sound from the exhaust, then it may be just the exhaust, and yeah, you've got to get rid of the exhaust.

But if the drone is a sound which occurs at a specific engine rpm/speed, and it's a sound that gets really loud, but then dies off if the rpms increase/decrease, it's probably cureable.

The rear hatch of the C6 coupe can act like a really good bass horn. Combine that with rear panels that resonate at a specific frequency, and then add an exhaust that puts out sound at that specific frequency, and you have major drone.

So you can change the exhaust (some exhausts are higher pitched, getting the sound out of the trouble spot), drive at a different rpm (also changing the output frequency), or you can address the real "problem" which is the vibration of the rear hatch area, which magnifies the exhaust output.

Dynamat Xtreme or RaamMat BXT applied to the plastic tub in the rear hatch will deaden the panels, preventing the amplification of the exhausts output in that specific freqency range. Then you'll hear just the exhaust output without any drone.

With my PowerFlo exhaust installed, at 70 mph in 6th, with a light load on the engine, you couldn't hear the passenger unless they were practically shouting. The exhaust wasn't that loud from the outside of the car, and if the windows were rolled down, the drone wasn't as bad either - which pointed to the fact that it wasn't the exhaust.

It was the inside of the car reacting to the exhaust output. So instead of changing the exhaust (which I liked), I changed the portion of the car that was reacting to the exhaust, creating the drone.

Now I can still hear the exhaust, but there's no drone!

Before:

Overkill with deadening material (you really only need 30%-40% coverage, but I wanted to be thorough... ):
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy63
Get a factory NPP dual mode exhaust system. Totally legal and the best of both mild or wild sounds...
Originally Posted by sbrooks64
NPP all the way I did it and love it
Originally Posted by Wass
Same here!

If you go with NPP, buy 2008 mufflers as 2009+ mufflers will not bolt directly to 2005-2008 cars.
I installed them on my 07.

I seriously looked at the BB Fusion as well but decided against it after the factory stated that for an A6, there would be some drone even with the valves shut.

Last edited by j_digi454; 08-10-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
edwin5031
Advanced

Im also looking for an exhaust for my 07 c6, I want something louder that a BB route 66. Everybody seem to hate the BB bullet because of the drone. Stupid question what is npp ? Will a zo6 exhaust fit a regular a c6 ? I want to ask the experts .
Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Perry5610
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edwin5031
Im also looking for an exhaust for my 07 c6, I want something louder that a BB route 66. Everybody seem to hate the BB bullet because of the drone. Stupid question what is npp ? Will a zo6 exhaust fit a regular a c6 ? I want to ask the experts .
I like the NPP and put a switch on it so I can turn it off and on at will. NPP is an optional GM vacuum operated exhaust system (mufflers) which changes the path of the exhaust through the mufflers to pretty much straight through. Meaning very loud. The system is quiet when you're driving normally, but when you get over about 2500 rpm and full throttle the system opens up and it gets loud. It's possible to pull a fuse and keep the system loud all the time, or a switch can be installed to break the circuit instead of pulling the fuse, there are numerous other ways to control it.

The system is good for an extra 6 HP when its open according to GM. My dyno tuner verified that he sees the HP increase when they open up.

The basic difference between the Zo6 and c6 NPP is 3" zo6 vs 2.5" c6 exhast pipes. I'm not sure but I think the zo6 npp can be installed on a c6. There will be a mismatch in pipe size (until you put headers and 3" x pipe on
Old 08-10-2010, 02:11 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

For the OP, do yourself a favor and learn from the rest of us. Try and find a local vette club or show near you and take a listen in person to some after market exauhst. Everyone's ears are different.

The SLP Loudmouth is awesome sounding exhaust..I had it on my C5 for a long time, and have heard it on the C6 too. It is very loud and not for everyone.

Everybody here is naturally going to tell you to get what they got but you have to get what YOU like since you have to live with it in the car.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Old 08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Foleys4fun
Intermediate

Mike
Let me know how you make out. I'm in Raleigh too, and been thinking along the same lines.
Andy
Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
GregC6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corsa sports
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
2005 N.C. Vette
2nd Gear

Thank You all for the great advice and tips, I've been doing a lot of research the past few days and have found some things I like. If I did go with the billy boats with the npp would I need to take them to a specialty corvette shop for the best job? For the guys that have the billy boats will a corvette plate fit inbetween those 4in pipes?

- Mike
Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie M
what does the corsa sports with headers sound like? any drone? without cats?

1st question - sounds great
2nd question - no
3rd question - oh yeah, drone in the 15-1600 range.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Corvette Exhaust... What to get?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
drsuperman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

running Corsa Sports on my '05....
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
sneezabit
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 2005 N.C. Vette
Thank You all for the great advice and tips, I've been doing a lot of research the past few days and have found some things I like. If I did go with the billy boats with the npp would I need to take them to a specialty corvette shop for the best job? For the guys that have the billy boats will a corvette plate fit inbetween those 4in pipes?

- Mike
The B&B Fusion is basically a bolt-on system, but, not having any experience nor any way to get the car in the air, I went with a specialty corvette shop for the install. Sorry I can't answer your question on the corvette plate.

Best of luck!

-Steve
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 AM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends how loud you want it and what your willing to spend. All these systems are a fortune. I think the loudmouth II has a glasspack type muffler on it, although it is straight through. I Have NPP's on my 05, which sound good, though I wish they were louder sometimes. Not sure if they are louder then the SLP, I know they are not louder then bullets. hopefully someone else can chime in here. Good luck finding a set used though.

Quick Reply: 2005 Corvette Exhaust... What to get?